Re: ferrite beads or line isolator?

  • Andrea & Chuck Bridges
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      Ken:

      I use a coax choke -- about 8 feet of coax in a coil of 6-7 turns. The ARRL
      Antenna book suggests that this choke should be effective 14 - 30 MHz. I used
      wire ties to form the coil and have it taped to one of crossarms right at the
      base plate. It seems to work pretty well, and all you need is some "slack" in
      your feed line.

      73, Chuck, AK6DV
    • w4wb
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Chuck,

        In the files section of this group, you can find an excellent
        technical note by K1TTT. He made some very good experimental
        measurements to provide guidance. See the folder Publications and
        the file airbalun.html.

        My experience with the coax balun vs. the ferrite beads (#77) is that
        the beads do a much better job. Yes, the cost is maybe $10-12 for
        the beadss compared to the $5-6 for the extra coax, but that seems
        incidental after you have spent a lot for the antenna and coax. :-)

        73,
        Barry W4WB

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea & Chuck Bridges"
        <AK6DV@a...> wrote:
        > Ken:
        >
        > I use a coax choke -- about 8 feet of coax in a coil of 6-7 turns.
        The ARRL
        > Antenna book suggests that this choke should be effective 14 - 30
        MHz. I used
        > wire ties to form the coil and have it taped to one of crossarms
        right at the
        > base plate. It seems to work pretty well, and all you need is
        some "slack" in
        > your feed line.
        >
        > 73, Chuck, AK6DV
      • Andrea & Chuck Bridges
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
          Barry:

          Thanks for pointing out W1TTT's article!

          73, Chuck, AK6DV
        • Harvey Mandell
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2004
            The Wire Man sells a kit which is similar to the W2DU
            ferrite balun. The kit consists of a large quanity of
            ferrite beads that are placed over a length of low
            loss coax also provided in the kit. You provide the
            type of enclosure you want. I used a 12" length of
            1.25" PCV pipe with end caps.

            73, Harvey

            http://search.yahoo.com