10m Hex under roof

  • lz2be
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi guys,

      I'm going to built a 5 band Hex-beam. Most of the materials are
      ready, just the hub and the mast are still under construction. I
      spent lot of time to make computer models and to experiment with
      these models on 10m band. The most funny thing is that my antenna is
      under the roof, beaming to North, at 2.5m above the floor and wires
      are fixed with nails to the wooden beams of the roof! SWR measured by
      my FT890AT is less that 3:1 in 28.0-28.7MHz section and is getting
      higher at the end of the band. It is easy tuned by internal ATU to
      1:1. Comparison of Hex to my Inv Vee show at least 3 S-units gain on
      RX/TX with West EU and Asia, some of stns could not hear me on Inv
      Vee. Stations from Africa (South direction) are without difference on
      both antennas.
      My conclusion is to finnish ASAP that antenna!

      Best 73 de Bob, LZ2BE
    • w4wb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
        --- In hex-beam@y..., "lz2be" <lz2be@y...> wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I'm going to built a 5 band Hex-beam. Most of the materials are
        > ready, just the hub and the mast are still under construction. I
        > spent lot of time to make computer models and to experiment with
        > these models on 10m band. The most funny thing is that my antenna
        is
        > under the roof, beaming to North, at 2.5m above the floor and wires
        > are fixed with nails to the wooden beams of the roof! SWR measured
        by
        > my FT890AT is less that 3:1 in 28.0-28.7MHz section and is getting
        > higher at the end of the band. It is easy tuned by internal ATU to
        > 1:1. Comparison of Hex to my Inv Vee show at least 3 S-units gain
        on
        > RX/TX with West EU and Asia, some of stns could not hear me on Inv
        > Vee. Stations from Africa (South direction) are without difference
        on
        > both antennas.
        > My conclusion is to finnish ASAP that antenna!
        >
        > Best 73 de Bob, LZ2BE

        Great project Bob. Pse keep us posted. Are you putting your HB
        outside or under the roof in some manner?

        73 de Barry - W4WB
      • lz2be
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
          --- In hex-beam@y..., "w4wb" <w4wb@a...> wrote:

          > Great project Bob. Pse keep us posted. Are you putting your HB
          > outside or under the roof in some manner?
          >
          > 73 de Barry - W4WB

          Hi Barry,

          tks for the reply.
          This under roof antenna is just an experiment to test my different
          computer models and it was the last and best one. The real 5 band
          antenna will be about 5m above the roof (17m above GND level).
          We have LZ-HAM-meeting during the weekend, where I'm going to buy an
          8m mast.

          73 es GL de Bob, LZ2BE