Re: G'day from VK4OC

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      -
      Hi Steve
      Thank you for the welcome to the group.I have lost
      all of my radio gear and antennas. I have been washed
      away with a flood in November 2008.
      I am trying to rebuid my house,
      we are living in a caravan
      and having a bit of spare time at night I have
      become a real fan of the hex-beam group.

      I enjoy seeing all the details and all these photographs
      of hex-beams and feel envious of the hexs members.
      I really enjoy homebrewing with our hobby.

      73.
      Dennis vk4oc

      -- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <vk4oc@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      >
      > I've just join this group and
      > I have been reserching LEO K4KIO plans for the hex-beam.
      > I want to thank Leo for his website and pictures,
      > and the great detail that he shows.
      >
      > I will be building my Hex-beam antenna
      > in the next few months
      > and I will be asking questions?
      > I'm finding old correspondence about the hex-beam
      > with 2 wings{that's the only way I can put it}.
      >
      > Hoping to hear from some of you blokes,
      > who are building hex-beams.
      >
      > Dennis VK4OC
      > Queensland Australia

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        Dennis,

        Really sorry to hear of your misfortune. I was in ZL on holiday in February and we enjoyed(?) the heat which had been causing the fires in VK-land. I'm sure glad we don't get the extreme WX variations in UK that you folk do.

        Good luck with the house rebuild - I guess building a Hex is a long way down the priority list !

        Steve G3TXQ

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <vk4oc@...> wrote:

        > -
        > Hi Steve
        > Thank you for the welcome to the group.I have lost
        > all of my radio gear and antennas. I have been washed
        > away with a flood in November 2008.
        > I am trying to rebuid my house,
        > we are living in a caravan
        > and having a bit of spare time at night I have
        > become a real fan of the hex-beam group.
        >
        > I enjoy seeing all the details and all these photographs
        > of hex-beams and feel envious of the hexs members.
        > I really enjoy homebrewing with our hobby.
        >
        > 73.
        > Dennis vk4oc

      • john nixon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          Hi Dennis (VK4OC),
          Where were you when the floods came through?
          Don't despair, you will be back on the air, we all suffer set-backs in our lives.
          My Australian QTH is Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast, and I have serious antenna restrictions there.
          I've had poor (read nil) results with a Steppir vertical, and hope I can get away with a Hex Quad.
          Hope to work you in the near future,
          73's,
          John VK4BJN - FK8FR - ZL1FR

          ________________________________
          Thank you for the welcome to the group.I have lost
          all of my radio gear and antennas. I have been washed
          away with a flood in November 2008.
          I am trying to rebuid my house,
          we are living in a caravan
          and having a bit of spare time at night I have
          become a real fan of the hex-beam group.

          I enjoy seeing all the details and all these photographs
          of hex-beams and feel envious of the hexs members.
          I really enjoy homebrewing with our hobby.

          73.
          Dennis vk4oc

          -- In hex-beam@yahoogroup s.com, "Dennis" <vk4oc@...> wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > I've just join this group and
          > I have been reserching LEO K4KIO plans for the hex-beam.
          > I want to thank Leo for his website and pictures,
          > and the great detail that he shows.
          >
          > I will be building my Hex-beam antenna
          > in the next few months
          > and I will be asking questions?
          > I'm finding old correspondence about the hex-beam
          > with 2 wings{that's the only way I can put it}.
          >
          > Hoping to hear from some of you blokes,
          > who are building hex-beams.
          >
          > Dennis VK4OC
          > Queensland Australia

        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            Hi Steve
            My wife and I recieved some good news on 11th June 2009
            our pre-fab house will be coming to our block,
            this is fantastic.
            Caravan life style is not my cup to tea mate!

            So my little homebrew Hex-Beam, has come ahead in leaps.

            I am now finding information about the inches to millimetres.
            In Australia we are on the metric side of making up our antennas.
            I did a "Goggle inches to millimetres" and now I can change all
            your measurments {inches} to Millimetres.

            When I start new projects, I always seem to learn new skills.

            Cheers Mate
            Dennis vk4oc

            --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve@...> wrote:

            > Dennis,
            >
            > Really sorry to hear of your misfortune. I was in ZL on holiday in February and we enjoyed(?) the heat which had been causing the fires in VK-land. I'm sure glad we don't get the extreme WX variations in UK that you folk do.
            >
            > Good luck with the house rebuild - I guess building a Hex is a long way down the priority list !
            >
            > Steve G3TXQ
            >

            > --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis" <vk4oc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > -
            > > Hi Steve
            > > Thank you for the welcome to the group.I have lost
            > > all of my radio gear and antennas. I have been washed
            > > away with a flood in November 2008.
            > > I am trying to rebuid my house,
            > > we are living in a caravan
            > > and having a bit of spare time at night I have
            > > become a real fan of the hex-beam group.
            > >
            > > I enjoy seeing all the details and all these photographs
            > > of hex-beams and feel envious of the hexs members.
            > > I really enjoy homebrewing with our hobby.
            > >
            > > 73.
            > > Dennis vk4oc

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
              Dennis,

              An old engineering mentor of mine told me I only needed to remember two numbers:

              * 25.4: to convert from inches to mm

              and

              * Pi (3.142) When you're planning a project that's what you multiply a Software Engineer's cost and time estimates by :)

              73,
              Steve G3TXQ
            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2009
                Hi John VK4BJN
                My Qth is at Tallegalla just west of Ipswich, we got
                10 inches of rain in 3 hours.

                We are rebuilding our house and the hex-beam
                will be my next project.
                I have been looking for these spreaders
                1'' ,3/4'' ,1/2'' fibglasses spreaders, John, have you
                seen any in any of the hardware stores?

                The fishing rods are out of the question 12 feet
                50 dollars each (50x6=300).

                John keep your eyes open so we can make these spreaders
                Ok mate?

                cheers
                Dennis vk4oc in Tallegalla in Queensland.