Re: [hf_auto] USB Cable

  • John Dinubilo
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27 12:23 PM
      Pete,
          I inserted the disc in my computer and I get nothing.  Why?  Is there a reason for this?  What version are we on now?  Is there a way you can run new upgrade version with me.....did you get my last email, that you can take over my computer and completely do it for me.  As you know it cost me approx $100.00 to send the HF auto tuner 1500watts to your plant(Palstar) for repairing and updating....I can't afford this anymore, if I have too, I will stay with version 1.16 and forget about all new versions.  Am sorry, but I am lame with computers...my spouse does most it for me, like now, because all my fingers dexterity  has gone kaput!  I do a little emailing but after a few minutes I have to call the spouse to finished it up...what ever it may be.
            John Dinubilo N0JD

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28 4:12 AM
        Hi Ron,

        I have the same question as you:

        - Tune a perfect match on 21.010
        - QSY to 28MHz Tune a perfect match on 28.010
        - QSY back to 21.010 and tune - the HF Auto spends time seeking a match - why?

        73
        Michael G7VJR

        --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

        > I have done some antenna changes and have a few tuning memories that need to
        > be reconfigured. I thought the tuner would just store the new info but it
        > seems to want to return to the old data on the first power blip and then do
        > a complete retune on the second application of power every time for these
        > points. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to get this to work as
        > expected?
        >
        > Ron
        > WM9Q

      • Ron Settle
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28 12:24 PM

          Michael,

          Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna.  Guess it just took the old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)

          Ron

          WM9Q

          - QSY to 28MHz Tune a perfect match on 28.010
          - QSY back to 21.010 and tune - the HF Auto spends time seeking a match - why?

          73
          Michael G7VJR

          --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

          > I have done some antenna changes and have a few tuning memories that need to
          > be reconfigured. I thought the tuner would just store the new info but it
          > seems to want to return to the old data on the first power blip and then do
          > a complete retune on the second application of power every time for these
          > points. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to get this to work as
          > expected?
          >
          > Ron
          > WM9Q

        • g7vjr
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28 3:09 PM
            Good show Ron!

            Can you give me any clues on improving the memory settings on mine? Should I tune manually then go to auto in order to override the memory (alluded to in the manual), or does the memory get populated by every single auto tune cycle that results in a fully tuned solution?

            If you have any tips on getting to the ideal of "dit to tune" I'd be very interested as I am keen to avoid key-down tuning on the air, even with a few watts. Updating the memory settings appears to be the secret!

            Cheers
            Michael G7VJR

            --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

            > Michael,
            >

            > Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at
            > tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna. Guess it just took the
            > old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)
            >

            > Ron
            >
            > WM9Q

          • Randy Pence
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28 3:17 PM
              I Second That

              --
              Randy Pence
              N4JZY
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29 12:50 PM

                I followed the manual and did the manual tune and then switch to auto tune procedure.  It seemed to take about 4 or 5 attempts at using that method before the tuner realized I was serious!!;-)  From that point on , it goes to the right spot.  Something that has been important in getting to the dit to tune point is having a ferrite core on the power lead.  That is a requirement, especially running an amplifier.  Tune will be more stable and the dit to tune capability will be realizable on all bands.  I had some issues with 30 meters where the SWR meter would tend to wander during my QSO and sometimes even a tune sequence would initiate.  Once I installed the ferrite core (mix 31 I think), my issues were gone.  I can literally send a single dit, wait for the gears to stop and key down and have acceptable SWR.

                Ron

                WM9Q

                Can you give me any clues on improving the memory settings on mine? Should I tune manually then go to auto in order to override the memory (alluded to in the manual), or does the memory get populated by every single auto tune cycle that results in a fully tuned solution?

                If you have any tips on getting to the ideal of "dit to tune" I'd be very interested as I am keen to avoid key-down tuning on the air, even with a few watts. Updating the memory settings appears to be the secret!

                Cheers
                Michael G7VJR

                --- In hf_auto@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Settle" <settleron@...> wrote:

                > Michael,
                >

                > Good news, I got mine to take the new setting after several attempts at
                > tuning the same old frequency with the new antenna. Guess it just took the
                > old girl a few times to realize I was serious about the new settings!!! ;-)
                >

                > Ron
                >
                > WM9Q

              • Anndel
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29 1:10 PM

                  Ron,

                  I did the same as you but got “UNABLE TO TUNE” message.  It does this sometimes on 40 and most times on 80m.  I switch to Manual tune and find a low SWR then switch to Auto which goes through the tuning procedure for 1-2 minutes then the error message.  I’d switch back to manual and tune it manually then leave it.

                  73,

                  Delwyn KH6DC

                • Ron Settle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 29 7:42 PM

                    Yes I would get that also… pre-ferrite.  Try a slower step speed also, that may help.

                    Ron

                    WM9Q

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30 2:32 AM
                      I saw the "UNABLE TO TUNE" message only a single time, post-ferrite.
                      This was after it looked like it had gotten in some sort of tuning
                      loop and just couldn't find the right algorithm to make the match.

                      Because it didn't make sense that this should be happening (since
                      nothing had changed), I simply repowered the tuner and that seemed to
                      fix the problem. It found the proper match the next time I asked it
                      to tune that frequency after the reboot.

                      73, de Barry, K2MF >>