Re: Yet Another Homebrew Hex Web Site

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi Dave,
      Congrats on the completion of your hexbeam and your very informative
      website.
      A great way to start 2006!

      Happy New Year

      Colin 2E0XBM

      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Dave <dave@z...> wrote:

      > I'm finally reaching the end of my long hex antenna building
      project.
      > The 5 bander (20-10m) antenna working, and the web site is up at
      > http://www.zievid.com/W6OT/Hex/Beam.htm with some pictures, graphs
      and
      > description.
      >
      > So far the results are good. It's several S units better than my
      > Hustler 5BTV vertical, which is up 15' on a 30x80 metal roof. I
      haven't
      > rasied the antenna to it's full height yet, so it should get better
      with
      > another 20' elevation or so. I'm really happy with it.
      >
      > There are two interesting things about this particular antenna:
      >
      > a) I used 4' fiberglass tubing from MaxGain, so the shipping costs
      were
      > reasonable. The web site has the details on how I joined the
      tubes.

      > b) I had trouble with feedlines between bands (couldn't get it to
      play
      > on all 5 bands). I tried several different sets of wires close
      together
      > as others have described, but I ended up using RG-213 between the
      > wires. This worked great - the difference was measurable, and all
      5
      > bands are now happy. If you're having trouble getting all bands to
      > work, give this a try.
      >
      > I have a spreadsheet and CSV files on the site if anyone wants to
      model
      > it in EZNEC. The 12m pattern is a bit off - the gain models
      slightly
      > higher off the back, so I'll try playing with that and see if I can
      get
      > it to point in the right direction.
      >
      > Have a Happy New Year!
      >
      > - Dave
      > W6OT

    • n3gnw
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
        Great job and nice site.

        Did you have to have Max-Gain cut down 8 foot lengths? I don't see
        the sizes you mention available in 4 foot lengths.

        73,
        Mark N3GNW

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Dave <dave@z...> wrote:

        > I'm finally reaching the end of my long hex antenna building
        project.
        > The 5 bander (20-10m) antenna working, and the web site is up at
        > http://www.zievid.com/W6OT/Hex/Beam.htm with some pictures, graphs
        and
        > description.
        >
        > So far the results are good. It's several S units better than my
        > Hustler 5BTV vertical, which is up 15' on a 30x80 metal roof. I
        haven't
        > rasied the antenna to it's full height yet, so it should get
        better with
        > another 20' elevation or so. I'm really happy with it.
        >
        > There are two interesting things about this particular antenna:
        >
        > a) I used 4' fiberglass tubing from MaxGain, so the shipping
        costs were
        > reasonable. The web site has the details on how I joined the
        tubes.

        > b) I had trouble with feedlines between bands (couldn't get it to
        play
        > on all 5 bands). I tried several different sets of wires close
        together
        > as others have described, but I ended up using RG-213 between the
        > wires. This worked great - the difference was measurable, and all
        5
        > bands are now happy. If you're having trouble getting all bands
        > work, give this a try.
        >
        > I have a spreadsheet and CSV files on the site if anyone wants to
        model
        > it in EZNEC. The 12m pattern is a bit off - the gain models
        slightly
        > higher off the back, so I'll try playing with that and see if I
        can get
        > it to point in the right direction.
        >
        > Have a Happy New Year!
        >
        > - Dave
        > W6OT

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
          Yes, Max-Gain will cut their 8' lengths in half. I forget the exact
          cost of each cut, but it's around a dollar or so. I don't think they
          sell the 4' sections individually, so you have to buy 8' ones plus the
          cut and get 2 4' poles.

          I think it's buried in the site somewhere, but if I was going to do it
          over again, I would use 1", 3/4" and 1/2" tubing. You'd need to get 3
          8' tubes of each size, and have them all cut in half. Then for the
          joints, cut 1" sections from the 1" and 3/4" tubes to glue onto the
          next smaller tubes as stoppers. I ended up with an odd combination
          because I originally tried 1/4" rod at the tips, and that's not strong
          enough.

          Thanks to everyone for the nice compliments. I really enjoyed this
          project and hope the info can help others in their building. It's great
          to have a direction antenna now.

          - Dave
          W6OT