Hexbeam Group or Chit-Chat ?

  • n6tz
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2002
      I am sure that I will get flamed for this, and I am nothing but a
      visitor here, but here it is anyway.
      I find that there is probably a ten to one ratio of content on this
      group. Ten parts chit-chat of little meaning, and one part content
      even remotely relating to the Hex Beam. (reporting dx worked with
      the beam has nothing to do with the beam, I work the stuff with a
      random wire)
      So go ahead and open the flame guns. I said it, and will stand by
      it. The group will not grow with nonsense content.
      Hal, N6TZ
    • Eric Carling
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2002
        I have to agree - I joined the group last year when I was considering
        purchasing a Hex Beam but left for that very reason. I joined again last
        week when I placed my order for a HX-5bi but if anything it has got worse
        and I can't see that the content will be of any benefit to me when my Hex
        Beam arrives. I was about to leave the group again when I saw Hal's message.
        If he does get flamed this will be one more Hex Beam owner not in the group.

        Eric.

        I am sure that I will get flamed for this, and I am nothing but a
        visitor here, but here it is anyway.
        I find that there is probably a ten to one ratio of content on this
        group. Ten parts chit-chat of little meaning, and one part content
        even remotely relating to the Hex Beam. (reporting dx worked with
        the beam has nothing to do with the beam, I work the stuff with a
        random wire)
        So go ahead and open the flame guns. I said it, and will stand by
        it. The group will not grow with nonsense content.
        Hal, N6TZ

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • David Douglass
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2002
          There is only so much that can be discussed about an 'over the counter antenna', and with the exception of comparing balun types or installation etc etc, (which have both been discussed at length), there isn't really a lot to talk about, except the homebrewers amongst us. That is of course, unless some of you guys are willing to start modifying and experimenting with your expensive systems (which I doubt few are willing to do).

          Regards all

          David, VK2DPD

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2002
            i agree David
            after all, there is more to life then technical small-talk
            One of the reasons i became a ham was to make my "human horizon"
            larger. Hope one day i can talk to you guys using my hex...
            by the way, started with building my hex, but the spreaders won't do.
            They are to "soft". I looked at some wooden sticks , but i'm afraid
            they will brake. I consider bamboo, but that is maybe to stiff.
            anywone with suggestions???

            Bye for now
            Peter

            --- In hex-beam@y..., "David Douglass" <vk2dpd@b...> wrote:
            > There is only so much that can be discussed about an 'over the
            counter antenna', and with the exception of comparing balun types or
            installation etc etc, (which have both been discussed at length),
            there isn't really a lot to talk about, except the homebrewers
            amongst us. That is of course, unless some of you guys are willing to
            start modifying and experimenting with your expensive systems (which
            I doubt few are willing to do).

            > Regards all
            >
            > David, VK2DPD

            Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Makoto Tanaka
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2002
              I agree with David and Peter too. As long as we feel relaxed
              talking with each othe in this groupr, I welcome any kind of
              issues evennon Hex stories. I have been very encouraged to
              see lots of friends using the same toy over the Pacific or over
              the north pole....Am I too human?

              73, JR1NHD - Shin
              after all, there is more to life then technical small-talk
              One of the reasons i became a ham was to make my "human horizon"
              larger. Hope one day i can talk to you guys using my hex...
              by the way, started with building my hex, but the spreaders won't do.
              They are to "soft". I looked at some wooden sticks , but i'm afraid
              they will brake. I consider bamboo, but that is maybe to stiff.
              anywone with suggestions???

              Bye for now
              Peter

              --- In hex-beam@y..., "David Douglass" <vk2dpd@b...> wrote:
              > There is only so much that can be discussed about an 'over the
              counter antenna', and with the exception of comparing balun types or
              installation etc etc, (which have both been discussed at length),
              there isn't really a lot to talk about, except the homebrewers
              amongst us. That is of course, unless some of you guys are willing to
              start modifying and experimenting with your expensive systems (which
              I doubt few are willing to do).

              > Regards all
              >
              > David, VK2DPD

            • w4wb
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2002
                Hi Hal and Eric,

                First, let me point out that I'm the owner of this reflector and,
                frankly, it has the "flavor" that I had hoped it would take on.

                David and others have correctly pointed out that there is only so
                much you can say about the commerical Hex-Beam; however, all has not
                been said yet. The primary purpose of this reflector was, and
                continues to be, a place where folks who are Hex-Beam owners or are
                interested in this antenna form can meet, discuss, help each other,
                and make new friends. With just a few hundred Hex-Beams in the
                world, how each would you easily find another Hex-Beam user to
                discuss HB matters with?

                I am the moderator of several other lists with one having over 3000
                members discussing just the FT-817. The flavor of it is rather
                different. If you look at the photographs, read the extensive and
                useful material in the files, and read past postings in the archive,
                I believe you will find significant technical information. I am sure
                several folks would have been unhappy with their antenna had it not
                been for the contacts made on this reflector that resulted in solving
                their particular problem(s). This is in the ham spirit isn't it?
                Making friends, helping others, and enjoying the hobby are certainly
                important to me.

                If you have technical questions or contributions, please ask/post
                them. Just remember, this reflector simple serves as a gathering
                place for those interested in the Hex-Beam. An interestingly large
                number of people have or are attempting to build their own Hex-Beams.
                They and owners of the commercial version of the HB have shared
                information and learned from each other.

                I hope you will stay and participate, but if this "relaxed" group is
                not what you are looking for, I sincerely hope you find it elsewhere.

                Eric, hope you have great pleasure with the HX-5Bi you have coming!

                73 de Barry - W4WB

                --- In hex-beam@y..., "n6tz" <halw@s...> wrote:

                > I am sure that I will get flamed for this, and I am nothing but a
                > visitor here, but here it is anyway.
                > I find that there is probably a ten to one ratio of content on this
                > group. Ten parts chit-chat of little meaning, and one part content
                > even remotely relating to the Hex Beam. (reporting dx worked with
                > the beam has nothing to do with the beam, I work the stuff with a
                > random wire)
                > So go ahead and open the flame guns. I said it, and will stand by
                > it. The group will not grow with nonsense content.
                > Hal, N6TZ
              • Peter D. Vouvounas
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2002
                  My fellow HEX friends,

                  After a few months following my 5B HEX initial erection I noticed that the
                  fiberglass spreaders have a crack at the 90 degree point when viewing from
                  the base plate.

                  The termination of the spreaders with U-bolts compressing metal angular
                  sections have deformed the ends such that the fiberglass surface has started
                  to take on a 90 degree angle.

                  I don't believe that any serious integrity issue will surface but surly want
                  to keep an eye on the situation. A little tough to view this area now that
                  the antenna has been crained into it's final position. (HEX has been
                  elevated approx. 11 months.

                  Please share any observations you may have.

                  73

                  PeterV [REN] WB3FSR

                  p.s. Looking forward to meeting all of you in Dayton!!!
                • Eric Carling
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2002
                    Hi Barry,
                    Valid points all and mni tnx for gd wishes re my impending HX-5Bi. Of course
                    I will stay and I know that help will be forthcoming from all on here should
                    I need it.
                    73 de Eric.