Spreader length for small monobander

  • Stephan Greene
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
      New to the group, I am thinking of building a small model for 10 or 6M
      to get my feet wet. I'm looking at using driveway markers (I've seen
      the W3BEL design for 6M), bicycle flag poles (I can get those in 5-6ft
      length), or possibly 48" chimney sweep poles I saw in a local big-box
      home improvement store (they have threaded ends to extend them and are
      reasonably stiff). I've been reading design info in the files section
      and searching the list archive - haven't seen a discussion on spreader
      length as a function of lowest operating frequency.

      For a broadband (M-W) design, is the spreader length a few inches (or
      cm) more than 1/2 the driven element length? Looking at diagrams of
      hex beams, it appears about 1/2 of each driven element wire runs out
      the spreader, then the balance bends back towards the reflector. The
      spreader needs to be a bit longer if an upward bow is required.

      Is there a simple (or not so simple) formula, or should I sketch out
      the geometry and see how much high school trig I remember? Pointers
      to appropriate files, websites, threads on this list if this topic has
      been answered and I simply missed it.

      73
      Steve
      KS1G
    • na4rr@juno.com

        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2012
          Can you help me?  I want to build a hex beam and I need the plans and where to get the materials.  Will you help me?
          Bill K4ADY

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2012
            Try http://www.leoshoemaker.com/hexbeambyk4kio/broadhexparts.html lots of ideas.
            If you order the spreaders from www.mgs4u.com you get the center post material also. They have parts and/or kits.
            I am also just starting mine, about all I got done was to cut out the base plate and scrounge up some P clamps for the tips.

            Rich , Kd0zz

            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2012
              Roger,
              Where is the information on the $325.00 5band antenna you mentioned?

              73,

              Mike NT5DX

              On Saturday, May 5, 2012, na4rr@... wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Bill, I'd be glade to help you. Everything you would ever want to know
              > can be found herehttp://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/ You can buy the
              > parts to make one for about $300. The spreaders cost $119. You just about
              > have to buy those. The base plate and center post you can make. I've been
              > building them for about 8 months now. I can sell you a base plate for $50
              > and a centerpost for $75 if you don't want to build them yourself. I've
              > been selling the the entire antenna with 5 bands for $325. Let me know what
              > you might want to do and I'll be glade to help. It is a fanfistaic antenna
              > and works very well from 20 to 40ft in the air. Roger Rockwellna4rrps I
              > have some pictures on qrz K4HEX

            • James Cope
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2012
                I built mine for just under $315. But, I had some of the parts already. I
                added the 6m band also. Works very good. Here is the step-by-step
                instructions...
                http://www.leoshoemaker.com/hexbeambyk4kio/broadhexbuildingnew.html

                73,
                James
                AI5Z

                > Where is the information on the $325.00 5band antenna you mentioned?
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Mike NT5DX
                >
                > On Saturday, May 5, 2012, na4rr@... wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> Hi Bill, I'd be glade to help you. Everything you would ever want to know
                >> can be found herehttp://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/ You can buy the
                >> parts to make one for about $300. The spreaders cost $119. You just about
                >> have to buy those. The base plate and center post you can make. I've been
                >> building them for about 8 months now. I can sell you a base plate for $50
                >> and a centerpost for $75 if you don't want to build them yourself. I've
                >> been selling the the entire antenna with 5 bands for $325. Let me know
                >> what
                >> you might want to do and I'll be glade to help. It is a fanfistaic
                >> antenna
                >> and works very well from 20 to 40ft in the air. Roger Rockwellna4rrps I
                >> have some pictures on qrz K4HEX

              • paul.merkx
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2012
                  Steve,
                  I used crappy fishing poles from "Game on Fishing" as spreaders for my 15m band monobander. They are 3m long but the top part is rather thin and might not be suitable for 20m band hexbeams. I have a video on the construction and first QSO (12000km dx) proving that is does work!
                  Search for PA3DSB and Hexbeam on youtube.

                  Good luck,
                  Paul PA3DSB