Number 289 almost on the air

  • aa5charliehotel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 8:00 PM
      Hi there.

      HX5BI Number 289 is assembled, mounted on the 40 foot pushup pole, is
      12 feet up, and almost ready to go up the rest of the way. As soon as
      the guy ropes are cut and attached to the rings and a couple of pairs
      of extra hands can be rounded up, we'll see how well it plays. I
      haven't tried it yet as the coax still needs to be run through the
      attic and down the wall to the shack...not something I wanted to do
      this afternoon while it was 95 degrees.

      When my wife (N5NAP) saw it assembled in the front yard, she
      said, "Is this about the last one?" However, this afternoon she said
      that that it was her "favorite antenna." She helped me set the pushup
      pole on the short pipe section this afternoon after I attached the
      rotor and the antenna.

      I'm glad I reviewed the postings here before I put up the Hex Beam.
      As a result, I learned that guy rope should be used rahter than wire,
      what type and how many ferrite beads to use, and where to get
      them....very useful info. Thanks.

      Hopefully, I will be able to post a report on how well it is working
      in a few days. My local ham friends think I'm nuts for purchasing
      this antenna, rather than a Cuschcraft MA5B or the TGM Hybrid Quad.
      After researching, I came to the conclusion that the Hex Beam was the
      best beam I could get in the air, using a heavy duty pushup pole and
      an inexpensive rotator. We'll see....

      73,

      Brad
      AA5CH
    • w6hb
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 9:50 PM
        Hi Brad.

        Remind your friends that you are not nuts, just a new HexNut! With
        the Hex, you have gain and bandwidth on 5 bands where the MA5 and TGM
        do not. Let me know when you want a sched to run patterns or compare
        reports. Do you have another antenna as a reference?

        73 - Doug - W6HB

        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "aa5charliehotel" <aa5ch@a...> wrote:
        > Hi there.
        >
        > HX5BI Number 289 is assembled, mounted on the 40 foot pushup pole,
        is
        > 12 feet up, and almost ready to go up the rest of the way. As soon
        as
        > the guy ropes are cut and attached to the rings and a couple of
        pairs
        > of extra hands can be rounded up, we'll see how well it plays. I
        > haven't tried it yet as the coax still needs to be run through the
        > attic and down the wall to the shack...not something I wanted to do
        > this afternoon while it was 95 degrees.
        >
        > When my wife (N5NAP) saw it assembled in the front yard, she
        > said, "Is this about the last one?" However, this afternoon she
        said
        > that that it was her "favorite antenna." She helped me set the
        pushup
        > pole on the short pipe section this afternoon after I attached the
        > rotor and the antenna.
        >
        > I'm glad I reviewed the postings here before I put up the Hex Beam.
        > As a result, I learned that guy rope should be used rahter than
        wire,
        > what type and how many ferrite beads to use, and where to get
        > them....very useful info. Thanks.
        >
        > Hopefully, I will be able to post a report on how well it is
        working
        > in a few days. My local ham friends think I'm nuts for purchasing
        > this antenna, rather than a Cuschcraft MA5B or the TGM Hybrid Quad.
        > After researching, I came to the conclusion that the Hex Beam was
        the
        > best beam I could get in the air, using a heavy duty pushup pole
        and
        > an inexpensive rotator. We'll see....
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Brad
        > AA5CH
      • Jason Hissong
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4 5:07 AM
          Brad,

          Awesome!! Glad you are making good progress. About your friends:

          When that rare one comes up.... asked them how well they are doing
          trying to contact them. Then let them know that you got em on a first
          try!! HIHI... seriously though, as Doug, W6HB, mentioned, you get gain
          on 17 and 12. You cannot go wrong with that.

          I work QRP alot and my Hexbeam really helps my little signal get out. I
          worked Greece on 100mW a couple of days ago. It was exciting!!

          Anyways... I would also like to set up a sched with you... I will be in
          Keywest for 10 days leaving on Thursday. Maybe Doug, myself, and you
          can get together and then we can do some comparisons. I have a
          vertical, dipole, and the Hexbeam and that way we can test things out.

          73!

          Jason Hissong
          N8XE