Fwd: Heycuz.net website (Martin Fisher)

  • April Pastis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      Sylvia and Other Fisher Researchers:

      I can't find my Fisher File. I've put off answering this query because her question deserves a researched response. Does anyone know off hand what links Martin Fisher to Philip Fisher, the son of Michael Fisher and Christina Earnhardt? The court case she quotes mentions all of the siblings we have and also the death date we have. So it probably is him.

      What do you think?

      April

      Begin forwarded message:

      First of all, THANK YOU, for sharing your wonderful data online.  I'm researching this line for a friend, Ronald Fisher - who is actually on the site.

      I got so much information for him, and I'm having great fun adding it to my database to give to him.  I do have a question though, on Phillip Fisher (1788 - 1870) who married Phoebe Thias Dice.  I was showing them having a son Martin Fisher (1822 - bef 1907) who married Elizabeth Griffen.

      However, based on the following suit I'm not sure I have this correct. If the people listed are the only heirs of Philip, then Martin can't be his son.

      From: WILSON COUNTY, TENNESSEE CHANCERY COURT RECORDS 1842-1892 by Thomas E. Partlow, comes the following:
      Page 100, Bill of complaint of Jacob W. Fisher of Smith County against Phoebe P. Fisher, widow of Philip Fisher; James Swan and wife Elizabeth, Wesley Melton and wife Melissa, Susan Manning, James Bell and wife Sarah Ann of Wilson County; Henry Wheeler and wife Louisa, George Fisher and wife Caroline of Bedford County; Thomas C. Cartwright and wife Polly, Samuel Thompson and wife Martha of Kentucky. Complainants and defendants are the only heirs of Philip Fisher who died intestate on 11 Apr 1870. 10 August 1870 (Pp. 565-571)

      If this is indeed Phoebe Dice Fisher, widow of Phillip Fisher, then why isn't Martin listed?  Have you already figured this out and I'm just "running behind? :)  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  Thank you again!

      Vicki Rice

      * * * * * * * * * * * http//heycuz.net * * * * * * * * * * * *

      "There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his."                      - Helen Keller

    • April Pastis
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        Opal was telling me that she and her sister Wava missed the birthdays for the last few months. And, since both Opal and Wava's birthdays are in October, I thought I'd attach this month's birthday list to this email.

        Previous months birthdays can be found by clicking these links (you can right-click them to save the text files to your computer):

      • Sylvia Lane
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hi April

          I know the lawsuit that is referred to. This is one of the problems I had connection Martin to Phillip Fisher. He is not mentioned in the lawsuit, because he had already left home and his father had probably already given him his portion of the estate. One of this sisters had also gotten married and was given a horse as her portion of the estate. Since the horse was taken by the North for use in the Civil War, the lawsuit returned to that sister the value of the horse.

          There is another notation in the Wilson County records that charged Martin Fisher with Disturbing Public Worship.

          The papers  of this lawsuit are in Wilson County's loose records and contain about 150 pages. I have a copy of the entire lawsuit. The lawsuit was brought by Philip Fisher's brother who tried to prove that he was entitled to the entire estate and that the wife and children were not entitled to anything. There was also a side issue when a neighbor tried to claim part of Phillip Fisher's land.

          About the time Philip Fisher passed away, Martin and his wife Elizabeth totally disappear. I have not found them anywhere until Martin turned up in Williamson County.

          Do you need me to search for any more information?

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
            Sorry April,

            I got carried away with the lawsuit and forgot to answer your question. Martin Fisher is not officially linked to Phillip on any official document that I located. The census that would connect him only lists him by age. He died at a time that a death certificate is not available.

            The records of James Bradford list Martin as a child of Phillip Fisher. Also the Fisher Family history by Audrey Gardner list Philip as having a son names Martin that married Elizabeth Griffin and had a second wife Mary Owens.

            I also have never located a grave for Elizabeth Griffin Fisher.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
              Sylvia,

              Thank you so much for the information. Did you write to Vicki? I think she'd love to exchange information with you.

              April

              On Oct 6, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Sylvia Lane wrote:

              Sorry April,

              I got carried away with the lawsuit and forgot to answer your question. Martin Fisher is not officially linked to Phillip on any official document that I located. The census that would connect him only lists him by age. He died at a time that a death certificate is not available.

              The records of James Bradford list Martin as a child of Phillip Fisher. Also the Fisher Family history by Audrey Gardner list Philip as having a son names Martin that married Elizabeth Griffin and had a second wife Mary Owens.

              I also have never located a grave for Elizabeth Griffin Fisher.

              * * * * * * * * * * *  Greetingsfromapril.com * * * * * * * * * * * *

                          I am having an out-of-money experience

            • Sylvia Lane