Chopping Board

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      The information relating to the weight factor between a chopping board
      and an aluminium base, is very interesting and indeed somewhat
      surprising, however I think the board has the edge for easy cutting and
      drilling so I shall stick with it and see how things turn out.

      73s to all
    • Colin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Dave
        The chopping board has the added benefit of being non metallic.
        This one is made of "LDPE" so it might not fair too well against
        prolonged uv exposure.
        I`m in the process of install a new telescopic mast. I took 5 gallons
        of water out of the posthole today..looks like i`ll have to install a
        bilge pump or something hi

        73
        colin
        m0xbm

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <henrycrunn@...> wrote:

        > The information relating to the weight factor between a chopping board
        > and an aluminium base, is very interesting and indeed somewhat
        > surprising, however I think the board has the edge for easy cutting and
        > drilling so I shall stick with it and see how things turn out.
        >
        > 73s to all

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          One thing to watch out for when cutting the chopping boards is that,
          depending on the material, just a small amount of heat can melt them
          and force a saw cut to close up and seal behind the blade.

          I cut my first chopping board into a circle using a power jigsaw - I
          was convinced I'd gone full circle, but the waste didn't drop off. I
          thought senility was getting the better of me when I went 2 full
          circles and still nothing had happened. Only then did I realise what
          was going on :)

          73,
          Steve G3TXQ
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            For anyone interested in "weight budgets", this was the breakdown of
            my Broadband Hex which uses 2 x 4-section Crappie poles for the
            spreaders, 1.5" diameter fibreglass centre-post with aluminium
            reinforcement below the baseplate, and 0.25" aluminium baseplate:

            Spreaders (6): 2,436g (5.34lbs)
            Aluminium baseplate (1): 638g (1.4lbs)
            Spreader support tubes and bolts (6): 1032g (2.28lbs)
            Baseplate/CP brackets and bolts (2): 244g (0.54lbs)
            Fibreglass Centre Post (1): 636g (1.4lbs)
            75.3m #16 wire: 1,000g (2.2lbs)

            Total: 6Kg (13.2lbs)

            73,
            Steve G3TXQ
          • Colin
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2008
              Hi Steve
              Good advice.
              I`m planning on using the jigsaw to roughly rip a pent and a hex from
              the sheet but leaving a margin.
              I`d use the bandsaw but its not too useful without a blade hi, so i`ll
              use a nobex precision saw instead :)

              73
              colin
              m0xbm

              --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve@...> wrote:

              > One thing to watch out for when cutting the chopping boards is that,
              > depending on the material, just a small amount of heat can melt them
              > and force a saw cut to close up and seal behind the blade.
              >
              > I cut my first chopping board into a circle using a power jigsaw - I
              > was convinced I'd gone full circle, but the waste didn't drop off. I
              > thought senility was getting the better of me when I went 2 full
              > circles and still nothing had happened. Only then did I realise what
              > was going on :)
              >
              > 73,
              > Steve G3TXQ

            • Colin
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2008
                I managed to cut a hex and the pentagon base plate today. They seem to
                be plenty rigid enough.
                Its quite an easy job if you fix a cardboard template to the chopping
                board with small screws.
                I used a medium/coarse wood cutting blade in the jigsaw for the
                initial rough cut and then cut off the edges cleanly with the mitre
                saw using a little elbow grease.
                Next task is to drill all the holes and cut up a load of 30mm
                aluminium tube for spreader holders.

                Here`s the trendy blue baseplates thus far
                www.nurl.us/7x2

                73
                colin
                m0xbm