G-450A, G-050 thrust bearing and off center rotation

  • David
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2012
      What is the experience of people using a G-450A, G-050 thrust bearing and a Rohn 34 ft mast.

      I am starting to assemble these on a standard bottom mount to rotate the mast, similar to Leo's approach.. I'm concerned about the Yaesu comments about off-center rotation for masts >51mm. The Rohn is about 57mm.

      Question seems to be is there enough play between the rotator on the bottom section and the thrust bearing mounted near the bottom of the second section?

      Comments from experience very welcome.

      Dave WB5NHL
    • Jim Chaggaris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2012
        After having a HB with a Rohn 50' mast and a 800DXA rotor mounted at the bottom for the last 5 years, I still think adding a TB is not worth it. There just isn't enough weight or downward force from the guys to worry about using/needing one. Just my .02.

        Best Regards,
        Jim N9WW

        Jim Chaggaris
        President
        PowerOne Corp./PowerOne Environmental
        2325 Dean Street
        Suite 200
        St. Charles, IL 60175
        Phn: 630.443.6500
        Fax: 630.443.6505
        Cell: 630.669.2241

        Sent from my iPad2

        On May 30, 2012, at 8:00 PM, "David" <dave@...> wrote:

        > What is the experience of people using a G-450A, G-050 thrust bearing and a Rohn 34 ft mast.
        >
        > I am starting to assemble these on a standard bottom mount to rotate the mast, similar to Leo's approach.. I'm concerned about the Yaesu comments about off-center rotation for masts >51mm. The Rohn is about 57mm.
        >
        > Question seems to be is there enough play between the rotator on the bottom section and the thrust bearing mounted near the bottom of the second section?
        >
        > Comments from experience very welcome.
        >
        > Dave WB5NHL

      • thepoolman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
          I just ordered the K4KIO Hexbeam, and it arrived yesterday. I also had to purchase a new rotor and went ahead and ordered the thrust bearing at the same time. I am going to use the same mounting procedure that K4KIO used for his. I debated on the thrust bearing, then figured it sure couldn't hurt anything. With any luck at all I should have this new Hexbeam up in the air and talking by next weekend.

          --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Jim Chaggaris <jimc@...> wrote:

          > After having a HB with a Rohn 50' mast and a 800DXA rotor mounted at the bottom for the last 5 years, I still think adding a TB is not worth it. There just isn't enough weight or downward force from the guys to worry about using/needing one. Just my .02.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Jim N9WW
          >
          > Jim Chaggaris
          > President
          > PowerOne Corp./PowerOne Environmental
          > 2325 Dean Street
          > Suite 200
          > St. Charles, IL 60175
          > Phn: 630.443.6500
          > Fax: 630.443.6505
          > Cell: 630.669.2241
          >
          > Sent from my iPad2
          >

          > On May 30, 2012, at 8:00 PM, "David" <dave@...> wrote:
          >
          > > What is the experience of people using a G-450A, G-050 thrust bearing and a Rohn 34 ft mast.
          > >
          > > I am starting to assemble these on a standard bottom mount to rotate the mast, similar to Leo's approach.. I'm concerned about the Yaesu comments about off-center rotation for masts >51mm. The Rohn is about 57mm.
          > >
          > > Question seems to be is there enough play between the rotator on the bottom section and the thrust bearing mounted near the bottom of the second section?
          > >
          > > Comments from experience very welcome.
          > >
          > > Dave WB5NHL

        • thepoolman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2012
            I have that exact setup with a 40' Channel Master Pushup mast and had no problems at all. I followed the pictures on Leo's website and built my own mounts for the rotor and the thrust bearing. I securely fastened the bottom mount for the rotor but left the upper mount with the thrust bearing mounted loosely until I set the mast in the rotor. I then measured the distance from the 4 x 4 to the outside of the mast as close as possible to the top of the rotor. I adjusted the upper mount with the thrust bearing to exactly the same measurement and secured the mount. No off center rotation problem at all. You do need an extra pair of hands to help hold everything in place until you securely mount the thrust bearing bracket.

            --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dave@...> wrote:

            > What is the experience of people using a G-450A, G-050 thrust bearing and a Rohn 34 ft mast.
            >
            > I am starting to assemble these on a standard bottom mount to rotate the mast, similar to Leo's approach.. I'm concerned about the Yaesu comments about off-center rotation for masts >51mm. The Rohn is about 57mm.
            >
            > Question seems to be is there enough play between the rotator on the bottom section and the thrust bearing mounted near the bottom of the second section?
            >
            > Comments from experience very welcome.
            >
            > Dave WB5NHL

          • David
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2012

              The KIO hex beam has been up several days and everything went fine. The beam is approximately 30ft high. The off center rotation of the mast and G450A has not been a problem. The thrust bearing is mounted approximately 7 ft above the G450A and is taking the weight of the mast and antenna.

              One of the first QSO's was on 20m PSK with DS5!! The hex is living up to its reputation.

              Dave, WB5NHL
            • David Rehm
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2012
                My KIO hex beam went up last week and the FIRST contact, PSK31 on 20 meters, was Buenos Aires, Argentina with a 59+ signal. I am 35 feet up in the air on a rotatable mast.
                I love this thing.

                73,
                Dave, W5KKC