Broadband Hex - F/B audio demonstration

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
      Folks,

      I just uploaded 3 audio clips to the G3TXQ folder in the Files area of
      the group. They demonstrate the F/B performance of my broadband design.

      Each clip is 3-5 seconds pointing at a station, interlaced with 3-5
      seconds pointing away. Hopefully it'll be obvious which is which :)
      The "instant reversal" is possible because I had two beams up at the
      same time, pointing in opposite directions.

      I'll be adding the same files to my website, but am still having
      problems with the connection between the web server and the Internet.

      Happy New Year, everyone, and good Hex building in 2008,

      Steve G3TXQ
    • Steph, F5NZY
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
        This is impressive, Steve.

        And your reception is very clear, no noise at all.

        73 and HNY2008

        Steph, F5NZY

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
          Audio clips now also available on my website which seems to be back up
          and running. Look at the bottom of the Broadband page:

          http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/

          73,
          Steve G3TXQ
        • Jed Petrovich
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
            Steve:

            This is a great demonstration... I appreciate you sharing this with the
            group. I've sent this to a couple of other ham buddies and I'll be
            interested to hear their responses. I know one is considering a hexbeam of
            his own.

            Jed
            AD7KG

            On Jan 2, 2008 4:47 AM, Steve <steve@...> wrote:

            > Audio clips now also available on my website which seems to be back up
            > and running. Look at the bottom of the Broadband page:
            >
            > http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/
            >
            > 73,
            > Steve G3TXQ

          • gpz990
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
              My goodness, that is very impressive on the F/B clips Steve.

              I have been subscribed to this group with now for several months and I
              have been watching the development of the broadband Hex you have
              laboriously designed Steve. If the noise levels and F/B is anything to
              go by, then it seems to be working brilliantly. I would like to build
              one in the spring and am particularly inspired by your efforts.

              Happy new year to all on this fine group.

              73's.

              Gordon
              MM0GPZ
            • Danny Douglas
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                Amazing. I didnt even hear the signal on that first one, off its back side. Sounded just like you simply removed the antenna. Makes me itchy to get mine built here, but its gotta get above 35 degrees before I even think about getting outside.
                \
                Danny Douglas
                N7DC
                ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
                SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB
                All 2 years or more (except Novice)
                Pls QSL direct, buro, or LOTW preferred,
                I Do not use, but as a courtesy do upload to eQSL for
                those who do.
                This is a great demonstration... I appreciate you sharing this with the
                group. I've sent this to a couple of other ham buddies and I'll be
                interested to hear their responses. I know one is considering a hexbeam of
                his own.

                Jed
                AD7KG

                On Jan 2, 2008 4:47 AM, Steve <steve@...> wrote:

                > Audio clips now also available on my website which seems to be back up
                > and running. Look at the bottom of the Broadband page:
                >
                > http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/
                >
                > 73,
                > Steve G3TXQ

              • Steve
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Folks,

                  Just added a further 4 audio clips to my web site if anyone is interested.

                  The recordings were made with the receiver AGC off and the RF gain
                  well back, so as to preserve the dynamic range of the audio. Looking
                  at the original .wav files with an audio analyser programme, the F/B
                  looks to be well in excess of 30dB - much better than I measured on my
                  test range !!

                  73,
                  Steve G3TXQ
                • G4LMW
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Steve - sthey sound great !

                    Now what I need is a comparison with a dipole so that I can persuade the station manager that she needs a new (bigger) rotary washing line at 30ft!

                    ;-))

                    Rob, G4LMW

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                      Rob,

                      The Hex only has about half an S point advantage over the dipole ....
                      ...... but it's much more convenient for the station manager to hang
                      washing on a 20ft diameter rotatable than on a 34ft straight line -
                      especially 30ft up in the air ;)

                      73,
                      Steve G3TXQ
                    • Jim Chaggaris
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Hey Steve, don’t kid yourself, that ½ S unit gain over a dipole is a big
                        difference…

                        73,

                        Jim N9WW

                        James Chaggaris
                        President
                        PowerOne Corp.
                        1020 Cedar Avenue
                        Suite 110
                        St. Charles, IL 60174
                        Phn: 630-443-6500
                        Fax: 630-443-6505
                        Cell: 630-669-2241
                        www.pwrone.com

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                          Rob,

                          I've added another audio clip to my website. This one compares the
                          Broadband Hexbeam at 20ft to my 132ft Inverted V doublet with its
                          centre at 20ft. The recording was made at about 1300z today on 20m.

                          It's the last clip on:
                          http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/

                          Maybe that will persuade the "Station manager" ;)

                          73,
                          Steve G3TXQ
                        • G4LMW
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                            Thanks Steve

                            Sounds like more than 6dB to me! It lifts it well out of the noise and the QSB seems to disappear. So am again encouraged and enthused !

                            My antenna is very similar to the one in your test - I have an OCF dipole cut for 80m in a shallow inverted V configuration over the roof of the house. Of course, the "lobes" on 20m for a 132ft dipole are complex but that brings up another advantage of the rotary washing line..... it is ROTARY......... I cannot turn my dipole!

                            What is the gain over the "ends" of a dp? (unfortunately my plot runs E-W so any dipole is generally N-S so not ideal).

                            As an aside, I thought the subject matter of the QSO was interesting..... think I'll reverse my coax connections as soon as the weather improves - or maybe leave it 'til the 1st April ;-)

                            73
                            Rob, G4LMW

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 8, 2008
                              Rob,

                              There are a lot of variables at play here :)

                              My 132ft Doublet runs East-West. It's 20ft high at the centre and
                              drops to 6ft at either end. EZNEC predicts that on 20m, at low
                              take-off angles, it has 4 broad azimuth lobes each at 35 degrees to
                              the wire direction. That puts one of the lobes pretty much on USA.

                              At take off angles of 5 to 10 degrees EZNEC predicts the HexBeam would
                              be about 5.5dB than the best doublet lobe. If the wanted station was
                              end on to the doublet, the Hexbeam would be about 12.5dB better.

                              73,
                              Steve G3TXQ