Re: [heyu_users] Starting Heyu at boot

  • Ed Dippold
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2012
      I use the following in my rc.local file (Fedora 14) and have had no problems:

      su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu start' etd607

      In this way, heyu starts running as user etd607 instead of root.

      Edwin Dippold

      A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2012
        Thanks Ed,

        What is the reason you use a non-root user? I've actually always had a
        problem using non-root, IIRC heyu complains about its log file not being
        writable.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2012
          There are a number of reasons:
          1) Root needs to be protected and should not be the user for normal programs.  There are other Unix admins on this mailing list who can give you the full explanation.  I am an old Netware admin and I would never use the Admin account for day to day operations, only for time when I needed the su power.

          2) I am running festival (voice synthesis software) on my server so that it can announce time and any errors that could occur.  With Fedora 14, when you start festival, pulseaudio also starts.  For whatever reason, root cannot run pulseaudio but my login (etd607) can.  I have checked how etd607 is set up (rights, groups) and root and have found them to be identical and yet root cannot run pulseaudio.  Go figure.

          3) The permissions of the "logfile" are probably -rw------ for user root.  Is your reference to the logfile being /var/log/messages?

          Here is an example script from my x10.conf:

          SCRIPT B7 changed on anysrc :: echo "The kitchen lite is now on." | festival --tts

          This script line then announces out of the server's speakers that "the kitchen lite is now on" when B7 is changed and turned on.  If I was running heyu using root as the user, there would be dead silence from the speakers.

          Here is how I use festival in my rc.local along with heyu.  These lines are at the very bottom of rc.local.  HAL900 is the name of my server.  What is funny is that the festival voice is female.lol

          su -l -c 'echo "Hal 9000 is booted and ready for work." | /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
          su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
          su -l -c 'echo "Turning off all X ten units." | /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
          su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu kill_all_hc' etd607
          su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
          su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn E13 on' etd607
          su -l -c 'echo "Resetting X ten units to default configuration." | /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
          su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn B8,13 on' etd607
          #su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn A10 on' etd607

          Note:  The first line "HAL 9000....." lets me know when the server has booted.  Otherwise, I would not know.  (I don't have a monitor on my server).

          Edwin Dippold

          A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

          What is the reason you use a non-root user?  I've actually always had a
          problem using non-root, IIRC heyu complains about its log file not being
          writable.

          Tom

          On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Ed Dippold <etd607@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I use the following in my rc.local file (Fedora 14) and have had no
          > problems:
          >
          > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu start' etd607
          >
          > In this way, heyu starts running as user etd607 instead of root.
          >
          > Edwin Dippold
          >
          > A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

        • Tom Weichmann
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
            OK, here is a little more info on my problem of heyu not starting properly
            at boot:

            When I execked the logs I got this:
            12/07 09:11:13 Engine started
            12/07 09:11:15 Poll received unknown value (1 bytes), leading byte = 7e

            Anyone have a clue what this poll unknown value might mean?

            Also the processes look like this after boot w/o RF working:

            root 1946 0.0 0.0 2968 560 ttyS4 Ss+ 09:11 0:00 heyu_relay
            bin/heyu start
            root 2108 0.3 0.0 2976 668 ? Ss 09:11 0:00
            heyu_engine in/heyu start
            root 2109 0.0 0.0 2972 568 ttyS5 Ss+ 09:11 0:00 heyu_aux
            l/bin/heyu start

            but after I restart heyu they look different and now RF works:

            tom@orbital-desktop /var/log $ sudo heyu stop
            tom@orbital-desktop /var/log $ sudo heyu start
            starting heyu_relay
            starting heyu_engine
            starting heyu_aux
            tom@orbital-desktop /var/log $ ps aux | grep heyu
            root 3184 0.0 0.0 2968 568 ttyS4 Ss+ 09:16 0:00 heyu_relay
            root 3186 0.0 0.0 2976 676 ? Ss 09:16 0:00 heyu_engine
            root 3187 0.0 0.0 2972 576 ttyS5 Ss+ 09:16 0:00 heyu_aux t
            tom@orbital-desktop /var/log $

            Any ideas?

            Thanks,

            Tom Weichmann

          • sbashed
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
              I had a similar issue as this when I was running Heyu as a root on my CentOS5.x server. I hacked it in a similar way as you did with your Ubuntu 11.04 installation, although I also added a cron to restart the engine daily. That helped maintain about 95% stability.

              I will also note that my Heyu installation is running on an unstable host. It reboots every few days due to a hardware issue, so I definitely noticed when Heyu stopped responding due to not starting properly on boot.

              However, when I built a php web interface for heyu and such, I had stop running things as root (for security and inter-connectivity between services/programs). Thus, I employed a simple command in my rc.local much like Ed's command to invoke heyu under a service user. This made the issue magically disappear and I have not had any issues since.

              Now, I do not recall what the logs said, but I do know that Heyu thought it was running even though it was not. Which is why the symptoms were alleviated when I restarted heyu after starting it (in the rc.local).

              So that said, try out a service account. Create the account, make sure you set a log directory which the service account can write to in they x10.conf (or give it write permission to the /var/log dir). You may need to fiddle with Ed's command to get it working for you (in Ubuntu). But like I said, it magically fixed the issue for me, and by all means it is the proper way to do things.

              If you do not really want to do that, have you tried putting the full path to the heyu binary? (/usr/bin/heyu engine vs heyu engine) - there is no telling where the PATH variables have populated properly when the rc scripts run. Also, I would like to see your startup logs, or any other log that might have something meaningful to heyu and the boot process on your machine (/var/log/messages, /var/log/boot - stuff like that).

              --- In heyu_users@yahoogroups.com, Tom Weichmann <tom@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > are at the very bottom of rc.local. HAL900 is the name of my server. What
              > > is funny is that the festival voice is female.lol
              > >
              > > su -l -c 'echo "Hal 9000 is booted and ready for work." |
              > > /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
              > > su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
              > > su -l -c 'echo "Turning off all X ten units." | /usr/bin/festival --tts'
              > > etd607
              > > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu kill_all_hc' etd607
              > > su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
              > > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn E13 on' etd607
              > > su -l -c 'echo "Resetting X ten units to default configuration." |
              > > /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
              > > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn B8,13 on' etd607
              > > #su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn A10 on' etd607
              > >
              > > Note: The first line "HAL 9000....." lets me know when the server has
              > > booted. Otherwise, I would not know. (I don't have a monitor on my

            • Ed Dippold
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
                Could you reply with a copy of your rc.local file?  Something looks funky; but, I cannot place my finger on it.  Also, include the section of your x10.conf that shows the value of TTY_AUX.  Thanks.

                Edwin Dippold

                A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.

> [...]

                > are at the very bottom of rc.local.  HAL900 is the name of my server.  What
                > is funny is that the festival voice is female.lol
                >
                > su -l -c 'echo "Hal 9000 is booted and ready for work." |
                > /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
                > su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
                > su -l -c 'echo "Turning off all X ten units." | /usr/bin/festival --tts'
                > etd607
                > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu kill_all_hc' etd607
                > su -l -c '/bin/sleep 5' etd607
                > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn E13 on' etd607
                > su -l -c 'echo "Resetting X ten units to default configuration." |
                > /usr/bin/festival --tts' etd607
                > su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn B8,13 on' etd607
                > #su -l -c '/usr/local/bin/heyu turn A10 on' etd607
                >
                > Note:  The first line "HAL 9000....." lets me know when the server has
                > booted.  Otherwise, I would not know.  (I don't have a monitor on my

              • Ed Dippold
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
                  I wll second the mention of the PATH variable.  If I run heyu as root, I need to specify the full file name to any executable in the x10.conf.  If I run heyu as etd607, I can get away with just the file name without the directory as long as the file is in the PATH for the service account (in my case etd607).

                  Edwin Dippold

                  A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+.