Re: [hex-beam] Center post

  • LEE BAHR
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2009
      I am using a shedule 40 10 foot piece of PVC (water pipe) here on top of my tower to hold up two half wave dipoles. I live in Houston, texas where it gets very hot (104 F). The pipe does bend and sag as suspected from the heat. In your situation the pipe is shorter and the weather is cooler. You should ghave better luck then mine. (I have had the pipe up for two years now).

      Lee, w0vt

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1 7:23 AM
        Ron,

        FYI...
        1" Schedule 40 dimensions: OD=1.315", WALL=0.143", ID=1.029"
        1" Schedule 80 dimensions: OD=1.315", WALL=0.190", ID=0.935"

        That is approximately a 25% increase in wall thickness, not the 100% increase you stated below.

        The schedule 40 PVC is incredibly strong under stress. This includes bending, tension and compression. Granted, the schedule 80 is stronger, however, it is also more expensive, and heavier, as are the fittings, and in my opinion, totally unnecessary.

        There were some recent photos uploaded by F1LPT showing the failure of his aluminum base plate and spreaders. It seems the only part of his hexbeam to have survived the storm was the center post. It would be interesting to learn what the dimensions of his baseplate, spreader and center post materials were.

        73!

        Bill, KO6HL

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Ron Mott <w4rdm@...> wrote:

        > Ant,
        > Here in the states I use schedule 80 PVC electrical conduit that is
        > gray in color on the 10 - 20 meter version. I use fiberglass tubing on
        > the 30/40 meter hex wire beam.
        >
        > The schedule 80 PVC electrical conduit is about two times thicker than
        > the schedule 40 pvc water pipe.
        >
        > You may want to try looking at a electrical outlet supply for the
        > electrical pvc conduit.
        >
        > Good Luck...
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Ron W4RDM
        >
        > Anthony MW0JZE wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi Hexbeam lovers!
        > >
        > > I have managed to get my Hex in the air this weekend and wow well
        > > impressed, so firstly many thanks to all forum members for help and
        > > advice, and also many thanks to Steve G3TXQ and Leo K4KIO for their
        > > hard work in answering many forms of questions and the many hours of
        > > developing this broadband version of what is becoming a very popular
        > > antenna. I worked at least 5 USA stations that were also using the Hex
        > > in the small hours of Sunday morning on 20m on my first test. PS first
        > > station worked was N4NM in GA who passed me to his buddy NU6L who was
        > > 9+ 10 over hi hi, was impressed with that :-)
        > >
        > > My Question for the forum is this!
        > >
        > > I have made my center post out of PVC water pipe and cut it and
        > > sleeved it at every feed point so I can place the coax inside the post
        > > away from the weather! I am not convinced that this pipe will hold up
        > > in a gust as I have used high quality spreaders and they are quite
        > > strong which is creating quite a bit of force on the post, this is
        > > fine under normal conditions as the force is equal in all directions.
        > > If it gets real windy and the spreaders are blown about a unequal
        > > force will be placed on the post which could cause problems. I see
        > > that a few non UK builders have used the same method as I have but
        > > their pipe seems to have a thicker wall than mine. Mine is the 40mm
        > > waster water pipe that is readily available in many plumbing outlets
        > > in the UK but I have asked about the thinker wall pipe and they all
        > > look at me blank and say thats the only pipe they do! This must be
        > > available here in the UK, can anyone help??
        > >
        > > Many thanks in advance!
        > >
        > > 73's Ant MWØJZE
        > > Elecraft K3 #485
        > > MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
        > > www.mc0shl.com
        > > www.mw0jze.co.uk
        > > www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
        > > Seach my log on line
        > > http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
        > > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>
        > > Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

      • Anthony MW0JZE
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1 7:28 AM
          HI all,

          Many thanks for all the replies.

          After much surfing about on-line I have found some fibreglass for Steve's suggestion, this could turn out to be the best option, a 2" diameter 2m length that would/could also be used as a straight though stub mast/centre post effort. I have tried looking but sched 40 and 80 but it seems to be an American standard only :-( Has anybody played about with expanding foam? I wonder what the electrical properties of that would be, would it effect anything? This would definitely give it some strength and be 100% waterproof!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 1 8:30 AM
            Bill,
            I was going on appearance only on the size. The UV resistance
            of the electrical schedule 80 PVC conduit is a plus.

            The F1LPT baseplate "appears" to be not as thick as the baseplate
            material that I use.

            73,

            Ron W4RDM

            ko6hl@... wrote:

> [...]
            > > > waster water pipe that is readily available in many plumbing outlets
            > > > in the UK but I have asked about the thinker wall pipe and they all
            > > > look at me blank and say thats the only pipe they do! This must be
            > > > available here in the UK, can anyone help??
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks in advance!
            > > >
            > > > 73's Ant MWØJZE
            > > > Elecraft K3 #485
            > > > MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
            > > > www.mc0shl.com
            > > > www.mw0jze.co.uk
            > > > www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
            > > > Seach my log on line
            > > > http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
            > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>
            > > > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
            > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>>
            > > > Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

          • Ron Mott
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 1 8:33 AM

              ko6hl@... wrote:

> [...]
              > > > waster water pipe that is readily available in many plumbing outlets
              > > > in the UK but I have asked about the thinker wall pipe and they all
              > > > look at me blank and say thats the only pipe they do! This must be
              > > > available here in the UK, can anyone help??
              > > >
              > > > Many thanks in advance!
              > > >
              > > > 73's Ant MWØJZE
              > > > Elecraft K3 #485
              > > > MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
              > > > www.mc0shl.com
              > > > www.mw0jze.co.uk
              > > > www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
              > > > Seach my log on line
              > > > http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
              > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>
              > > > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
              > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>>
              > > > Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

            • w4rdm
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 1 8:46 AM
                Bill,
                Looks like F1LPT's baseplate was stainless steel from
                the photo caption.

                73,

                Ron W4RDM

                --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "ko6hl@..." <ko6hl@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > that a few non UK builders have used the same method as I have but
                > > > their pipe seems to have a thicker wall than mine. Mine is the 40mm
                > > > waster water pipe that is readily available in many plumbing outlets
                > > > in the UK but I have asked about the thinker wall pipe and they all
                > > > look at me blank and say thats the only pipe they do! This must be
                > > > available here in the UK, can anyone help??
                > > >
                > > > Many thanks in advance!
                > > >
                > > > 73's Ant MWØJZE
                > > > Elecraft K3 #485
                > > > MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
                > > > www.mc0shl.com
                > > > www.mw0jze.co.uk
                > > > www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
                > > > Seach my log on line
                > > > http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
                > > > <http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1>
                > > > Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

              • Phil
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 1 12:28 PM
                  Ant,

                  I wouldn't use the hardening type foam as this could contaminate the coax cable. Also, enamel paints will also contaminate the center insulator of coax cable. The organic solvents contained in these products migrate into the insulating materials. Foam type center insulation is supposedly immune to this but I am skeptical as "like dissolves like" in the organic chemistry world.

                  Fiberglass is the ideal solution.

                  Regards,

                  Phil
                • Anthony MW0JZE
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10 2:56 AM
                    Hi Lee,

                    Thanks for your sharing your experience with sched 40 pipe.

                    I have with success tried Steve G3TXQ method. I have used a one piece length of 40mm fibreglass pipe (thick walled). First I drilled the holes for the wire elements then 180deg to the rear of these holes I drilled a 12mm hole. The coax was all cut to size and fitted to the outside of the pipe to get the length right. I pinched the terminal eyes so that the button head set screws would stay in the terminal ends while I fed the coax up the inside of the pipe. The 12mm holes that were drilled to the rear were used to view and guide the button head set screws into their holes and an allan key was used to tighten them. This center post is built like a tank! I dont think I will ever need to change this!

                    Thanks for the idea Steve and thanks to all for their input on this subject.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10 12:21 PM
                      Ant,

                      Great to hear that the idea worked! Have you decided what to do with the holes at the rear - grommets, filler ?

                      Steve G3TXQ

                      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Anthony MW0JZE <laptop@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Lee,
                      >
                      > Thanks for your sharing your experience with sched 40 pipe.
                      >
                      > I have with success tried Steve G3TXQ method. I have used a one piece length of 40mm fibreglass pipe (thick walled). First I drilled the holes for the wire elements then 180deg to the rear of these holes I drilled a 12mm hole. The coax was all cut to size and fitted to the outside of the pipe to get the length right. I pinched the terminal eyes so that the button head set screws would stay in the terminal ends while I fed the coax up the inside of the pipe. The 12mm holes that were drilled to the rear were used to view and guide the button head set screws into their holes and an allan key was used to tighten them. This center post is built like a tank! I dont think I will ever need to change this!
                      >
                      > Thanks for the idea Steve and thanks to all for their input on this subject.

                    • Anthony MW0JZE

                        Great to hear that the idea worked! Have you decided what to do with the holes at the rear - grommets, filler ?

                        Steve G3TXQ

                        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com , Anthony MW0JZE <laptop@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Lee,
                        >
                        > Thanks for your sharing your experience with sched 40 pipe.
                        >
                        > I have with success tried Steve G3TXQ method. I have used a one piece length of 40mm fibreglass pipe (thick walled). First I drilled the holes for the wire elements then 180deg to the rear of these holes I drilled a 12mm hole. The coax was all cut to size and fitted to the outside of the pipe to get the length right. I pinched the terminal eyes so that the button head set screws would stay in the terminal ends while I fed the coax up the inside of the pipe. The 12mm holes that were drilled to the rear were used to view and guide the button head set screws into their holes and an allan key was used to tighten them. This center post is built like a tank! I dont think I will ever need to change this!
                        >
                        > Thanks for the idea Steve and thanks to all for their input on this subject.

                      • Bill VanOrden
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 11 10:15 AM
                          I didn't botherr to look and see where you live, but down here (Phoenix) the Hot Melt glue would be a bad idea as it will soften and or melt in our weather. Which is predicted to hit 114F today, though "it's a dry heat" ROFLMAO

                          Bill
                          K7BVO
                        • Anthony MW0JZE
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 15 7:36 AM
                            Hi Bill,

                            I am from Wales in the UK so heat is not an issue hi hi.

                            114f is about 44c and I can honestly say that if it was that hot here the last thing I would be worrying about would be my glue melting LOL

                            You can use any type of silicone based sealer to seat the grommets in for maximum waterproofing, hot glue was to hand at the time.

                            73's Ant MWØJZE
                            Elecraft K3 #485
                            MC0SHL DX & Contest Group
                            www.mc0shl.com
                            www.mw0jze.co.uk
                            www.pmtdxgoup.co.uk
                            Seach my log on line
                            http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
                            Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

                            I didn't botherr to look and see where you live, but down here (Phoenix) the Hot Melt glue would be a bad idea as it will soften and or melt in our weather. Which is predicted to hit 114F today, though "it's a dry heat" ROFLMAO

                            Bill
                            K7BVO

                          • raydeeoh08
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 15 1:45 PM
                              Sure heat is an issue in Wales. The lack of it. :)