Re: Antenna Noise

  • wa2aae
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003

      > It may be due to the fact that you are suppose to install all of
      the
      > elements (assuming you have a HX-5B) before you use it. This is
      due
      > to the fact that the elements interact with each other an influence
      > the impedance. Have you checked the antenna impedance with an
      > analyzer? Best bet is to spend the next 30 mnutes and put on the
      > other elements!
      >
      > Have fun!
      > Barry - W4WB

      The antenna does resonate on 20 Mtrs with a reasonable SWR (2:1). I
      did check the impedance with an anaylzer and found that the impedance
      is on the low side, closer to 30 ohms. I guess the noise might just
      be the location with the power lines in the back yard at the same
      height the antenna.

      I started to added the other elements, but one of the the spreaders
      I'm using (a Cabella Crappie fishing pole)cracked as I was tightening
      a hose clamp to hold the 10 mtr element. I stuffed dowels in it for a
      temporary fix and I am going to order fiberglass rod with a thicker
      wall.

      Thanks............Harvey - WA2AAE
    • wa2aae
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hissong <jhisson1@c...> wrote:
        > I noticed more noise on my antenna as well... however, I found that
        it
        > was from the power poles behind my house and the Hexbeam was
        picking it
        > up better!! (because of gain that I have never had before.) In
        fact,
        > when I rotate the Hexbeam due north (where the lines are) I get the
        RFI.
        > My inverted V is perpendicular to the power lines so it was
        quieter.
        > When the Hexbeam is pointing east or west, the noise is lowered
        (but
        > not completely gone away).
        >
        > I would put the other elements on and see what happens.
        >
        > BTW... I just worked a new country with my HB... JT1CO. I just
        love my
        > Hexbeam!!
        >
        > Let us know if any changes occur when you put the other elements
        on...

        > 73!!
        >
        > Jason Hissong
        > N8XE
        > http://www.qsl.net/n8xe

        The antenna does resonate on 20 Mtrs with a reasonable SWR (2:1). I
        did check the impedance with an anaylzer and found that the impedance
        is on the low side, closer to 30 ohms. I guess the noise might just
        be the location with the power lines in the back yard at the same
        height the antenna.

        I started to added the other elements, but one of the the spreaders
        I'm using (a Cabella Crappie fishing pole)cracked as I was tightening
        a hose clamp to hold the 10 mtr element. I stuffed dowels in it for a
        temporary fix and I am going to order fiberglass rod with a thicker
        wall.

        Thanks............Harvey - WA2AAE
      • Jim Isbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
          I haven't done this, but will be trying it when I begin building a
          "spider beam" later this year. But I think a good way to avoid the
          cracked poles is to make sure the interior is filled completely with a
          TAPERED insert, not a round insert that wont support all the wall. What
          I intend to try is stuffing a paper tower about 8" down the interior of
          the pole then pouring in enough epoxy filler (auto body stuff) to fill
          the butt of the pole. When that hardens it should give a perfect
          support for the walls of the pole.

          wa2aae wrote:

          >I started to added the other elements, but one of the the spreaders
          >I'm using (a Cabella Crappie fishing pole)cracked as I was tightening
          >a hose clamp to hold the 10 mtr element. I stuffed dowels in it for a
          >temporary fix and I am going to order fiberglass rod with a thicker
          >wall.

        • Harvey Mandell
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2003
            I've order fiberglass rod (1/2 inch) to resolve the
            problem. The fishing rod walls were about 1/32 inch
            thick and obviously not strong enough. I tried to save
            some money not being sure if the beam would work, but
            in retrospect should have spent a few more bucks
            initially and bought the fiberglass material. It did
            not cost that much more.

            Harvey----WA2AAE

            --- Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@...> wrote:
            > I haven't done this, but will be trying it when I
            > begin building a
            > "spider beam" later this year. But I think a good
            > way to avoid the
            > cracked poles is to make sure the interior is filled
            > completely with a
            > TAPERED insert, not a round insert that wont support
            > all the wall. What
            > I intend to try is stuffing a paper tower about 8"
            > down the interior of
            > the pole then pouring in enough epoxy filler (auto
            > body stuff) to fill
            > the butt of the pole. When that hardens it should
            > give a perfect
            > support for the walls of the pole.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • ralple
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2003
              --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Jim Isbell <millenniumfalcon@c...>
              wrote:
              a good way to avoid the
              > cracked poles ...
              > I intend to try is stuffing a paper ... epoxy filler (auto body
              stuff) to fill
              > the butt of the pole.

              >>(a Cabella Crappie fishing pole)cracked ...

              I'm new to ham. I don't know if this has been mentioned. Just trying
              to be helpfull. ...

              Fishing rods should have a strong and weak side. The direction the
              fishing line will pull on the rod should be the strong side. The
              weaker side will give you tension with less chance of breaking the
              rod. If you have a blank. You can find the strong side by rolling
              the rod against the edge of a table while the butt is on the floor.
              You do this while pushing a little on the rod for tension. The rod
              will want to "settle" on the weak side.

              I would like to mention. If you want fiberglass rod blank that is
              very strong. Try a "Cal Star" fishing rod blank. You would be amazed
              at how much bend these will take without breaking. I think this
              stuff could take ice. They are guaranteed I think for life. I
              wouldn't be surprised, if you called Cal Star and asked, that they
              would guarantee them for usage on a hex-beam or quad. The longest I
              see on a website (just looked) is only ten feet...I thought I had
              seen longer. Also, for this use in antennas. If someone who knew
              what he was talking about (not me) were to call Cal Star....He might
              be interested in making blanks for this use? Or at least advising
              for the best blanks....I'm still sure I've seen longer than 10 feet
              from Cal Star.

              The method they use for attaching eyelets to fishing rods is
              actually extremely good. By this, I mean by wrapping thick thread
              around the rod. They do double, and tripple wraps commonly. Usually,
              one wrap set is under the eyelet. Then the others are over the
              eyelet to hold it's feet on the rod. This actually increases the
              strength of the rod instead of weakening it at that point. I think
              it would be a great way to attach anchors for antenna wire.

              I'm just trying to help here. Maybe good suggestions? Maybe
              overkill? I hope this helps out?

              RonP