What is the most light weight rotor I can get for the HexBeam?

  • dw_ygrps
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi all,
      I have a used 40 foot tower that I've recently got up.
      The tower is one of those really light-duty ones with 1/2 inch steel vertical members and 1/4 inch steel cris-cros members.
      Its about 10 inches wide.

      I'm hoping to put a Hex-beam on it.

      I started using it with a rotating (crapi-pole) dipole for 17 meters just to see how it would play. I then installed an old radio shack TV rotor. I noticed the weight of the rotor made the tower much more wobbly on the way up to its pre-guyed standing point.

      I'm wondering how its going to hold up with that rotor and the hex beam.
      I'm guessing there isn't any such thing as a rotor that is more light weight than the radio-shack TV rotors?

      Any comments?
      Thanks
      N1BBR
    • K7Max
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
        Hi Duane, I am using a Channel Master 9521A TV rotator for my Hex Beam. It
        has been running for about 8 years now with no problems. Product view:
        http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV_Antenna_Rotator_p/cm-9521a.htm.

        Photos of my Traffie 5 Band Hex and rotator can be seen on www.qrz.com and
        search k7max. Other photos of Rotator at OctoBeam album at
        http://www.maxsphotos.com/
        73's
        Max
        K7Max

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
          A good option might be to mount the rotor at the base of the tower, with the mast running down from a thrust bearing at the top. That would reduce the weight at the top and allow the mast to help support the load.

          -Les W6VN

          On Sep 1, 2012, at 7:03 PM, "dw_ygrps" <bw_dw@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          > I have a used 40 foot tower that I've recently got up.
          > The tower is one of those really light-duty ones with 1/2 inch steel vertical members and 1/4 inch steel cris-cros members.
          > Its about 10 inches wide.
          >
          > I'm hoping to put a Hex-beam on it.
          >
          > I started using it with a rotating (crapi-pole) dipole for 17 meters just to see how it would play. I then installed an old radio shack TV rotor. I noticed the weight of the rotor made the tower much more wobbly on the way up to its pre-guyed standing point.
          >
          > I'm wondering how its going to hold up with that rotor and the hex beam.
          > I'm guessing there isn't any such thing as a rotor that is more light weight than the radio-shack TV rotors?
          >
          > Any comments?
          > Thanks
          > N1BBR

        • dw_ygrps
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2012
            This is an interesting idea.
            What material would you use for the vertical turning section?
            Perhaps 1" aluminum sections?
            I could probably weld a base in the center for the rotor to sit on inside the tower. There may just barely be enough room for that.
            But that would reduce the top weight.

            BTW: Do they make a small rotor that has an internal POT that can provide position feedback?

            I'm thinking of programming a PIC to replace the noisy Radio Shack motorized control box.

            Thanks!
            Duane

            --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Les Niles <les@...> wrote:

            > A good option might be to mount the rotor at the base of the tower, with the mast running down from a thrust bearing at the top. That would reduce the weight at the top and allow the mast to help support the load.
            >
            > -Les W6VN
            >

            > On Sep 1, 2012, at 7:03 PM, "dw_ygrps" <bw_dw@...> wrote:
            > > Hi all,
            > > I have a used 40 foot tower that I've recently got up.
            > > The tower is one of those really light-duty ones with 1/2 inch steel vertical members and 1/4 inch steel cris-cros members.
            > > Its about 10 inches wide.
            > >
            > > I'm hoping to put a Hex-beam on it.
            > >
            > > I started using it with a rotating (crapi-pole) dipole for 17 meters just to see how it would play. I then installed an old radio shack TV rotor. I noticed the weight of the rotor made the tower much more wobbly on the way up to its pre-guyed standing point.
            > >
            > > I'm wondering how its going to hold up with that rotor and the hex beam.
            > > I'm guessing there isn't any such thing as a rotor that is more light weight than the radio-shack TV rotors?
            > >
            > > Any comments?
            > > Thanks
            > > N1BBR

          • David Kjellquist
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2012
              There is a modification to the common Radio Shack-type rotator to add
              the positional POT in the ARRL Satellite Handbook.

              On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 02:34 +0000, dw_ygrps wrote:

              > This is an interesting idea.
              > What material would you use for the vertical turning section?
              > Perhaps 1" aluminum sections?
              > I could probably weld a base in the center for the rotor to sit on
              > inside the tower. There may just barely be enough room for that.
              > But that would reduce the top weight.
              >
              > BTW: Do they make a small rotor that has an internal POT that can
              > provide position feedback?
              >
              > I'm thinking of programming a PIC to replace the noisy Radio Shack
              > motorized control box.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Duane
              >
              > --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Les Niles <les@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > A good option might be to mount the rotor at the base of the tower,
              > with the mast running down from a thrust bearing at the top. That
              > would reduce the weight at the top and allow the mast to help support
              > the load.
              > >
              > > -Les W6VN
              > >

              > > On Sep 1, 2012, at 7:03 PM, "dw_ygrps" <bw_dw@...> wrote:
              > > > Hi all,
              > > > I have a used 40 foot tower that I've recently got up.
              > > > The tower is one of those really light-duty ones with 1/2 inch
              > steel vertical members and 1/4 inch steel cris-cros members.
              > > > Its about 10 inches wide.
              > > >
              > > > I'm hoping to put a Hex-beam on it.
              > > >
              > > > I started using it with a rotating (crapi-pole) dipole for 17
              > meters just to see how it would play. I then installed an old radio
              > shack TV rotor. I noticed the weight of the rotor made the tower much
              > more wobbly on the way up to its pre-guyed standing point.
              > > >
              > > > I'm wondering how its going to hold up with that rotor and the hex
              > beam.
              > > > I'm guessing there isn't any such thing as a rotor that is more
              > light weight than the radio-shack TV rotors?
              > > >
              > > > Any comments?
              > > > Thanks
              > > > N1BBR

            • Les Niles
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2012
                The long mast needs to support the torque to turn the antenna and some
                weight vertically, but won't have much bending force on it except for
                the part above the thrust bearing at the top. It should be stiff enough
                to not be very springy in turning, and the joints between sections need
                to be rock-solid. Heavy-walled aluminum should work fine, as would the
                Rohn telescoping masts that a lot of folks use for hex beams.

                -Les W6VN