Re: Its together & working

  • n3gnw
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
      Well I checked them in the morning when it was a lot dryer and they
      are marked PVC, UV resistant, above and underground use.

      73,
      Mark N3GNW

      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "n3gnw" <n3gnw@a...> wrote:

      > I've been assuming that UV stabilized plastic electrical conduit
      is
      > form of PVC, but is it? I'll try to check my spreaders in the
      dark
      > and pouring rain tonight.
      >
      > 73,
      > Mark N3GNW
      >
      > --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, buysmart2002 <buysmart2002@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark and Holger
      > >
      > > Thanks for the info on the wire size. I had interpreted the
      1,5
      > mm to mean that the cross section was 5 mm squared, a very thick
      > piece of wire indeed. I guess the german decimal mark is a comma
      > instead of the period which is used for the decimal mark in
      > English. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.
      > >
      > > And Holger, I am not using PVC for spreaders; that stuff is ok
      > for some things but not for hexbeam spreaders.
      > >
      > > Leo, K4KIO
      > >
      > > dl7io <dl7io@q...> wrote: Hello K4KIO,
      > > the wire I used has an area of 1.5mm² or a diameter of 1.38mm
      or
      > > 0.054in.
      > > But this is not critical. You easily can use bigger diameter.
      > > serious effect on the length has any kind of insulation as
      this
      > will
      > > lead to shorter elements (2-8%, depending on the kind of
      > insulation).
      > >
      > > By the way. I highly recommend to not (!) use PVC insulation.
      > PVC is
      > > hf sensitive and gets hot if you run power. While using "legal
      > power"
      > > the insulation may get damaged (fluid). With 100W or less this
      > may
      > > not be critical.
      > >
      > > And also I would not use PVC tubes for the spreaders. PVC is
      not
      > > strong enough (mounting/fixing), has no elasticity (tension
      for
      > > wires/shape of antenna)and is never UV resistent.
      > >
      > > This is not saving money but wasting as you have to built
      twice.

      > > 73 Holger
      > >
      > > --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, buysmart2002
      > <buysmart2002@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Somebody help me. DL7IO's design for the hexbeam indicates
      > 1,5 mm2
      > > for the wire. I assume this means cross section of 5 mm
      square,
      > > which translates as best I can figure to 10 gauge. Is this
      > right?
      > > >

      > > > K4KIO
      > > >
      > > > bur52@a... wrote: Hi Mark
      > > >
      > > > I am sure that U will like the performance of the beam. I
      > have
      > > had on at my
      > > > (warminster) QTH for about 3 months. It never lets me
      > > down...amazing
      > > > performance for such a small package.
      > > > I have it up at about 38 feet, on a Rohn push up tower.
      All
      > bands
      > > work very
      > > > well.
      > > >
      > > > Mine was not homebrewed..I did the Traffie thing. Just did
      > not
      > > have the time
      > > > to home brew. But glad to hear yours is comming along !
      > > >
      > > > 73
      > > > KB3LXY / John Burch ( Warminster re-tread ham/ 1967 )
      Old
      > > call..WA3IRJ

      Ferrite
      > > bead Craft
      > > hobby Hobbies and

      crafts

      > > Ham radio
      > antenna
      > > Ham radio Ham radio

      sales

      > of
      > > Service.

      > > Ferrite
      > bead Craft
      > hobby Hobbies and

      crafts
      > Ham radio
      > antenna Ham
      > radio Ham radio

      sales

      > Service.

    • n3gnw
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
        Which crappie pole did you get from BnM poles?

        wrote:

        > My previous message didn't include the link to the site for
        purchase of fiberglass crappie poles. I bought six of them at
        www.bnmpoles.com and they are easily less than a pound each. Seem
        pretty strong and I am getting ready to construct a single band hex
        beam. If successful, I will expand later to multi-band.

        > K4KIO
        >
        > buysmart2002 <buysmart2002@y...> wrote: I just bought six
        crappie poles at this site. They look really good to me and I am
        constructing a single band 20 M hex beam as my first. I don't plan
        to put any tension on the poles for this single bander. The poles
        are very light.

        > K4KIO
        >
        > Tom King <tommignon@y...> wrote: What size electrical
        conduit did you use? I'm
        > considering using schedule 40 3/4 or 1 inch size.
        > What did you use for the center plate and the center
        > verticle section? please keep us informed on the
        > durability of the electrical conduit.
        >
        > Anybody find a source for 10 foot fiberglass poles in
        > the northwest USA?
        >

        > --- n3gnw <n3gnw@a...> wrote:
        >
        > > I've been quiet here (and just about everywhere else
        > > on the net)
        > > since I said I was building a 5 bander.
        > >
        > > I got it together last Sunday (about 36 hours total
        > > work) but it
        > > didn't load on any band. Checking with an ohmmeter
        > > showed a dead
        > > short in the parallel feed line. I was going crazy
        > > trying to figure
        > > out where the problem was and not having any
        > > daylight after work.
        > > Finally my neighbor wondered if the screweyes I used
        > > could be
        > > shorting together in the mast. And that was it.
        > >
        > > Once I unshorted them and fired it up, it loaded
        > > nicely on 20 - 15.
        > > I adjusted 20 and it is now flat across the band as
        > > is 17. 15's SWR
        > > is a little high at the top end of the band. 12 is
        > > resonent out of
        > > band and 10 is narrow but that could be due to the
        > > metal frame of the
        > > picnic table its on.
        > >
        > > I'll try to finish tweaking it this evening and get
        > > it up on a 20
        > > foot mast tomorrow for the contest this weekend.
        > > Hopefully, I'll
        > > find the digital camara and get some pictures.
        > >
        > > This has been built as a temporary antenna with PVC
        > > electrical
        > > conduit as spreaders and a prototype but if it plays
        > > out I'm
        > > definitely looking at a official Traffie version.
        > > The PVC does take
        > > on some interesting shapes.
        > >
        > > Thanks to everyone for there info and pictures of
        > > their antennas.
        > > This is the most major thing I have built from the
        > > ground up in ham
        > > radio.
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Mark N3GNW

        Service.

        > Ferrite
        bead Craft
        hobby Hobbies and
        crafts
        Ham radio
        antenna Ham
        radio Ham radio
        sales

        Service.

      • buysmart2002
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
          I got six of the BW4, 13 foot poles for $11.83 each. The first three sections extend to about 122 inches so I don't need the fourth section as I am building a 20-10 five band system. I am inserting a 1 inch wood dowel about six inches long in the large end and bolting the dowel to the wood base plate. It's very strong and this way, I don't use U bolts and bring any crushing pressure on the pole.

          If you are going to build a 20 meter hexbeam, I would not be tempted to buy the 10 foot crappie poles to save a few bucks because the last section is really not stiff enough to do the job. Go ahead and get the 13 foot poles and just use the three larger sections.

          I just shoved the last section back into the pole; it weighs very little and it looked like too much trouble to get it out. The far end of the third section of the pole is 1/4 inch in diameter and I stuck 1/4 inch wood dowel about four inches long into the end of each. This makes it possible to tie to the end without cutting a hole in the pole itself thereby weakening it. I have drilled a small hole in each dowel to use to put a small homemade copper link in it that will be used to tie the nylon cords to (there will be three cords at this junction point, one to the center pole and one each to the adjacent crappie pole).

          The poles when extended to ten feet can be bent up without any apparent stress (they are fishing poles afterall) but have enough rigidity that I am confident they will support all the wires (which will be 16 ga stranded, non-insulated) using DL7IO measurements.

          I am painting all wood parts and using galvanized bolts.

          The mast is inserted through a 1 5/16 hole in the center of the base. The mast is connected to the base using three simple 90 degree angle brackets. I am using a hose clamp to pull the brackets against the pole so there is no need to drill through the mast and use more bolts. This will make it possible to easily slide the base up and down the pole for minor adjustments as necessary.

          To anchor the antenna wires to the poles, I will use a cable tie wrapped onto itself to form a loop with a long tail. The tail section of the tie will be taped to the pole. This way the antenna wire can slip easily inside the loop as needed. Guess it will take about 30 of these for a five band system. (6 per band).

          Sorry, you asked what time it is and you got the design of the watch.

          All the best,

          Leo, K4KIO

          n3gnw <n3gnw@...> wrote: Which crappie pole did you get from BnM poles?

          wrote:

          > My previous message didn't include the link to the site for
          purchase of fiberglass crappie poles. I bought six of them at
          www.bnmpoles.com and they are easily less than a pound each. Seem
          pretty strong and I am getting ready to construct a single band hex
          beam. If successful, I will expand later to multi-band.

          > K4KIO
          >
          > buysmart2002 <buysmart2002@y...> wrote: I just bought six
          crappie poles at this site. They look really good to me and I am
          constructing a single band 20 M hex beam as my first. I don't plan
          to put any tension on the poles for this single bander. The poles
          are very light.

          > K4KIO
          >
          > Tom King <tommignon@y...> wrote: What size electrical
          conduit did you use? I'm
          > considering using schedule 40 3/4 or 1 inch size.
          > What did you use for the center plate and the center
          > verticle section? please keep us informed on the
          > durability of the electrical conduit.
          >
          > Anybody find a source for 10 foot fiberglass poles in
          > the northwest USA?
          >

          > --- n3gnw <n3gnw@a...> wrote:
          >
          > > I've been quiet here (and just about everywhere else
          > > on the net)
          > > since I said I was building a 5 bander.
          > >
          > > I got it together last Sunday (about 36 hours total
          > > work) but it
          > > didn't load on any band. Checking with an ohmmeter
          > > showed a dead
          > > short in the parallel feed line. I was going crazy
          > > trying to figure
          > > out where the problem was and not having any
          > > daylight after work.
          > > Finally my neighbor wondered if the screweyes I used
          > > could be
          > > shorting together in the mast. And that was it.
          > >
          > > Once I unshorted them and fired it up, it loaded
          > > nicely on 20 - 15.
          > > I adjusted 20 and it is now flat across the band as
          > > is 17. 15's SWR
          > > is a little high at the top end of the band. 12 is
          > > resonent out of
          > > band and 10 is narrow but that could be due to the
          > > metal frame of the
          > > picnic table its on.
          > >
          > > I'll try to finish tweaking it this evening and get
          > > it up on a 20
          > > foot mast tomorrow for the contest this weekend.
          > > Hopefully, I'll
          > > find the digital camara and get some pictures.
          > >
          > > This has been built as a temporary antenna with PVC
          > > electrical
          > > conduit as spreaders and a prototype but if it plays
          > > out I'm
          > > definitely looking at a official Traffie version.
          > > The PVC does take
          > > on some interesting shapes.
          > >
          > > Thanks to everyone for there info and pictures of
          > > their antennas.
          > > This is the most major thing I have built from the
          > > ground up in ham
          > > radio.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Mark N3GNW

          Service.

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2005
            Part of my justification for building the first is that its a
            prototype and learning tool. It needs improvement to withstand more
            than a couple of months of use. So your explanations give me a lot
            of ideas.

            How do you mount the base plate to the support post (not center feed
            post)?

            73,
            Mark

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > I'll try to finish tweaking it this evening and get
            > > > it up on a 20
            > > > foot mast tomorrow for the contest this weekend.
            > > > Hopefully, I'll
            > > > find the digital camara and get some pictures.
            > > >
            > > > This has been built as a temporary antenna with PVC
            > > > electrical
            > > > conduit as spreaders and a prototype but if it plays
            > > > out I'm
            > > > definitely looking at a official Traffie version.
            > > > The PVC does take
            > > > on some interesting shapes.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks to everyone for there info and pictures of
            > > > their antennas.
            > > > This is the most major thing I have built from the
            > > > ground up in ham
            > > > radio.
            > > >
            > > > 73,
            > > > Mark N3GNW

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms

            Ferrite
            > bead Craft
            > hobby Hobbies and

            crafts
            > Ham radio
            > antenna Ham
            > radio Ham radio

            sales

            > Service.

            > Ferrite
            bead Craft
            hobby Hobbies and
            crafts
            Ham radio antenna
            Ham radio Ham radio
            sales

            Service.

          • buysmart2002
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2005
              Holger, I am building a 20 M hexbeam using your design measurements. They are very helpful.
              However, I have a question. The reflector element is longer than the driven element. Also the end spacing for the reflector element is greater. Does not this mean that the reflector element and the driven element must be in slightly different planes?
              I installed the driven element first and am finding that the reflector element has too much slack in it. How is this to be dealt with?

              The only solution I can find is to place the reflector element in a slightly higher plane than the driven element. Is that correct?
              Thanks for any help.
              73, Leo K4KIO
              dl7io <dl7io@...> wrote:
              Hello K4KIO,
              the wire I used has an area of 1.5mm² or a diameter of 1.38mm or
              0.054in.
              But this is not critical. You easily can use bigger diameter. A

              wrote:

              > Somebody help me. DL7IO's design for the hexbeam indicates 1,5 mm2
              for the wire. I assume this means cross section of 5 mm square,
              which translates as best I can figure to 10 gauge. Is this right?

              > K4KIO
              >
              > bur52@a... wrote: Hi Mark
              >
              > I am sure that U will like the performance of the beam. I have
              had on at my
              > (warminster) QTH for about 3 months. It never lets me
              down...amazing
              > performance for such a small package.
              > I have it up at about 38 feet, on a Rohn push up tower. All bands
              work very
              > well.
              >
              > Mine was not homebrewed..I did the Traffie thing. Just did not
              have the time
              > to home brew. But glad to hear yours is comming along !
              >
              > 73
              > KB3LXY / John Burch ( Warminster re-tread ham/ 1967 ) Old
              call..WA3IRJ

              > Ferrite
              bead Craft
              hobby Hobbies and
              crafts
              Ham radio antenna
              Ham radio Ham radio
              sales

              Service.

              Ferrite bead Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Ham radio antenna Ham radio Ham radio sales

            • dl7io
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2005
                Hello Leo,
                The reflector ens spacing is shorter than for the driven element.
                It may be 1 value for the overall spacing and 1 value for reflector
                or driven element spacing only.
                In every case the reflector end isolator is shorter than for the
                driven element.
                73 Holger