      From: Friends_of_Lafitte_Corridor__The@...
      To: dashanna@...
      Subject: October Greenway Gazette
      Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:44:17 +0000

      October Greenway Gazette

      greenwaygazettenewBanner (2) 2
      October 17, 2013

      Lafitte Greenway Efforts are Winning Awards!

      2013 Cox Conserves Heroes Award

      By Annalisa Kelly, FOLC Community Engagement Chair, communications@...

      We're excited to announce that in the past month two awards have gone to efforts associated with the Lafitte Greenway. In mid-September, FOLC co-founder Bart Everson was named the 2013 Cox Conserves Heroes award recipient in Louisiana, winning $10,000 for Friends of Lafitte Corridor. The Cox Conserves Heroes program, a partnership between Cox Communications and the Trust for Public Land, honors individuals who have made a difference in creating, preserving or enhancing outdoor places in our communities.

      Bart-Everson-2013-Cox-Conserves-Heroes-Winner

      American Society of Landscape Architects' 2013 Award of Excellence in Analysis and Planning

      By Annalisa Kelly, FOLC Community Engagement Chair, communications@...

      Design Workshop's master design plan for the Lafitte Greenway won the American Society of Landscape Architects' (ASLA) 2013 Award of Excellence in Analysis and Planning. The ASLA award honored the Lafitte Greenway Master Plan and Lafitte Corridor Revitalization Plan put together by Design Workshop for the City of New Orleans, and highlighted the plans' clear design, beautiful renderings, and community input. With the upcoming groundbreaking only months away, we're proud of the support and recognition already shown for the Greenway's advocacy and design!

      Lafitte Greenway Master Plan Design Workshop 2

      Project Updates

      Timeline Update

      By Sophie Harris, FOLC Program Director, sharris@...

      The projected start of construction of the Lafitte Greenway has been pushed back to February 2014. The original bid documents, posted last month, needed clarification. While there are no major changes to the project, the city is updating the documents and hopes to re-release the bid package by early November. This means a projected February 2015 Greenway opening. We’re anxious for the project to begin, but pleased that the city is taking such care with this project. We’ll keep you posted as the bid process progresses.

      A Smooth Connection: Basin Street Road Repaving

      By Harry Vorhoff, FOLC Vice President, vicepresident@...

      This month, road rehabilitation of Basin Street between Canal and N. Claiborne Avenue started, promising a smooth connection to the Lafitte Greenway. This $1.5 million project is part of the Paths to Progress transportation improvement program. Repairs including resurfacing, pavement patching, ADA ramp installation, curb repair, and pavement striping are scheduled to reach substantial completion in early December, 2013. For more information, contact Paths to Progress. 1-800-574-7193, email paths2progress@..., or visit www.pavingLAroads.com.

      Basin Map 3

      Upcoming Events

       Play Streets3 2

      Play Streets: Cyclovia Comes to New Orleans

      By Sam Spencer, FOLC Chair, chair@...

      On Saturday, October 26, New Orleans will join the growing list of cities to hold an open streets event, also known as a ciclovia. From 9:00 am to 1:00 pm, portions of Esplanade and Bayou Rd will be closed to cars and open to walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboarders...you name it. Our pals at Bike Easy, who are organizing this event, have dubbed it “Play Streets,” and FOLC will be there with chalk, trivia, and members of our team ready to talk about the Greenway. Play Streets is completely free and open to the public, so please join us!

      So what is a ciclovia anyway? The literal Spanish translation is bike path, but as a cultural movement it has evolved into much more than that. Put simply, it is a temporary closure of city streets to cars, with a goal of reintroducing city dwellers to the world of other possibilities for their streets, which in aggregate are often a city’s largest public spaces. Read more.

      2013 Urban Heroes

      By Dana Eness, Urban Conservancy Executive Director

      Every year, the Urban Conservancy recognizes individuals and organizations who are changing the way the rest of us think about our city. This year, we're honoring the work of three of New Orleans’ most intrepid visionaries: Greenway advocate Emelda Paul, Katrina Brees, and David Waggonner.

      Please join us for local food, drink, live music and inspiration starting at 6:30 pm on November 22 at Propeller Incubator, 4035 Washington Avenue (in the heart of Broadmoor) to honor these committed leaders.

      All-inclusive tickets are $35 ($60 for couples) when purchased in advance. Learn more about our three Urban Heroes and purchase tickets at 2013urbanheroes.eventbrite.com.

      Idea Exchange

      A Visit to the Nation’s Leading Bike Path: Midtown Greenway

      By Sophie Harris, FOLC Program Director, sharris@...

      The Active Times named Minneapolis, Minnesota’s Midtown Greenway number one urban bike path in the USA in 2013.  This rails-to-trails project runs 5.5-miles through the center of town, tying together 17 neighborhoods. Last month FOLC’s new Program Director, Sophie Harris, took an inspiring ride down the Midtown Greenway and sat down with Soren Jensen, Executive Director of the Midtown Greenway Coalition. On a Friday morning, the trail was buzzing with bikers, walkers, joggers, and rollerbladers. Many features of the Midtown Greenway are reminiscent of the greenway coming to New Orleans in 2015. Read more.

      Soren2MI2

      FOLC Meets with Milwaukee Counterparts

      By Sam Spencer, FOLC Chair, chair@...

      On September 20th, Harry Vorhoff and Sam Spencer of the FOLC Board of Directors had the pleasure of meeting with Kimberly Gieffe, Executive Director of the River Revitalization Foundation (RRF) in Milwaukee, and Ghassan A. Korban, Commissioner of Milwaukee’s Department of Public Works. Locals Danny Wiegand, the EPA’s Urban Waters Ambassador for New Orleans, and Dana Eness, Executive Director of the Urban Conservancy, also participated. We gave the Milwaukee guests a guided walking tour of the Greenway, and gathered at the Bayou Beer Garden to continue the discussion.

      Since 1994, RRF has established and maintained a beautiful parkway bordering the Milwaukee, Menomonee and Kinnickinnic Rivers for the purpose of conservation as well as public use, access, recreation, and education. Read more.

      Keep in touch with the Urban Conservancy via
      Facebook: UrbanConservancy
      Twitter:  @UrbanConserv
      Web:  urbanconservancy.org

      Keep in touch with FOLC via
      Facebook:  folc.nola
      Twitter:  @folcnola
      Web:  folc-nola.org
      Email:  info@...

      Images from top to bottom: Friends of Lafitte Corridor, Lafitte Greenway Master Plan by Design Workshop, Paths 2 Progress, Bike Easy, The Urban Conservancy, Friends of Lafitte Corridor, The Urban Conservancy
      P.O. Box 791727 | New Orleans, LA 70179

      Click to view this email in a browser

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      Friends of Lafitte Corridor
      P.O. Box 791727
      New Orleans, Louisiana 70179
      US
      Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!