A few questions

  • rmf01
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2003
      I would be grateful for any comments re the followwing:

      I expect to be moving to a new location and instead of retaining my small KLM tribander (KT34), biting the bullet and purchasing this rather expensive HexBeam 5 bander.

      The KT34 has, despite it's small size, has been a terrific performer re apparent gain but not so hot on apparent F/B ratio. Wonder if any of you could comment on what to expect with the Hexbeam relative to a small tribander.

      I have a 40 foot self-supporting aluminum tower. Since I gather that interactions with other conductors can affect performance in a major fashion, wonder how far above the apex of the tower to mount the Hexbeam and how far away any wire antennas, supported by the tower, should be from the tower.

      Is there any information about take of angle at various heights. Does your experience support this surprising contention that 40 ft is an optimal ht?

      Finally, since I am in the Boston area, can you tell me how this antenna is likely to fare under New England winter conditions? I realize that this is a light antenna with a low profile but what would the surface area be in sq ft. ?

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Tnx,

      Rich W1TSP

    • n1ix@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2003
        I am also in the Boston area (SE New Hampshire). I have only had my HexBeam
        (HX5Bi) one winter. It was a fairly harsh winter as you probably know. The
        HexBeam stood up well with no problems at all.
        I have my HexBeam on a 52 ft. crankup tower but I have found that the best
        hieght is around 40 ft. Through some on the air tests I have verified that the
        f/b ratio is aprox 20db. on 15 meters. The side nulls are exceptional. A South
        American station said I completely faded out with the side towards him when I
        turned the HexBeam.
        I don't think you will get the forward gain that you had with the KT34. Also,
        through some on the air tests I have pegged the HexBeam imperically at 6 - 8db
        forward gain.
        I am very pleased with the HexBeam. It really is a solid performer and fits my
        situation well.
        Dave N1IX
        > I would be grateful for any comments re the followwing:
        >
        > I expect to be moving to a new location and instead of retaining my small KLM
        > tribander (KT34), biting the bullet and purchasing this rather expensive HexBeam
        > 5 bander.
        >
        > The KT34 has, despite it's small size, has been a terrific performer re
        > apparent gain but not so hot on apparent F/B ratio. Wonder if any of you could
        > comment on what to expect with the Hexbeam relative to a small tribander.
        >
        > I have a 40 foot self-supporting aluminum tower. Since I gather that
        > interactions with other conductors can affect performance in a major fashion,
        > wonder how far above the apex of the tower to mount the Hexbeam and how far away
        > any wire antennas, supported by the tower, should be from the tower.
        >
        > Is there any information about take of angle at various heights. Does your
        > experience support this surprising contention that 40 ft is an optimal ht?
        >
        > Finally, since I am in the Boston area, can you tell me how this antenna is
        > likely to fare under New England winter conditions? I realize that this is a
        > light antenna with a low profile but what would the surface area be in sq ft. ?
        >
        > Any advice would be appreciated.
        >
        > Tnx,
        >
        > Rich W1TSP

      • rmf01
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2003
          Thanks very much Dave.

          > I am also in the Boston area (SE New Hampshire). I have only had my
          HexBeam
          > (HX5Bi) one winter. It was a fairly harsh winter as you probably know. The
          > HexBeam stood up well with no problems at all.
          > I have my HexBeam on a 52 ft. crankup tower but I have found that the best
          > hieght is around 40 ft.

          OK, so you confirm this interesting property. In that case would you
          recommend that the antenna be at the apex of my 40 ft tower rather than on a
          5 foot mast?

          Through some on the air tests I have verified that the
          > f/b ratio is aprox 20db. on 15 meters. The side nulls are exceptional. A
          South
          > American station said I completely faded out with the side towards him
          when I
          > turned the HexBeam.
          > I don't think you will get the forward gain that you had with the KT34.
          Also,
          > through some on the air tests I have pegged the HexBeam imperically at 6 -
          8db
          > forward gain.

          Would that be DBi or DBd?

          73 Rich

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • n1ix@att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2003
            The crank-up tower made it easy to try different heights. I didn't see any
            improvement above 40 ft. or any degradation either. I would use the 5' mast if
            it were me.
            They say "if you can see rust on your mast ... that your antenna isn't high enough".
            I guess that it doesn't apply with a HexBeam.
            I'm not sure which units Dbi or DBd (I am at work and on't have my handbook with
            me).
            I any case 6 of them = 1 S unit. The gain is about the same as a 2 elememt
            mono-bander.

            Dave N1IX