Re: Max-Gain Fiberglass spreaders

  • lengail2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2004
      Harvey,
      What were the lengths of the 3/4 and 1/2 inch material?
      Did it bend well?
      Thanks,
      Len K6LRF

      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "wa2aae" <wa2aae@y...> wrote:
      > I went with Max-Gain also and used 6 3/4 tubes and 6 1/2 rods.
      Makes
      > a sturdy antenna.
      >
      > Harvey.........WA2AAE
      >

      > -- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "dsimmons1999" <dsimmons@m...>
      wrote:
      > > Adding to the spreader discussion, I just received an order from
      > Max-
      > > Gain (http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberg.htm) for the spreaders on my
      > > homebrew hex-beam.
      > >
      > > I ordered the following 8' pieces:
      > >
      > > QTY Size Type
      > > --- ---- ----
      > > 3 3/4" tube
      > > 3 1/2" tube
      > > 3 1/4" solid rod
      > >
      > > Since UPS cost for 8' packages is really expensive, Max-Gain will
      > cut
      > > the 3 pieces in half and then you have 6 of everything, avoiding
      > the
      > > shipping surcharge. Be sure to ask them to sleve the tubes
      before
      > > cutting; that way you pay for 3 cuts instead of 9. The whole set
      > was
      > > a bit over $70 shipped to the west coast.
      > >
      > > The material seems pretty strong. These are definitely heavier
      > than
      > > fishing pole blanks and should be more durable.
      > >
      > > The only thing I'm concerned about is that the 1/4" rod is much
      > more
      > > flexible than the larger tubes. If I pull up on the tip of a
      11'
      > > assembly, the end thinnest piece does almost all the flexing,
      which
      > > is totally understandable. I'm planning on using a few spacers
      so
      > > the tubes are pointing up slightly and this should put the
      > spreaders
      > > in about the right place for the wire junctions on the higher
      > > frequency bands. In other words, I'm still sorting out the
      > geometry
      > > and base mounting.
      > >
      > > Allen Bond at Max-Gain mentioned that he gets about a call per
      week
      > > asking about hex-beam spreaders and thinks this would be the best
      > > setup.
      > >
      > > - Dave
      > > KQ6RL
      > >
      > > Usual disclaimers: no relationship with Max-Gain, just a
      customer.
    • wa2aae
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2004
        The lengths I used for the spreaders were a 8 ft length of 3/4"
        tubing and a 3 ft length of 1/2" rod. I allowed one foot of the rod
        to be inserted into the tube, giving a spreader length of 10'. I slit
        the end of the 3/4" tubing for about one inch to allow a hose clamp
        to lock the 1/2" rod in place. The fiberglass bent without any
        problems.

        Harvey