Switch ON PC when Everything is OFF via Mobilephone when away DONE

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hi

      For sometime I have needed to find a solution for the following scenarios.

      The computer running heyu is OFF and the RF remotes are not working

      RF remotes could have flat battery's, or I'm away from home or the remotes in an inaccessable place

      Stuff I control via RF remotes are on house code A
      I have the heyu box on F7 to avoid alloff

      When EVERYTHING is OFF (usually at night), to start things up I just press RF Remote A1 ON. This triggers F7 (done in x10.sched file)

      If I am going out/ away I usually run a script that shuts everything down and appends a scheduled ON time to the x10.sched file. I have 4 set on times I can choose from in the x10.conf:

      ALIAS Arnie3pm_Arnie10pm J3 StdAM
      ALIAS Arnie4pm_Arnie9pm J4 StdAM

      SCRIPT Arnie3pm_Arnie10pm off sndc snds :: /home/sbin/halt.pl --alloff -t 15:15
      SCRIPT Arnie3pm_Arnie10pm on sndc snds :: /home/sbin/halt.pl --alloff -t 22:15
      SCRIPT Arnie4pm_Arnie9pm off sndc snds :: /home/sbin/halt.pl --alloff -t 16:00
      SCRIPT Arnie4pm_Arnie9pm on sndc snds :: /home/sbin/halt.pl --alloff -t 21:00

      The halt script turns everything in the house off gracefully, logging into hosts, saving VirtualBox instances and then shutting the hosts down, before turning of their power.

      the -t tells the halt script to run another script that generates an addendum to the existing x10.sched (not altering the x10.sched file, it creates a new tmp x10.sched file and uploads that)), here is an example (it shows I press the button at 12:59 allowing 10 mins to shut everything off)

      timer smtwtfs 01/01-12/31 13:09 22:15 autoretaineroff autoretaineron

      # This turns ON the main Server Robot PC
      macro autoretaineron on f7; on a1,7
      macro autoretaineroff off f7

      So then when everything else is off, this sched is uploaded and the heyu PC shuts itself down and at 13:09 F7 is turned OFF

      If I am just shutting everything of for the night (going to sleep) I just press OFF A16
      x10.conf:
      ALIAS alloff_status A16 StdAM
      ALIAS script_jill_selfoff B7 VDATA

      SCRIPT alloff_status off anysrc :: /home/sbin/halt.pl --alloff

      SCRIPT script_jill_selfoff off sndc snds :: /home/sbin/x10heyuaddtimer.pl --delayoff 250 --offmacro autoretaineroff --timeon 07:15 --onmacro autoretaineron

      Halt does a 'heyu off script_jill_selfoff' which tells the system to start up at 7:15am

      However I wanted to be able to switch everything back on when out (I maybe coming home early) or for the other reasons stated above.

      Solution:

      Unsolder the Vibrate motor from a mobile phone, solder to cables to where the vibrate motor was and attach other end to a SM10U programmed to send out a D1 All on D code and D1 off when phone stops ringing.

      Hardware:
      Marmitek X10 Powerflash Contact Closure Switch SM10U
      Old Mobile phone with Vibrate motor

      x10.sched:
      trigger d1 on autoretaineron

      x10.conf: (Not needed but could be useful to test via heyu)
      ALIAS arniemobile D1 StdAM

      I use X10 commander APP on my iPhone when on my wireless network and the Lightswitch APP for when not on wireless network, it uses my public dysdns hostname.

      It's best to have the SM10U on a house code with no devices attached as it sends out an ALLON on D

      So I ask Siri to phone Arnie (Contact name for PC running heyu), phone rings the other mobile (I could just send a txt too). That mobile phone sends a current across the SM10U, the SM10U sends D ALL ON and D1 off when call ends, D1 triggers F7 and the PC (Arnie) startups. 5 Mins later I can control it via Lightswitch APP.

      Hope this helps others.

      M.
    • bill williams
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        Interesting solution - what your basically trying to do is remotely trigger an x10 device to wake up your house - which from what I read, includes your computer.
        Even though I am an electrical engineer I am still a little apprehensive about prying a phone apart to get an output signal.  Your solution also implies (to me) that a dedicated cell phone would have to be left at the house to wake up the system(s).

        I'd be more inclined to run a small plug computer or a rasberry pi and either have it take the place of your phone or run the entire heyu application.

        You would have to set up a mail program on it, e.g. postifx, and from your cell, send a specially formatted txt message and have the mailer parse and execute the message.  I haven't done this but am pretty sure it is possible...would just have to take some digging and configuring postfix the right way.

        You could avoid the mail program issue by running a web server on the plug pc and use heyu web interface to toggle the 'system wake up' state.

        Just some ideas that perhaps you didn't consider

        -bill

      • Peter Dahlheimer
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          another method i have used is wake on lan.  i had an app(lication) on my phone which would do that via a clickable widget.  i installed tomato on my router to do it, but many routers will issue a wol broadcast oob.

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
            Both of your solutions are great but I needed a more low tech reliable solution.

            The Mobile phone gets charged while the PC is on (both are on the same F7 mains supply) and even if I was away for many days without the PC switching on, the elegant thing about the mobile phone is... they give a warning before powering off which sets of the vibrator and as already posted that will set off the X10 device which will trigger F1 ALL on F, turning on F7 the PC and also the charger for the mobile phone.

            Wakeon LAN is ok if your PC supports it and your ISP router supports it, many don't including mine.

            Raspberry PI would be good too but it is still ON and therefore can still crash. Also wanted as little power being used as poss when asleep and away... ie just freezers and usual HAVETOBEON's

            NON smart old mobile phones rarely cause problems, I'm not doing SMS because it is sighted where I cannot get to it so I will be unable to remove SMS from the INBOX. Usually only UNREAD messages can set be to be overwritten.

            I main aim was to go as low level/reliable tech as poss. The Vibrator motor hack is a standard hardware hack on mobile phones.

            So its now been working lovely since new years eve, to test it works I have also made the trigger a light coming on since when testing the PC (F7) will no doubt be already on.

            I am going to move the software over from my Linux box to an ARM board, just waiting to get the Quad core board and port it to that, I need festival speech running and the Pi is too slow to handle that for my needs. The Arm Quad core is the one that runs XBMC Frodo, I forget the name of it.

            Again both your solutions are great to, I just wanted to go more low level. Thanks for replying. ;-)

            --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
            [snip]
          • Kris Beazley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
              The 1 problem with the whole scenario is that your mobile phone requires at
              least a basic payment plan so to allow it to communicate with the wireless
              cell towers. I guess if you got a great deal where you're charged by the
              amount service you used that would be best but you're still getting charged
              regardless. A free solution would be the best solution if you can find out
              how to do that way.
              On Jan 4, 2013 7:26 AM, "Mark" <yahoo@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Both of your solutions are great but I needed a more low tech reliable
              > solution.
              >
              > The Mobile phone gets charged while the PC is on (both are on the same F7
              > mains supply) and even if I was away for many days without the PC switching
              > on, the elegant thing about the mobile phone is... they give a warning
              > before powering off which sets of the vibrator and as already posted that
              > will set off the X10 device which will trigger F1 ALL on F, turning on F7
              > the PC and also the charger for the mobile phone.
              >
              > Wakeon LAN is ok if your PC supports it and your ISP router supports it,
              > many don't including mine.
              >
              > Raspberry PI would be good too but it is still ON and therefore can still
              > crash. Also wanted as little power being used as poss when asleep and
              > away... ie just freezers and usual HAVETOBEON's
              >
              > NON smart old mobile phones rarely cause problems, I'm not doing SMS
              > because it is sighted where I cannot get to it so I will be unable to
              > remove SMS from the INBOX. Usually only UNREAD messages can set be to be
              > overwritten.
              >
              > I main aim was to go as low level/reliable tech as poss. The Vibrator
              > motor hack is a standard hardware hack on mobile phones.
              >
              > So its now been working lovely since new years eve, to test it works I
              > have also made the trigger a light coming on since when testing the PC (F7)
              > will no doubt be already on.
              >
              > I am going to move the software over from my Linux box to an ARM board,
              > just waiting to get the Quad core board and port it to that, I need
              > festival speech running and the Pi is too slow to handle that for my needs.
              > The Arm Quad core is the one that runs XBMC Frodo, I forget the name of it.
              >
              > Again both your solutions are great to, I just wanted to go more low
              > level. Thanks for replying. ;-)
              >
              > --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
              > [snip]

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                I just got the Mobile a free SIM and topped it up with the Minimum possible £5.

                Since the Mobile is only ever receiving Calls or TXT so it never uses any of the $5 top up.

                Since I test it once a day from my mobile (I ring once then hang up, so it's free to call), the Mobile provider consider that the phone is active.

                Hope that helps

                --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, Kris Beazley wrote:

                > The 1 problem with the whole scenario is that your mobile phone requires at
                > least a basic payment plan so to allow it to communicate with the wireless
                > cell towers. I guess if you got a great deal where you're charged by the
                > amount service you used that would be best but you're still getting charged
                > regardless. A free solution would be the best solution if you can find out
                > how to do that way.
                > On Jan 4, 2013 7:26 AM, "Mark" wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Both of your solutions are great but I needed a more low tech reliable
                > > solution.
                > >
                > > The Mobile phone gets charged while the PC is on (both are on the same F7
                > > mains supply) and even if I was away for many days without the PC switching
                > > on, the elegant thing about the mobile phone is... they give a warning
                > > before powering off which sets of the vibrator and as already posted that
                > > will set off the X10 device which will trigger F1 ALL on F, turning on F7
                > > the PC and also the charger for the mobile phone.
                > >
                > > Wakeon LAN is ok if your PC supports it and your ISP router supports it,
                > > many don't including mine.
                > >
                > > Raspberry PI would be good too but it is still ON and therefore can still
                > > crash. Also wanted as little power being used as poss when asleep and
                > > away... ie just freezers and usual HAVETOBEON's
                > >
                > > NON smart old mobile phones rarely cause problems, I'm not doing SMS
                > > because it is sighted where I cannot get to it so I will be unable to
                > > remove SMS from the INBOX. Usually only UNREAD messages can set be to be
                > > overwritten.
                > >
                > > I main aim was to go as low level/reliable tech as poss. The Vibrator
                > > motor hack is a standard hardware hack on mobile phones.
                > >
                > > So its now been working lovely since new years eve, to test it works I
                > > have also made the trigger a light coming on since when testing the PC (F7)
                > > will no doubt be already on.
                > >
                > > I am going to move the software over from my Linux box to an ARM board,
                > > just waiting to get the Quad core board and port it to that, I need
                > > festival speech running and the Pi is too slow to handle that for my needs.
                > > The Arm Quad core is the one that runs XBMC Frodo, I forget the name of it.
                > >
                > > Again both your solutions are great to, I just wanted to go more low
                > > level. Thanks for replying. ;-)
                > >
                > > --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
                > > [snip]

              • Ed Dippold
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                  I am not sure if this is available in UK; but, can you get a telephone transponder for X10 that we have here in the states?  You connect it to a landline phone and it answers the phone after so many rings.  Then using your touchpad on your cellphone, you can input a security code  (that you set) to gain access to the transponder.  After that, you input a house code and a unit code and the function (on/off) and the transponder then sends the command onto its powerline.

                  I used a transponder some years ago to control the power to a T-1 router that liked to hang occasionally.  It was very convenient for me as all I needed to do was call the landline number for the transponder and I could then power cycle the recalcitrant router.

                  Edwin Dippold

                  A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

                  I just got the Mobile a free SIM and topped it up with the Minimum possible £5.

                  Since the Mobile is only ever receiving Calls or TXT so it never uses any of the $5 top up.

                  Since I test it once a day from my mobile (I ring once then hang up, so it's free to call), the Mobile provider consider that the phone is active.

                  Hope that helps

                  --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, Kris Beazley  wrote:

                  > The 1 problem with the whole scenario is that your mobile phone requires at
                  > least a basic payment plan so to allow it to communicate with the wireless
                  > cell towers.  I guess if you got a great deal where you're charged by the
                  > amount service you used that would be best but you're still getting charged
                  > regardless.  A free solution would be the best solution if you can find out
                  > how to do that way.
                  > On Jan 4, 2013 7:26 AM, "Mark"  wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > Both of your solutions are great but I needed a more low tech reliable
                  > > solution.
                  > >
                  > > The Mobile phone gets charged while the PC is on (both are on the same F7
                  > > mains supply) and even if I was away for many days without the PC switching
                  > > on, the elegant thing about the mobile phone is... they give a warning
                  > > before powering off which sets of the vibrator and as already posted that
                  > > will set off the X10 device which will trigger F1 ALL on F, turning on F7
                  > > the PC and also the charger for the mobile phone.
                  > >
                  > > Wakeon LAN is ok if your PC supports it and your ISP router supports it,
                  > > many don't including mine.
                  > >
                  > > Raspberry PI would be good too but it is still ON and therefore can still
                  > > crash. Also wanted as little power being used as poss when asleep and
                  > > away... ie just freezers and usual HAVETOBEON's
                  > >
                  > > NON smart old mobile phones rarely cause problems, I'm not doing SMS
                  > > because it is sighted where I cannot get to it so I will be unable to
                  > > remove SMS from the INBOX. Usually only UNREAD messages can set be to be
                  > > overwritten.
                  > >
                  > > I main aim was to go as low level/reliable tech as poss. The Vibrator
                  > > motor hack is a standard hardware hack on mobile phones.
                  > >
                  > > So its now been working lovely since new years eve, to test it works I
                  > > have also made the trigger a light coming on since when testing the PC (F7)
                  > > will no doubt be already on.
                  > >
                  > > I am going to move the software over from my Linux box to an ARM board,
                  > > just waiting to get the Quad core board and port it to that, I need
                  > > festival speech running and the Pi is too slow to handle that for my needs.
                  > > The Arm Quad core is the one that runs XBMC Frodo, I forget the name of it.
                  > >
                  > > Again both your solutions are great to, I just wanted to go more low
                  > > level. Thanks for replying. ;-)
                  > >
                  > > --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
                  > > [snip]

                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                    I don't know whether there is a UK one, did not know they existed. I have an emergency CALL system with a pendant for my place.

                    Interesting what you said about the router, I had troubles with one last year and setup a script to ping google and if the ping failed for a set amount of times over a few minutes the script then power cycled the X10 device for the router.

                    This technique is also useful for bandwidth shaping ISP's ;-)

                    --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, Ed Dippold wrote:

                    > I am not sure if this is available in UK; but, can you get a telephone transponder for X10 that we have here in the states?  You connect it to a landline phone and it answers the phone after so many rings.  Then using your touchpad on your cellphone, you can input a security code  (that you set) to gain access to the transponder.  After that, you input a house code and a unit code and the function (on/off) and the transponder then sends the command onto its powerline.
                    >
                    > I used a transponder some years ago to control the power to a T-1 router that liked to hang occasionally.  It was very convenient for me as all I needed to do was call the landline number for the transponder and I could then power cycle the recalcitrant router.
                    >
                    > Edwin Dippold
                    >
                    > A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

                  • Ed Dippold
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
                      Again, some years ago, my employer at the time had a Cisco router to our ISP that started to hang.  Since we were changing ISP's at the time, we did not want the old ISP to come in to troubleshoot the problem.  Of all things, the ISP's router liked to hang at random times all day long.  The only cure to fix it was a power cycle.  Well, I had to setup a small Linux box running heyu since I got tired at running to the router 10 to 20 times a day.  Instead, I wrote a shell script that pinged yahoo.com every 5 minutes.  If the ping failed, the script would then use heyu to power cycle the router using a firecracker, a TM751 and an appliance module.  Fortunately, this setup was only needed for a couple weeks.

                      Edwin Dippold

                      A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.