HexNut Partyline versus 17 meters

  • w6hb
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 3:03 PM
      Hi Folks,

      We had in individual break in / check in to today's Partyline who
      voiced a concern that we were violating the "rule" of "no nets" on
      the WARC bands. As a users' group, 17 was originally selected to
      minimize interference to and from contests and operating events. The
      thought was that it would provide the best compromise frequency-wise
      for the most folks given the current point in the solar cycle. As a
      users' group it was thought that it would be no different than a
      ragchew with many participants and open to anyone. Last week we QSYed
      for a QRP net on 18157.5. The meeting frequency was chosen subject to
      QSYing if occupied. The recommendations of all are requested. What
      are you opinions and suggestions? Should we seek a non-WARC band or
      is this a non-issue?

      73

      Doug - W6HB
    • KQ6XA
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 3:47 PM
        ><Doug - W6HB wrote><
        > We had in individual break in / check in to today's Partyline who
        > voiced a concern that we were violating the "rule" of "no nets" on
        > the WARC bands. As a users' group, 17 was originally selected to
        > minimize interference to and from contests and operating events.

        Hi Doug,

        There is no rule about 17m being free of nets. In fact, there are
        several 17m nets listed in the ARRL Net Directory. Traditionally,
        nets tend to gravitate to other bands instead of 17m due to the
        propagation. 17m propagation can be good or very bad, depending upon
        a net's objective. When the band is open, there is normally a skip
        zone of about 750miles... so it is often difficult for regional
        QSOs. This increases the difficulty of maintaining some sense of
        order in a net. But for casual roundtables, like the Hex Net, 17m
        makes a great band.

        Bonnie KQ6XA
      • w4wb
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1 6:00 PM
          Hi Doug and All,

          No, 17 m isn't required to be NET free. Bonnie has made a few good
          points, but I note that HFPack is highly informal and 18.1575 is a
          self-proclaimed calling frequency with no special privileges to have
          clear sailing 24/7. The FCC rule of frequency use applies.

          That said, we can easily move our informal meetings, that occupies
          maybe a total of two hours a week at most, down 1 KHz to 18.155 or
          maybe up 18.160 or something else. Frankly, folks getting into our
          discussions have no real problem being heard if they are using a Hex-
          Beam! hi hi

          If you have any thoughts on moving the frequency, pse send them to
          Doug and I will change the home page on the web site if the decision
          is to change it.

          73 de Barry W4WB
          Moderator