Re: [hex-beam] Why is My Hex Deaf??

  • Anthony MW0JZE
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi all,

      I use parachute cord when making my element spacers, although the SWR changes a little when it is wet I do not find any change in the performance, PS I live by the sea and we get our fair share of rain! I would imagine if you are getting a huge performance drop it could be water getting into the center-post! I use stainless steel nuts/bolts on the center post, mine have been up for 6 months and were checked last week, no corrosion on them at all. One thing I do is to spray the center-post, I pay particular attention to around the feed points. A good dose of spray paint around them will stop ANY water getting in (don't spray the thread).

      I have made quite a few now and never seen any major problems when it rains, which is most of the time in Wales :-(

      GOOD LUCK!

      73's Ant MWØJZE
      HEXBEAM Nut!
      Elecraft K3 #485
      MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
      www.mc0shl.com
      www.mw0jze.co.uk
      www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
      Seach my log on line
      http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
      Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
        Ant

        Do you seal your centre posts top and bottom?

        I tend to favour leaving the bottom open to allow any moisture to escape.

        73, Rob
        G4LMW
        http://www.G4LMW.co.uk

        ________________________________

        On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 08:20 +0000, peterblackadder wrote:
        > G'day Hex-Nuts
        >
        > I have a KI4USA 5 band hex and before it rained woked fine.
        > Now as we are into our "wet" season and after a couple of showwers of rain
        > it appears to be deaf in comparison to my OCF dipole, yet when I put it up
        > there was a noteable difference in signals between the two.
        > Now there is a big difference the hex appears deaf on known strong
        > signals.
        >
        > Any clues apart from taking down and rechecking the dimensions again.

        My guess is that the end spacers are saturated and conducting. What did
        you use for the end spacers?

        Black Dacron cord is recommended.

        If you find that this is continually an issue, you may have to re
        engineer the end spacers and put something like a small ceramic egg in
        the middle of them.

        Steve might have some ideas for combating this problem.

      • Scott Day
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
          If you are using a balun, it could easily be full of water. At least 2 of us
          have found this out the hard way.
          Sarge

          On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:20 AM, peterblackadder <
          peterblackadder@...> wrote:

          > G'day Hex-Nuts
          >
          > I have a KI4USA 5 band hex and before it rained woked fine.
          > Now as we are into our "wet" season and after a couple of showwers of rain
          > it appears to be deaf in comparison to my OCF dipole, yet when I put it up
          > there was a noteable difference in signals between the two.
          > Now there is a big difference the hex appears deaf on known strong signals.
          >
          > Any clues apart from taking down and rechecking the dimensions again.
          >
          > Regards
          > Peter
          > VK8HPB

        • Anthony MW0JZE

            On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 08:20 +0000, peterblackadder wrote:
            > G'day Hex-Nuts
            >
            > I have a KI4USA 5 band hex and before it rained woked fine.
            > Now as we are into our "wet" season and after a couple of showwers of rain
            > it appears to be deaf in comparison to my OCF dipole, yet when I put it up
            > there was a noteable difference in signals between the two.
            > Now there is a big difference the hex appears deaf on known strong
            > signals.
            >
            > Any clues apart from taking down and rechecking the dimensions again.

            My guess is that the end spacers are saturated and conducting. What did
            you use for the end spacers?

            Black Dacron cord is recommended.

            If you find that this is continually an issue, you may have to re
            engineer the end spacers and put something like a small ceramic egg in
            the middle of them.

            Steve might have some ideas for combating this problem.

          • Lou Campbell
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
              got your qsl s today thanks
               Liked the hex on the qsl...where did you have it done at??

              ED NX7TT
              Idaho Falls, Id

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 08:20 +0000, peterblackadder wrote:
              > G'day Hex-Nuts
              >
              > I have a KI4USA 5 band hex and before it rained woked fine.
              > Now as we are into our "wet" season and after a couple of showwers of rain
              > it appears to be deaf in comparison to my OCF dipole, yet when I put it up
              > there was a noteable difference in signals between the two.
              > Now there is a big difference the hex appears deaf on known strong
              > signals.
              >
              > Any clues apart from taking down and rechecking the dimensions again.

              My guess is that the end spacers are saturated and conducting. What did
              you use for the end spacers?

              Black Dacron cord is recommended.

              If you find that this is continually an issue, you may have to re
              engineer the end spacers and put something like a small ceramic egg in
              the middle of them.

              Steve might have some ideas for combating this problem.

              See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now:
              http://au.movies yahoo.com/ session-times/

            • Peter Blackadder
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                G'day Ant

                Thanks for the reply.

                looks like the centre post is the problem.
                Will have to take it down and seal up the connections and see if that makes the difference.

                Many Thanks

                Regards
                Peter
                VK8HPB

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2009
                  G'day Scott
                  The balun I'm using is just a ferrite with the coax wrapped around it.
                  But thanks for the tip.

                  Regards
                  Peter
                  VK8HPB

                  ________________________________

                  peterblackadder@...> wrote:

                  > G'day Hex-Nuts
                  >
                  > I have a KI4USA 5 band hex and before it rained woked fine.
                  > Now as we are into our "wet" season and after a couple of showwers of rain
                  > it appears to be deaf in comparison to my OCF dipole, yet when I put it up
                  > there was a noteable difference in signals between the two.
                  > Now there is a big difference the hex appears deaf on known strong signals.
                  >
                  > Any clues apart from taking down and rechecking the dimensions again.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Peter
                  > VK8HPB

                • Anthony MW0JZE

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Hi Peter and ALL!

                      There is really very little that can go wrong with ANY type of HEX beam. The Achilles heal of all of them is the dreaded H2O getting into the coax, weather this is the main feed (as with all antennas) or the short feed point lengths.

                      As long as you pay particular attention to this area then all should be fine :-)