source of fibre glass whips

  • m0clz
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi

      I have been having trouble sourcing fibre glass whips but have found
      4 metre fibre glass whips at http://www.bigjohnsangling.co.uk/ they
      are £5.49 each under the accessories section.

      On the centre pole has anyone tried copper strips with bolts braised to
      them running along the inside as I don't want to run ribbon cable down
      the outside ?. Or are there any other ideas for feeding internally ?

      Have Fun all

      Regards de Dick m0clz

      ---
    • ei7ba2002
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "m0clz" <m0clz1@b...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have been having trouble sourcing fibre glass whips but have
        found
        > 4 metre fibre glass whips at http://www.bigjohnsangling.co.uk/ they
        > are £5.49 each under the accessories section.

        Subject: [hex-beam] source of fibre glass whips

        Thanks Dick... That's VERY usefull info..
        73
        John EI7BA http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/
      • Gomes
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2003
          Thanks Dick

          73 Gomes CT1HIX

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2003
            Having built a five-band hex using spreaders made of bamboo garden
            stakes strapped together with hoseclamps, I am ready to tackle one of
            DF4SA's "Spider Beam" antennas.

            Descriptions of that antenna are on Con's site:
            http://www.qsl.net/df4sa/index_spider.htm

            This one really does demand fiberglass spreaders. I found an
            inexpensive source at the Cabelas.com online shop.

            http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-
            item.jhtml?
            id=0011698115799a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat20238&podId=001
            1698&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20238&parentType=index&rid=

            I ordered four of the Classic Crappie Pole 16.5-foot telescoping
            poles, cost: US$9.99 each. They showed up five days later by UPS.
            Total cost for four, including shipping and border duties was a shade
            over $90 Canadian, or about US$55.

            If the link above doesn't work in your browser, just go to
            http://www.cabelas.com and click "Fishing Rods" then "Crappie
            Rods".... Look for "Cabela's Crappie System and Rods"

            Nope, I have no stake in Cabelas, but I remember how frustrating it
            was to have no local source of good spreader poles for my hex
            project, and how expensive other online options seemed to be. I hope
            this info will help some other homebrewer build a better hex than the
            one I clamped together. I love my homebrewed hex, but those bamboo
            spreaders are looking mighty shakey after a rough winter in the air.

            Will let the group know how the Spider Beam project goes. It's a
            relative monster with a 33-foot boom, and full-sized interlaced wire
            yagis. If I play my cards right, I might even have the new antenna up
            for the last part of this weekend's JA International CW contest :)

            If the spider beam doesn't perform, I will rebuild my trusty hex
            using the more durable fiberglass spreaders.

            73,

            Bud, VE7ASK

            --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "m0clz" <m0clz1@b...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I have been having trouble sourcing fibre glass whips but have
            found
            > 4 metre fibre glass whips at http://www.bigjohnsangling.co.uk/ they
            > are £5.49 each under the accessories section.
            >
            > On the centre pole has anyone tried copper strips with bolts
            braised to
            > them running along the inside as I don't want to run ribbon cable
            down
            > the outside ?. Or are there any other ideas for feeding
            internally ?

            > Have Fun all
            >
            > Regards de Dick m0clz

          • ve3cwo
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20, 2003
              Yes, I have tried that. I used copper plumbers coil, which has
              punched holes about every 3/4 inch or so. I soldered brass bolts
              through selected holes, and easily threaeded them through a two
              inch OD plastic pipe. I also ran a third strip down the
              interior "back" of the pipe and tied all the reflectors together.
              A ten foor length of that coil is more than plenty to make the three
              strips that I used.
              Good luck - Doug - VE3CWO