New 5Bi

  • ah2beecamp
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi,
      I just bought a new 5 bander...should be here by the middle of the
      week. Any inputs on how to max out its potential before I get to put
      it up??? any ideas or need to know before I try to get it up this
      weekend??? any inputs would be greatly appreciated...

      Ed NT4TT Idaho Falls, Id
    • bur52@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi Ed

        Congrats ! I think it is pretty basic. There is not much to it..other than
        follow the directions. Make sure that you lone up the marks on the base plate.
        That will effect the overall lenght of the spreaders.

        I had my Hex assebbled in about an hour. Working Dx at 5-6 feet of the
        ground. It was on a step ladder, as I was checking the swr...I heard a DL station
        calling CQ on 20 meters. I keyed the mike, and answered....100 watts. He came
        back to me with a 5x8 report !
        They work!

        Traffie says that 35-40 feet is about the best height for overall
        performance. Any higher, it looses the ability to work short to medium skip. Take off
        angle is low? I am not sure that I understand that...but I have mine at 39
        feet, and I have done very well with it.
        Last weekend, the world wide dx contest was a good test...many pile ups
        busted, 600-700 watts 15-17-20 meters. It works...good luck with it.

        What are you going to use to get it up in the air? Mast..tower..roof mount??
        JohnB
        kb3lxy

      • Duke - NA1A
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          Congrats on your new purchase. You will find the Hexbeam's performance to be fantastic. Just follow the instructions in the assembly manual, you won't have any problems. Do make an RF choke with 8 turns of coax and tape it just underneath the hub. This will help cutting back on any potentials RFI.
          I have mine on a Tri-Ex W51 tower, cranked to about 45ft. I work the world with it and oftenly I have people telling me that I am the loudest station they hear on the band.

          73,
          Duke - NA1A
          Website: http://NA1A.US

          -- "ah2beecamp" <ah2beecamp@...> wrote:
          Hi,
          I just bought a new 5 bander...should be here by the middle of the
          week. Any inputs on how to max out its potential before I get to put
          it up??? any ideas or need to know before I try to get it up this
          weekend??? any inputs would be greatly appreciated...

          Ed NT4TT Idaho Falls, Id

          <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

          SPONSORED LINKS Ferrite bead Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Ham radio antenna Ham radio Ham radio sales <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| --><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          Visit your group "hex-beam" on the web.

          <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

        • Jason Hissong
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
            Ed,

            Major congrats on your new Hexbeam! Be prepared to have a lot of fun
            with it. I am looking forward to the SS contest this weekend. I will
            be running QRP using the K2 and the Hexbeam. Prop it up 6 or 8 feet and
            see how it works for you.

            Jason N8XE

            --

            "A long journey starts with the first step and an understanding spouse."
            http://www.undermidnight.com - astronomy and astrophotography
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
              Hi ED now you have A antenna it should be good mine is only 6 meter of the ground here in New Zealand and it works well no problem enjoy it i brouth mine with from Cape Town ,South Africa it goes were i go 73 de ZL1PDT, NZ
              I'm not old only enjoying the good life !!

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                Hi,
                Thanks for the reply...I have bought a Rohn 40' push up pole to get it up to at least 40'. By the time I do the rotor etc it will be up about 45'...so not to bad...by the way what type of rotor are you using???
                I hope to be up no later than sunday depending on wx..we have several fronts going thru.I do have a large garage/shop to maybe put it together depending on how long the spreaders are.
                Maybe we can chat on HF then..
                73,
                Ed NT4TT

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Hi,
                  Thanks fo rthe reply...and the advice. with the choke for clearification...all I do is use coax and do 8 turns and tape it under the hub...it is NOT inline with the coax back to the rig??
                  maybe I am just thick..sorry.
                  Hope to catch you on the air this weekend.
                  Ed NT4TT

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Hi,
                    good for you...enjoy while you can...a good friend and old qsl manager ZS2DK has been inactive and I am trying to get him back on the air...if this works well I plan to send him one..
                    hopefully I will catch you up and on one day..
                    Vy 73,
                    Ed now NT4TT ex AH2BE AH2BE/KH6/KH9/KH0 KB6DAW/KH2/KH6/KH9/KH0
                    HL9MM 8P9GI and HZ1AB

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Channel master, and a didgital control here. Works perfect !
                      73
                      JohnB

                    • bur52@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                        6 inch diameter, 6 turns in line...can be put on a piece of pvc pipe...or
                        use the toroides that traffies sells. That is what I did...no TVI issues. Other
                        than in my bedroom. The set is directly under the beam. I have some screen
                        cross hatching, if i run 500 watts or better
                        JohnB

                      • w4wb
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                          --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, edward campbell <ah2beecamp@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > Thanks fo rthe reply...and the advice. with the choke for
                          clearification...all I do is use coax and do 8 turns and tape it
                          under the hub...it is NOT inline with the coax back to the rig??
                          > maybe I am just thick..sorry.
                          > Hope to catch you on the air this weekend.
                          > Ed NT4TT

                          Ed,

                          You will find the RF choke results better if you use ferrite beads.
                          See the home page for this site for more information. The coax
                          balun is okay, but not as good ... but do use one of the two in any
                          case. Have fun. My SN 80/81 has been up for about 5 years and
                          works great. You might wonder why I have an odd serial number.
                          Reason is that another chap has SN 81/80. Somehow, some of my parts
                          when with his antenna package and the converse with my package. No
                          matter, they both work just fine. hi hi

                          73,
                          Barry W4WB
                        • James Balls
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 4, 2005
                            On the subject of RF chokes,

                            How would I build an RF Choke for a 40m Hex

                            Also a choke to cover 40/80/160m ... any ideas?

                            Regards,

                            Jim M0CKE

                            w4wb wrote:

                            >--- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, edward campbell <ah2beecamp@y...>
                            >wrote:
                            >

                            >>Hi,
                            >> Thanks fo rthe reply...and the advice. with the choke for
                            >>

                            >clearification...all I do is use coax and do 8 turns and tape it
                            >under the hub...it is NOT inline with the coax back to the rig??
                            >

                            >>maybe I am just thick..sorry.
                            >> Hope to catch you on the air this weekend.
                            >> Ed NT4TT
                            >>

                            >Ed,
                            >
                            >You will find the RF choke results better if you use ferrite beads.
                            >See the home page for this site for more information. The coax
                            >balun is okay, but not as good ... but do use one of the two in any
                            >case. Have fun. My SN 80/81 has been up for about 5 years and
                            >works great. You might wonder why I have an odd serial number.
                            >Reason is that another chap has SN 81/80. Somehow, some of my parts
                            >when with his antenna package and the converse with my package. No
                            >matter, they both work just fine. hi hi
                            >
                            >73,
                            >Barry W4WB
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • w4wb
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 6, 2005
                              Jim,

                              For my 40-30 m Hex-Beam (bottom fed), I use 12 FB-77-1024 beads on the
                              coax just blow the hub. Worked fine for me.

                              As you go lower in freq, you need more stuff ... beads or coax. Look
                              in the files (see home page too) for info on coax balun.

                              73,
                              Barry W4WB