Materials

  • engvt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
      Hello,
      I am looking for the dimensions of the "real" hex beam
      hub plate. I primarily need the outer dimensions and the
      size of the U-bolts used. I am also seeking a source for
      fiberglass tubing similar to that used on the commercial
      product.

      Thanks.
      Ron N1WT
    • W. Deloach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
        Ron, I don't have measured drawings, but I have a follow ham who has not assembled his beam yet and will measure and advise!!
        I don't know a supplier of fiberglass products like those used by Traffie!!

        Bill K4QCD
        I am looking for the dimensions of the "real" hex beam
        hub plate. I primarily need the outer dimensions and the
        size of the U-bolts used. I am also seeking a source for
        fiberglass tubing similar to that used on the commercial
        product.

        Thanks.
        Ron N1WT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • David Simmons
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
          You can try Max-Gain at http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberg.htm <http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberg.htm> for fiberglass.

          One thing to note on the tubing is that it comes in 8' sections, and you'll pay a fortune for shipping at that size. You can have them make cuts for .50 cents each down to 4', which just fits the normal UPS limits.

          I haven't ordered from them, but was playing with a design like:

          3 qty 8' 3/4" tubes cut in half for 6 4' pieces
          3 qty 8' 1/2" tubes cut in half for 6 4' pieces (fits inside 3/4" tube)
          3 qty 8' 1/4" rods cut in half for 6 4' pieces (fits inside 1/2" tube)

          Ask them to sleve the pieces before they make the cuts, so that will only be a few cuts. You'd then have 3/4" tubes tapering to 1/4" at the end. They would be about 11' long, assuming a 6" overlap where the joints are. (BTW, how long are the real HexBeam spreaders ?)

          If anyone has opinions about if this sounds right for size and flex, please let me know.

          73,

          - Dave
          KQ6RL

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=854131353>