Skip to search.

RE: [hf_auto] Re: Resetting stored tuning memory info

  • Ron Settle
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012

      Michael,

      Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna.  Guess it just took the old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)

      Ron

      WM9Q

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
        Good show Ron!

        Can you give me any clues on improving the memory settings on mine? Should I tune manually then go to auto in order to override the memory (alluded to in the manual), or does the memory get populated by every single auto tune cycle that results in a fully tuned solution?

        If you have any tips on getting to the ideal of "dit to tune" I'd be very interested as I am keen to avoid key-down tuning on the air, even with a few watts. Updating the memory settings appears to be the secret!

        Cheers
        Michael G7VJR

        --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

        > Michael,
        >

        > Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at
        > tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna. Guess it just took the
        > old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)
        >

        > Ron
        >
        > WM9Q

      • Randy Pence
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2012
          I Second That

          --
          Randy Pence
          N4JZY
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2012

            I followed the manual and did the manual tune and then switch to auto tune procedure.  It seemed to take about 4 or 5 attempts at using that method before the tuner realized I was serious!!;-)  From that point on , it goes to the right spot.  Something that has been important in getting to the dit to tune point is having a ferrite core on the power lead.  That is a requirement, especially running an amplifier.  Tune will be more stable and the dit to tune capability will be realizable on all bands.  I had some issues with 30 meters where the SWR meter would tend to wander during my QSO and sometimes even a tune sequence would initiate.  Once I installed the ferrite core (mix 31 I think), my issues were gone.  I can literally send a single dit, wait for the gears to stop and key down and have acceptable SWR.

            Ron

            WM9Q

            Can you give me any clues on improving the memory settings on mine? Should I tune manually then go to auto in order to override the memory (alluded to in the manual), or does the memory get populated by every single auto tune cycle that results in a fully tuned solution?

            If you have any tips on getting to the ideal of "dit to tune" I'd be very interested as I am keen to avoid key-down tuning on the air, even with a few watts. Updating the memory settings appears to be the secret!

            Cheers
            Michael G7VJR

            --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

            > Michael,
            >

            > Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at
            > tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna. Guess it just took the
            > old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)
            >

            > Ron
            >
            > WM9Q

          • Anndel
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2012

              Ron,

              I did the same as you but got “UNABLE TO TUNE” message.  It does this sometimes on 40 and most times on 80m.  I switch to Manual tune and find a low SWR then switch to Auto which goes through the tuning procedure for 1-2 minutes then the error message.  I’d switch back to manual and tune it manually then leave it.

              73,

              Delwyn KH6DC

            • Ron Settle
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2012

                Yes I would get that also… pre-ferrite.  Try a slower step speed also, that may help.

                Ron

                WM9Q

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2012
                  I saw the "UNABLE TO TUNE" message only a single time, post-ferrite.
                  This was after it looked like it had gotten in some sort of tuning
                  loop and just couldn't find the right algorithm to make the match.

                  Because it didn't make sense that this should be happening (since
                  nothing had changed), I simply repowered the tuner and that seemed to
                  fix the problem. It found the proper match the next time I asked it
                  to tune that frequency after the reboot.

                  73, de Barry, K2MF >>