I think it works

  • bur52
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      The Hex as been up only a few days. I have to say, I am like a kid with
      a new toy!

      At 30 feet...worked VK9,multiple Russians, west Africa,
      Argentina,Norway, Spain, Azores,Finland, England...and a few more. Most
      were on the first call. Using 500 watts the system seems to be pretty
      efficient in radiating a good signal. The VK9 was a little tough copy
      on my end, but he gave me a good signal report. It may be a mini
      beam...but it works for me. I cannot wait to get it up a little
      higher !!
      JohnB
      KB3LXY
      73
    • Bill Metzger
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        What you are describing appears to be a characteristic of the Hexbeam. If
        you can hear a station (even barely) they appear to hear you much stronger.
        I've found this to be the case with my HX 5Bi on many occasions and have
        been told by Mike Traffie that this is quite common. Apparently the antenna
        radiates very well and has a unique low angle of radiation making it great
        for DX. Mine is at about 35 feet mounted to a deck. It is my understanding
        that 35 to 40 feet is optimal for the Hexbeam. I am not sure about yours,
        but my 5Bi has a flat SWR across every one of the bands. On 20 meters, the
        highest SWR is 1.5 and the lowest undetectable (1 to 1). It is great to
        just tune up a station and transmit without worrying about the SWR. I took
        my AT-1000 Autotuner out of the system immediately and now use it on a
        ground-mounted vertical on 80 meters.

        I am very pleased with the Hexbeam and recommend it to anyone who wants to
        try and build one or who has the $$$ to buy one. My only advice might be to
        paint it flat black or gray or some other neutral color to make it blend
        into the sky and/or surroundings. The white fiberglass arms are quite
        obvious.

        Bill
        KF0OH