Re: Need Hexbeam Plans

  • n4kc@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hardly scientific evidence but here is an example of how the hex works. Yesterday I was working 40 meters on my G5RV. I flipped up to 20 and heard a VK with a decent signal so I quickly tuned up and gave him a call. He could not hear me through his noise. Then I realized I was still on the G5RV--not a bad antenna, by the way--so I flipped to the hex, aimed it long path, and had a nice 45-minute chat with the Australian station.

      The thing is NOT a 3- or 4-element Yagi. No, it is not. But it is one fine small-footprint directional antenna. (PS: I homebrewed my first hexbeam from Leo's plans. Worked great. Some of the hardware I chose failed so when I put up another one, I opted for K4KIO's version. It has been up for two years and works flawlessly. Wish I could say the same for the 9913 coax I originally used!)

      73,

      Don N4KC
      www.n4kc.com
      www.donkeith.com
      (Author of the new book RIDING THE SHORTWAVES:
      EXPLORING THE MAGIC OF AMATEUR RADIO)

      --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "L.B. Little" <mech5@...> wrote:

      > I followed Leo's plans and built my own Hexbeam. It is up about 70 ft.and I have been getting nothing but glowing reports from all stations. When I run it with my Henry 2KD-5 amp, I am usually the first one the DX responds to. From me also, thanks Leo.

    • ae7kb
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
        The thing is NOT a 3- or 4-element Yagi. No, it is not. But it is one fine small-footprint directional antenna.
        Don N4KC

        True enough. All things considered though, it might be the best overall deal in directional antennas.

        Bill AE7KB