New Member

  • Steve Klenc
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
      I have been reading the Hex-Beam web site and considering purchasing the multi-band versions. This seems like a good place to read what other owners and experimenters have to say about the antenna.

      73's
      Steve
      kc0acq

    • wc0l
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
        Hi everybody. This is Mike, WC0L in Wichita, KS. I live in a CCR
        community. I have a huge attic on my house and I have several antennas
        up there and they work better than I should expect them to.

        I have one area where I could turn an antenna with a 6.5 feet turning
        radius. I have looked at the 1510 model of the Hexbeam, and that may
        be my best choice, which I think I could fit in this space.

        I was wondering if anybody in the group has ever heard of a smaller 20
        meter version that might fit in the space I have available.

        Any help is appreciated.

        Thanks very much and 73,
        Mike, WC0L
      • Garry
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2007
          Mike.

          There is an antenna called the cobweb antenna that might just be what
          you are looking for. http://www.g3tpw.co.uk/ http://
          homepage.ntlworld.com/andymuza/G7VOT/Cobweb/Cobweb.html

          There may be more information out there. Do a Google search.

          This antenna is somewhat narrow in bandwidth, (Does not cover the
          entire 20 meter band with swr less than 2:1) but I can attest to the
          fact that it works well. I recall that when I was building one I had
          it at 12 feet above ground and made a nice contact with a ham in Spain
          or Portugal. We talked for 15 – 20 minutes and at best I was using
          50 watts output max as I had only a 10 amp power supply connected to
          the rig.

          The up side is that you would not require a rotator as it is
          unnecessary to rotate the thing. The one link takes you to a site
          with excellent info on construction or if you wish to eliminate much
          of the guesswork it can be purchased from the designer (see the other
          link).

          It is simpler to build than the Hexbeam though it does not have the
          gain of the hexbeam. Still it is a good compromise for small spaces.

          73

          Garry/Ve7ajj

          --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "wc0l" <wc0l@...> wrote:

          > Hi everybody. This is Mike, WC0L in Wichita, KS. I live in a CCR
          > community. I have a huge attic on my house and I have several
          antennas
          > up there and they work better than I should expect them to.
          >
          > I have one area where I could turn an antenna with a 6.5 feet
          turning
          > radius. I have looked at the 1510 model of the Hexbeam, and that
          may
          > be my best choice, which I think I could fit in this space.
          >
          > I was wondering if anybody in the group has ever heard of a smaller
          20
          > meter version that might fit in the space I have available.
          >
          > Any help is appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks very much and 73,
          > Mike, WC0L

        • Gerald
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 10:35 PM
            Hi All,

            I am relatively new to Amateur Radio, but not in the field of Telecommunications. I recently upgraded to the highest level of proficiency "advanced" and had my 1st QSO on 20M today with a VK4KUS who was operating his Hex Beam.

            Steve promoted his antenna well and provided some info and callsigns, after googling and reading 2 sites mainly G3TXQ and K4KIO, I am totally convinced this is an antenna that will resolve some major issues I have.

            Overall it appears the performance and construction is very easy, and the reviews provide great results.

            My QXL does not like lots of wires, and hates lots of cables, long wires and vertical support structures to supporting multi-band dipoles. So it's time to try something new.

            I am very keen to construct the antenna from high quality plastics, fibreglass and aluminium with an aim to make all fittings by machining them in my workshop.

            Not only would this make a great permanent fixed antenna, but also a great field day antenna with the aim to make parts you can assemble/disassemble in 10th of minutes.

            So for me, this winter will be to build a 5 band HB.

            I look forward to using this antenna down the track with my home brew Picastar HF transceiver and hope to have a QSO with another HB operator.

            Regards

            Gerald

            VK3GJM
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8 2:06 AM
              Gerald,

              Welcome - and good luck with the antenna construction. If you need any help you'll get lots of support from the guys here.

              Steve G3TXQ

              --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald" <vk3gjm@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I am relatively new to Amateur Radio, but not in the field of Telecommunications. I recently upgraded to the highest level of proficiency "advanced" and had my 1st QSO on 20M today with a VK4KUS who was operating his Hex Beam.
              >
              > Steve promoted his antenna well and provided some info and callsigns, after googling and reading 2 sites mainly G3TXQ and K4KIO, I am totally convinced this is an antenna that will resolve some major issues I have.
              >
              > Overall it appears the performance and construction is very easy, and the reviews provide great results.
              >
              > My QXL does not like lots of wires, and hates lots of cables, long wires and vertical support structures to supporting multi-band dipoles. So it's time to try something new.
              >
              > I am very keen to construct the antenna from high quality plastics, fibreglass and aluminium with an aim to make all fittings by machining them in my workshop.
              >
              > Not only would this make a great permanent fixed antenna, but also a great field day antenna with the aim to make parts you can assemble/disassemble in 10th of minutes.
              >
              > So for me, this winter will be to build a 5 band HB.
              >
              > I look forward to using this antenna down the track with my home brew Picastar HF transceiver and hope to have a QSO with another HB operator.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Gerald
              >
              > VK3GJM

            • cltoppingsr
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2009
                Good evening, I am new here and am looking to learn more about this type of antenna. I have basicly no experience at all but want to get on the air and start enjoying this hobby. I have only had 2 contacts since being licenced and those were with a borrowed di-pole antenna, (not counting the local repeater) so I am hoping to learn what I am doing wrong.
                Currently own a ICOM 706MK IIG and a Little TarHeel II antenna. Had them mounted in my truck but had no success. Figured it was time to try again. I will be reviewing past posts for the answers before posting them to prevent rehashing of old topics.

                73
                Chris N4EMC
              • Glen
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 22, 2009
                  Chris, let's rewind for a moment; the Tarheel antenna. I picked one up
                  at Dayton this year and once I got it home I started not to install it,
                  but to ensure it had a very good ground all the way around it. Granted I
                  have it mounted at the rear hatch of my Grand Cherokee still, if you
                  read the comments at eham.net on this antenna, the one thing that stands
                  out is the need for a good ground plane. I used some 1 inch braid to
                  supplement the grounding all around the area then I drilled holes to
                  make sure the mount I used was secured to the metal. No clamping or set
                  screws: Drill mounting holes. Mobile antennas are a compromise already
                  and need every advantage to improve their performance they can get. (I
                  had a magmounted 2m/440 antenna that was so-so. When I built a special
                  bracket that was drilled into the body, and this is no exaggeration, my
                  signal improved 100%.) Since I mounted it, I have had no trouble working
                  almost anyone I can hear all up and down the HF bands. I use a TS-480
                  (w/o the tuner) with the radio separated, main part in the rear with
                  only 3 or 4 feet of coax to the antenna to reduce any loss. I use a
                  controller so I always have a 1:1 match on the antenna (don't use a
                  tuner, they only cause more loss in the feed line). Make sure you have
                  covered all your bases and then your mobile station should scream.

                  But, back to HF and the hex. I use a 80m loop for all my base
                  operations. It's a great antenna, but there are times when I just need
                  to focus the energy in one direction. From all I've read, the hex is an
                  excellent design and can cover all the bands of interest. Low wind

                  Regards,
                  Glen - KE7FD

                  --
                  Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute,
                  but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 22, 2009
                    Chris:

                    Welcome aboard. Hope you find what you are looking for here.

                    You picked the right time to get licensed; it is all uphill from here as the propagation is at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. You should expect quite good results with that equipment but will discover as we all have that a good antenna makes the most difference. A good dipole at a decent height should give you a lot of satisfaction. A hexbeam will be even better.

                    73,

                    Leo

                    --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "cltoppingsr" <cltoppingsr@...> wrote:

                    > Good evening, I am new here and am looking to learn more about this type of antenna. I have basicly no experience at all but want to get on the air and start enjoying this hobby. I have only had 2 contacts since being licenced and those were with a borrowed di-pole antenna, (not counting the local repeater) so I am hoping to learn what I am doing wrong.
                    > Currently own a ICOM 706MK IIG and a Little TarHeel II antenna. Had them mounted in my truck but had no success. Figured it was time to try again. I will be reviewing past posts for the answers before posting them to prevent rehashing of old topics.
                    >
                    > 73
                    > Chris N4EMC

                  • no_job_bob
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2009
                      Chris:

                      I've owned 4 types of antennas: Hustler 4BTV Vertical, various dipoles, a 2 element Quad, and a K4KIO Hex Beam.

                      Of the four, the hex beam is far and away the best. Here's why:

                      1. Dipoles: ok for many local contacts, but DX signals are most often weak. I've found that -- especially at this point in the sunspot cycle -- a few extra s-units on receive makes a LOT of difference because if YOU can't hear THEM you have ZERO chance of working them.

                      2. Vertical: it takes skill to make it perform. When you first put it up if you cut any corners you will be very unhappy with it. In addition, it is the noise-est antenna I've ever owned...it gets hammered from all sides with static interference by other stations.

                      3. Quad: this was a good antenna, but huge, and never really delivered what I had hoped. It was home-brew; so it might have been me...because I've heard some incredible signals from other people with them...mine just never made me happy.

                      4. Hex Beam: I bought Leo's and it assembled in 1 hour including the time to accept it from UPS and the time I spent checking SWR with my analyzer.

                      With 5 or 6 exceptions I've been active every day and/or night with it. Here are my results:

                      a) Most people are impressed with my signal. It's very common to hear, "Big Signal. Strong 5 & 9. 20db over"

                      b) Sometimes people just can't hear me. I think this is more because I've hidden it behind my home at about 25 feet. I think if I got it up 60 - 70 feet that I would be unstoppable at 100 watts. At full power I can only imagine!

                      c) In 90% of cases, switching between the vertical and the hex beam means 1-3 S-units on transmit and receive.

                      d) The antenna is quiet (half the static and noise of the vertical).

                      e) There is another 1-3 s-units of front-to-back...meaning...often turning the beam 180 degrees away from someone means I can no longer hear them and/or they can no longer hear me.

                      Overall I'm extremely happy with the hex beam and it does everything I had hoped while being small enough to hide behind my house. In addition the easy assembly and perfect performance from a paint-by-numbers installation means I would do it all over again in a second.

                      Hope this helps,
                      73, de N3FY, Bob

                      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "k4kio" <k4kio@...> wrote:

                      > Chris:
                      >
                      > Welcome aboard. Hope you find what you are looking for here.
                      >
                      > You picked the right time to get licensed; it is all uphill from here as the propagation is at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. You should expect quite good results with that equipment but will discover as we all have that a good antenna makes the most difference. A good dipole at a decent height should give you a lot of satisfaction. A hexbeam will be even better.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      >
                      > Leo
                      >
                      > --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "cltoppingsr" <cltoppingsr@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Good evening, I am new here and am looking to learn more about this type of antenna. I have basicly no experience at all but want to get on the air and start enjoying this hobby. I have only had 2 contacts since being licenced and those were with a borrowed di-pole antenna, (not counting the local repeater) so I am hoping to learn what I am doing wrong.
                      > > Currently own a ICOM 706MK IIG and a Little TarHeel II antenna. Had them mounted in my truck but had no success. Figured it was time to try again. I will be reviewing past posts for the answers before posting them to prevent rehashing of old topics.
                      > >
                      > > 73
                      > > Chris N4EMC

                    • George Gafford Sr
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 6, 2009
                        Howdy Folks, New to the group and thought it was time to say hello.
                        My Name is George and call is KI4NBE. I live in the West Central parts of Florida 40 miles east of Tampa Bay.
                        I join the Group to learn more about the Hex Beam.
                        Although I don't own or used a Hex Beam I do like the reviews I have been rading about over the last few months.
                        My plans are once I get the hex is to install it on my rohn 25g tower at 52' to feed point.
                        So there you have it a new Hex Beam user to come alive on the air soon.
                        In the mean times plz keep the reviews and news coming about the antenna, I love reading them.
                         73 de George/KI4NBE

                      • Lou Campbell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 10, 2009
                          George,
                            I am from Kissimmee originally now out here in Idaho..
                          Hope to see you on the bands... gud luck with the hex..
                          73

                          ED NX7TT
                          Idaho Falls, Id