4621Re: NOPD Categorizes 1/26/2014 St. Peter Claver Shooting as Vandalism?

  • Douglas Duckworth
    Jan 29, 2014
    Thank you Mr. Flot.

    I spoke with the Commander Sandifer who was very helpful.  He told me that the officer on my audio recording confused this shooting with another which occurred on the 2000 block of Saint Philip.  Yet I do not see any crimes set that location on the map?

    Do you know why Revised Statute 14:94 "llegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities" does not apply to the shooting at N. Prieur and Saint Philip?

    Since Treme is a densely populated urban neighborhood discharging a weapon could obviously "…result in death or great bodily harm to a human being.”

    Simple criminal damage RS 14:56 can occur through many means like a baseball bat.  By using that category the public has no idea guns were used.  Simple criminal damage also brings lower penalties if the shooters were in a car.

    Furthermore, the official NOPD Crime Map actually says “Vandalism” and uses a spray paint logo.  There’s no link to the Police Report on that site which says guns were used.

    The official NOPD Crime Map does have a logo for RS 14:94 “Discharging Firearm."  That logo is a revolver which makes the criminal offense clear.

    So as this stands now there’s no way residents would ever know guns were used in this incident though the officer on the scene told me three different calibers were fired.  It sounded like a war zone so this needs to be corrected.

    Thanks
    Doug

    On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:52 PM, Garry G. Flot <ggflot@...> wrote:

    Looking into this Mr. Duckworth.