My HEX-Beam ready for testing

  • PA2JJB
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2003
      Hello to you all,
      Today I finished all the wiring of the HEX-beam and
      the wires are almost on their right places on the bamboos. On advice
      of Holger DL7IO I make all the wires of driven and reflector elements
      10cm shorter, because I'm using isolated wires, but keeping the
      lenght of the endwires for the driven and reflector elements
      unchanged. I connected about 70 feet of coax to the beam and put on
      my IC-706 and the SWR's on all bands where not bad at all, but the
      beam was only 3 feet above the ground....I hear LZ2TU calling CQ on
      18.071 Kc and answered him with only 20Watts and he come back for me;
      so that was my big thrill !!!!!
      The beam works only 3 feet above the ground and works some more
      stations in Spain and Russia all with 20Watts.
      After that I put the beam on a 10 feet mast and saw the difference in
      SWR now, but its on all bands below 1:2....not bad at all.
      Heared some W-stations on 15M just before the bands closing and I
      think the HEX-beam is very quiet to listen.
      Tomorrow I will see with the AEA-antenna-analyser what the SWR-curve
      and resonance really is doing at this height.

      Best 73's and good luck by building this amazing beam.

      PA2JJB Texel-Island IOTA EU-038
    • Sieb.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "PA2JJB" <jj-bakker@q...> wrote:
        > Hello to you all,
        > Today I finished all the wiring of the HEX-beam and
        > the wires are almost on their right places on the bamboos. On advice
        > of Holger DL7IO I make all the wires of driven and reflector elements
        > 10cm shorter, because I'm using isolated wires, but keeping the
        > lenght of the endwires for the driven and reflector elements
        > unchanged. I connected about 70 feet of coax to the beam and put on
        > my IC-706 and the SWR's on all bands where not bad at all, but the
        > beam was only 3 feet above the ground....I hear LZ2TU calling CQ on
        > 18.071 Kc and answered him with only 20Watts and he come back for me;
        > so that was my big thrill !!!!!
        > The beam works only 3 feet above the ground and works some more
        > stations in Spain and Russia all with 20Watts.
        > After that I put the beam on a 10 feet mast and saw the difference in
        > SWR now, but its on all bands below 1:2....not bad at all.
        > Heared some W-stations on 15M just before the bands closing and I
        > think the HEX-beam is very quiet to listen.

        Hello John.
        Always nice to see that you are progressing so nicely with your
        Hex-beam.
        It has become too cold here to do any serious antenna work.
        The temperature is mostly below zero degrees celcius and there is
        snow on the ground too..
        Hope that the weather on your side of the pond stays good enough to
        hoist your antenna up in the air soon.
        PS: did you get my E-mail dated Oct 13? If not I will send it again.
        73 de Sieb,,VE3JUA.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
          Hello Sieb,
          Thanks for mail....no I did'nt receive your mail of oct
          13. At a hight of 10 feet all resonance-freqencies are below the
          bands. When I come home from my job its dark to do anything to prune
          the beam. Also freezing here at the moment, but temperature will
          increase during the week and I hope to tune the HEX-beam in the
          coming weekend.

          Beste 73's PA2JJB

          > Hello John.
          > Always nice to see that you are progressing so nicely with your
          > Hex-beam.
          > It has become too cold here to do any serious antenna work.
          > The temperature is mostly below zero degrees celcius and there is
          > snow on the ground too..
          > Hope that the weather on your side of the pond stays good enough
          > hoist your antenna up in the air soon.
          > PS: did you get my E-mail dated Oct 13? If not I will send it
          again.
          > 73 de Sieb,,VE3JUA.
          > > Tomorrow I will see with the AEA-antenna-analyser what the SWR-
          curve
          > > and resonance really is doing at this height.
          > >
          > > Best 73's and good luck by building this amazing beam.
          > >
          > > PA2JJB Texel-Island IOTA EU-038
        • w4wb
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
            --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "PA2JJB" <jj-bakker@q...> wrote:
            > Hello Sieb,
            > Thanks for mail....no I did'nt receive your mail of oct
            > 13. At a hight of 10 feet all resonance-freqencies are below the
            > bands. When I come home from my job its dark to do anything to
            prune
            > the beam. Also freezing here at the moment, but temperature will
            > increase during the week and I hope to tune the HEX-beam in the
            > coming weekend.
            >
            > Beste 73's PA2JJB

            The resonant frequency will increase signficantly as you raise the
            antenna. Beware trimming at low heights.
            GL es 73,
            Barry - W4WB