Notes on 2004 HFNHL Entry Draft

  • matt_gledhill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
      Rounds 1-3 of the 2004 HFNHL Entry Draft will be held live on
      Saturday, June 19th at 10 AM EST (GMT -5:00). As for the specifics...

      1. Unless further notice is given, the draft will be held in the
      HFNHL's MSN chatroom, to which there is a link on the league
      homepage. IF YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND, you must submit a list
      detailing your preferred selections to the commissioner
      (commish@...) no later than 6 PM on Friday, June 18th. You may
      give another GM written permission to draft for you, in the form of
      an e-mail to the commissioner. However, it is still suggested that
      you provide a draft list, as you will be held responsible should the
      designated GM fail to attend and draft for you. Please note that AGMs
      must also receive permission to make selections for their team.

      2. Being 'held responsible' means that, should your team fail to be
      represented at the draft in one form or another, you will face
      termination from your GM position. Short of submitting lines, there's
      nothing more vital to a GM's duties than participating in the entry
      draft. Furthermore, any team that fails to participate in the draft
      will forfeit its picks in round 4-9. Picks in rounds 1-3 will be made
      based upon the CSB rankings (NA player will be chosen in the event of
      a tie with a Euro player in the rankings).

      3. Prospects eligible to be drafted include those on the CSB final
      rankings. More generally, all North American players born between
      January 1, 1984 and September 15, 1986 and all non-North American
      players 18 years of age or older as of September 15, 2004 are
      eligible. However, the league reserves the right to disallow any
      unranked selections in the event the player opted out of the draft
      year, and the team will not be compensated for the used pick. This
      can be done retroactively once the information becomes clear, so
      select unranked players at your own risk. Please note that the league
      will attempt to provide a list, prior to the draft, of those players
      included in the final CSB rankings that have opted out of the draft.
      If a CSB-ranked player has opted out of the NHL draft, yet has not
      been identified in the league's list, he is eligible for the 2004
      HFNHL draft. Also be aware that there are several players eligible
      for the 2004 NHL Draft that have previously been drafted in the
      HFNHL, and vice versa. (Addendum: I just realized that this year,
      the CSB list has asterisks next to the names of players who have yet
      to opt-in to the draft - ex: T.J. Hensick)

      4. Non-North American players must be drafted before they can sign
      with an HFNHL team (examples from prior years include Roman Cechmanek
      and Lubomir Visnovsky).

      5. Beginning on Wednesday, June 16th at 4 PM, a trade freeze will go
      into effect until the start of the draft (so as to finalize the draft
      order). The final draft order will be posted shortly thereafter.

      6. The results of the live rounds of the draft will be posted (as an
      Excel file in the Yahoo "Files" section) shortly after the conclusion
      of Saturday's activities. The deadline for draft lists for rounds 4-9
      has not yet been determined (Sunday, at the earliest). While it is
      acceptable for a list to simply state "Choose the highest NA player
      available from the CSB rankings", a more detailed list is ALWAYS
      preferred.

      7. I realize that compensation picks have not yet been awarded with
      regards to last year's UFA signings. Will work on getting this
      situation addressed ASAP.

      I think that covers it for now. Questions/comments are welcome, as
      always!

      Matt Gledhill
      HFNHL Commissioner
    • dniece@edulinx.ca
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
        Matt,
        Given that the start time is respectable (I think it's an hour later than
        usual) may I suggest we implement a rigid start time. Everyone should make
        sure they can get into the room the night before and work out any kinks so
        we can avoid starting late with 15-20 GM's waiting b/c one or two GM's are
        having trouble getting in.

        I will not be around for the draft (some friend inconveniently has a
        wedding that day) though if things go well I might be able to get my first
        round pick in :-)
        Please let us know who the volunteers are to cover draft list for this year
        so I can make arrangements to submit my list.

        Regards,
        H. Drew Niece
      • Corey Wells
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
          My vote is for the 10am start time that's 7am here. If it was 9 I'd be missing the draft for sure. I can't see myself getting up at 6am on a Saturday. :-)

          dniece@... wrote:

          Matt,
          Given that the start time is respectable (I think it's an hour later than
          usual) may I suggest we implement a rigid start time.  Everyone should make
          sure they can get into the room the night before and work out any kinks so
          we can avoid starting late with 15-20 GM's waiting b/c one or two GM's are
          having trouble getting in.

          I will not be around for the draft (some friend inconveniently has a
          wedding that day) though if things go well I might be able to get my first
          round pick in :-)
          Please let us know who the volunteers are to cover draft list for this year
          so I can make arrangements to submit my list.

          Regards,
          H. Drew Niece

          Corey Wells
          Director of Sales
          Leading Example
          visit our website: leadingexample.com
        • Nick Quain
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
            This is the last call to the general managers of the following teams,
            who have all failed to submit their results to their Endorsement deals.

            If they have not been submitted by Sunday, it will be assumed that none
            of the Endorsement terms were met.

            Teams needing to make their submissions:
            - Buffalo
            - Pittsburgh
            - NY Rangers
            - Washington

            Thank you for your cooperation.

            - Nick

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • matt_gledhill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              9 AM & 10 AM are the only two start times that come remotely close
              to working for all parties involved. 9 AM is a little hard for those
              on the west coast, but 10 AM requires our Australian contingent to
              stay up mighty late...although, as I recall, Dion's in Perth so it's
              not quite as hard on him. ;-)

              --- In hfnhl@yahoogroups.com, Corey Wells <coreywells@y...> wrote:
              > My vote is for the 10am start time that's 7am here. If it was 9
              I'd be missing the draft for sure. I can't see myself getting up at
              6am on a Saturday. :-)

              > dniece@e... wrote:
              > Matt,
              > Given that the start time is respectable (I think it's an hour
              later than
              > usual) may I suggest we implement a rigid start time. Everyone
              should make
              > sure they can get into the room the night before and work out any
              kinks so
              > we can avoid starting late with 15-20 GM's waiting b/c one or two
              GM's are
              > having trouble getting in.
              >
              > I will not be around for the draft (some friend inconveniently has
              > wedding that day) though if things go well I might be able to get
              my first
              > round pick in :-)
              > Please let us know who the volunteers are to cover draft list for
              this year
              > so I can make arrangements to submit my list.
              >
              > Regards,
              > H. Drew Niece
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
                Sorry, given the last couple of responses I guess I did not express myself
                correctly.
                I was not suggesting a change in time (10am seems fine) what I was
                suggesting is a drop dead time for the first pick to be made (say 10:15) to
                avoid dragging the true start time out. In every draft I can recall events
                have resulted in the actual first pick being made almost an hour after the
                supposed start time. This has always ended up in a lot of "grumbling" to
                get things going and so I was only trying to make a suggestion that may
                avoid this.

                Regards,
                H. Drew Niece

                "matt_gledhill"