Re: [hex-beam] buffeting 20 mph wind

  • yash@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
      Ron
      ?have a single flange and plastic base plate. going to go to metal and dual flanges ,will see what happens.
      thanks
      dale wt4t

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
        > Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

        Ron W4RDM

        > Ron
        > ?have a single flange and plastic base plate. going to go to metal and
        > dual flanges ,will see what happens.
        > thanks
        > dale wt4t
        >
        > -
        >
        > Dale,
        > Do you have two mast flanges? One above and below the baseplate?
        > What material is the baseplate? Aluminum or Plastic?
        >
        > tnx es 73's
        >
        > Ron W4RDM
        >

        > > Jason
        > > ?be very careful. Iam using a 1 5/8 od by 1/4 "thick wall ?mast which
        > > is 8 foot above the thrust bearing at the top of the tower. mounted on
        > > top is my 6 band hex. Today we had a buffeting 20 mph wind ,dam near
        > > tore the hex apart because the whole body of the hex was moving
        > > around,the center post was moving back and forth. I dropped the tower
        > > from 51 back to its nested 22'. That helped, but major engineering
        > > will have to be done if the hex is going to stay. I had a tennadyne
        > > t-6 log up on the tower before the hex,never had a problem like this.
        > > plan is to cut the mast to a foot or so above the thrust bearing and
        > > re mount the hex as close as possible ,to the bearing. Who ever did
        > > the wind calculations on the hex ,I don't think they are anywhere
        > > correct. The hex was moving so much the tower was shacking a bit.?
        > > ?????I would sure like to hear from anybody as to there connection of
        > > the hex to the mast. my hex center post?is 1 5/8" and mast the same. I
        > > have a 2 ' aluminum 1 5/8 ID? sleeve with 2 bolts on the hex center
        > > mast and sleeve?and 2 bolts on the sleeve and mast. wall Of the sleeve
        > > is 1/4".
        > > would welcome any ideas.
        > > thanks
        > > dale wt4t

      • Barry Comer
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 4, 2013
          Has anyone had the centre post of their K4KIO come a little loose? I noticed as the wind blew the post would move a bit. The screws we tightened when i put it up but as stated i can see it move some. The screws were coated with locktight.

          Sent from my iPhone