Re: [hex-beam] still a wonder how this antenna works

  • Don Keith
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2011
      Joel, I was a couple of the contacts among that impressive total...hex-to-hex...including 10M.  Thanks!

      73,

      Don N4KC
      www.n4kc.com
      www.donkeith.com

    • Ant David
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi all,

        Well done lads

        Here is what I managed on my hex at 12m above ground

        Call GW4OH
        single op single band 10m
        22 hours
        1774 q's
        40 zones
        136 DXCC
        758,735 points

        LOADS of west coast, where were you Lou I was expecting you to call in lol

        73's Ant MWØJZE

        The ONLY UK Manufacturer Of The G3TXQ Broadband Hexbeam!

        www.g3txq-hexbeam.com

        Seach my log on line
        http://www.clublog.org/logsearch.php?log=MW0JZE&iframe=1
        Eat, Sleep, Dream the ultimate DX Holiday!

        Zimbra Blog: VMware Zimbra Collaboration Server 7.1 is Released http://bit.ly/hXVIlw

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 1, 2011
          Thanks Don,

          Looking forward to work you on the other band the condition of the is amazing this Saturday I will be operating on 10m band hope more hex user on 10m band

          Sent from my iPhone
          Joel Guisihan
          Solcom Service & Support Tech.
          Marianas Electronics & Solcom
          1088 Army Dr., RK Plaza Suite 5
          Barrigada, Guam 96913
          Tel: (671) 632-5310 Fax: (671) 637-4230

          On Nov 2, 2011, at 12:27 AM, Don Keith <n4kc@...> wrote:

          > Joel, I was a couple of the contacts among that impressive total...hex-to-hex...including 10M. Thanks!
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Don N4KC
          > www.n4kc.com
          > www.donkeith.com

        • Philippe ON4VP
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 1, 2011
            Great job Ant. I just joined this group and sent you an email with few
            questions.
            I can't wait to put the beam up next spring.

            73 Phil ON4VP

            2011/11/1 Ant David <laptop@...>

            > **
            >

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Well done lads
            >
            > Here is what I managed on my hex at 12m above ground
            >
            > Call GW4OH
            > single op single band 10m
            > 22 hours
            > 1774 q's
            > 40 zones
            > 136 DXCC
            > 758,735 points
            >
            > LOADS of west coast, where were you Lou I was expecting you to call in lol
            >
            > 73's Ant MWØJZE
            >
            > The ONLY UK Manufacturer Of The G3TXQ Broadband Hexbeam!
            >
            > www.g3txq-hexbeam.com

          • Lou Campbell
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
              was looking for you...but was 10 meters only....that put a damper on me getting to you...did work several GW0's though...

              will look for you when I get home next month

              ED NX7TT
              Idaho Falls, Id

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                Joel,
                  worked several from you part of the world...my old DX buddy KG6DX was one of them....he got me into contesting when I was on KH2..
                have been hooked ever since...HI HI..

                   good to hear you guys...

                ED NX7TT
                Idaho Falls, Id

                ________________________________
                Looking forward to work you on the other band the condition of the is amazing this Saturday I will be operating on 10m band hope more hex user on 10m band

                Sent from my iPhone
                Joel Guisihan
                Solcom Service & Support Tech.
                Marianas Electronics & Solcom
                1088 Army Dr., RK Plaza Suite 5
                Barrigada, Guam 96913
                Tel: (671) 632-5310 Fax: (671) 637-4230

                On Nov 2, 2011, at 12:27 AM, Don Keith <n4kc@...> wrote:

                > Joel, I was a couple of the contacts among that impressive total...hex-to-hex...including 10M. Thanks!
                >
                > 73,
                >
                > Don N4KC
                > www.n4kc.com
                > www.donkeith.com

              • Joel Guisihan
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                  Ed,

                  I was on 10m band Sunday morning but have to sign off  around 7:30 am. I have to work on the company solar display @ the Agana Shopping center. I lost 8 hours of operation that day. but anyways  still got lot of station around the world.

                  Joel

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                    I heard you...but the pile up was so big that after 20 minutes I gave up thinking I catch you on Sunday...but I did get a few of the others..
                    I knew if you heard the call you catch me but it was not to happen...
                       applied for a job on KH9...maybe get lucky to get out there for a year or so..
                      as always my best to you guys over there..

                    ED NX7TT
                    Idaho Falls, Id

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                      I created two big pileups of Europeans last night, one on 17 and one on 15 from a Hex at only 10ft above ground and not completed yet. Not bad for the oposite side of the world and a string of 5 and 9 reports. One of them was 10W and a dipole.

                      But then that is a product of dx cluster, not the aerial as such.

                      When I asked for only low power stations last week I had a pileup of QRP stations.

                      Must admit the HEX works well.

                      Ken
                      ZL3OZ

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                        Wow is right!! yes this antenna does work. I installed my new KIO Hex Friday. Worked the contest over the weekend and i heard signals never heard before. Worked the Congo beaming east and Australia beaming west. Added many new countries to the log. All this at it's temporary height of 20 feet. Thanks Leo for a super antenna..

                        73
                        ---Bob ka9bhd

                        --- In hex-beam@yahoogroups.com, Lou Campbell <nx7tt@...> wrote:

                        > Well the CQWW SSB is over....with over 330 q's...100 countries....31 zones and 18 hours of operation from Idaho..all on 10 meters...
                        > and the antenna stuck in the 90' position..or due east...I was able to work these numbers this past weekend..
                        >    and worked many other hex users...
                        > all I can say is WOW..
                        >   still do not know why the antenna would not rotate but will worry about that we I get back to Idaho...I hope no snow on the ground then...
                        >   hope everyone had a chance to geet on this past weekend and work some great DX...bands were great...
                        >   BV5, 3D2, AH2,AH0,ZS6,V55,5R8,9Q5,BY4,VK4,3XY,6V,CN,HS,YB,9M8,9M2, UA0,TF, JUST to name a few...
                        >   73
                        >
                        > ED NX7TT
                        > Idaho Falls, Id

                      • Joel
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 2, 2011
                          Just check on the dx cluster with my call WH2X I just don't have the idea how long they keep the record dx summit. Using the HX5BI

                          On Nov 3, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Kenwood User <kenwooduser@...> wrote:

                          > Just curious and just had to ask. How many of you can create your own pileups with your hex?

                        • Ant David

                            Just check on the dx cluster with my call WH2X I just don't have the idea how long they keep the record dx summit. Using the HX5BI

                            Sent from my iPhone
                            Joel Guisihan
                            Solcom Service & Support Tech.
                            Marianas Electronics & Solcom
                            1088 Army Dr., RK Plaza Suite 5
                            Barrigada, Guam 96913
                            Tel: (671) 632-5310 Fax: (671) 637-4230

                            On Nov 3, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Kenwood User < kenwooduser@... > wrote:

                            > Just curious and just had to ask. How many of you can create your own pileups with your hex?

                          • KeithH
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                              A few months ago I had a nice west to eat coast pileup on 10m with my K4KIO six band hex beam. This was before 10m blew up with all the recent Global activity. Some folks from the new England area told me I was a loudest signal on the band. That was super cool and to me validated the antenna in my mind. I do run it with 700 W with my quadra so that might help a little too.

                              I have had no issues garnering rare DX on it either. During this last contest I was able to score on phone Bhutan on 15m and several other rarer type entities like Maldives while some folks I know here locally struggled with making contacts with their a3s or kt34s. I do have a significant terrain advantage to the north getting me extra gain so combined with that for me the Hex beam works great.

                              Keith
                              AG6AZ

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                Anytime I see someone in my general area spot a station that I can't hear well enough to work or can't make hear me, I check his or her QRZ page to see if I can determine his station setup.  Inevitably it's lots of antenna much higher in the sky and more power than I have.  Sure, that's common sense.

                                Great as the hex is, it is still not a 5-element monobander, any more than my 500 watts is 1.5KW.  Still, for an upside-down umbrella at 45 feet...:-)

                                Don N4KC
                                www.n4kc.com
                                www.donkeith.com

                              • Lou Campbell
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                  Don,
                                     I too check it...but also notice that a 7 from AZ or OR or WA will hear different from me or a sstation from WY or MT...
                                  usually if W7MAD or K7KNT or W7LED hears things then I usaully hear them as well..
                                    But also noticed that if a station is on from Pocatello, 50 miles to the south, can work someone and I may not hear them and they are only 50 miles away...
                                  during the Idaho QSO party K0IP was on the same band and again only 50 miles south of me...but he was working stations I could not hear or hear well..
                                    So many times LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION... comes into play...
                                       And yet many times I get that I am the loudest thing from the west coast that they are hearing...

                                      GUD DX

                                  ED NX7TT
                                  Idaho Falls, Id

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                    Don,

                                    You have hit the nail right on the head!

                                    But just for the record, you cant hear any better with a bigger amp LOL!!

                                    For me it is the RX of the Hex, nice low noise levels means I can often hear the DX while most of EU is blind calling.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                      >>But just for the record, you cant hear any better with a bigger amp LOL!!

                                      You're right, of course, Ant.  And I can't tell you how many times the hex allows me to hear DX before others in the area apparently do and I am able to get the contact.  Then, 10 minutes later, the DX station is much stronger and everyone is grabbing him.

                                      I also have a Kenwood TS-590, and the receiver in that radio is so good it allows me to hear stations I have no hope of working with 100 watts.  That's when I flip the "Standby" switch on the amp and take a crack...usually successfully.

                                      I've complained before to Steve and Leo that all you guys are taking much of the challenge out of DXing!  :-)  Believe me, I'm only kidding...

                                      73,

                                      Don N4KC
                                      www.n4kc.com
                                      www.donkeith.com
                                      (Don's new book, UNDERSEA WARRIOR, now available
                                      wherever books are sold)

                                    • Don Keith
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                        >>And yet many times I get that I am the loudest thing from the west coast that they are hearing...

                                        Actually, Ed, I heard a DX station telling you just that the other day!  You are right about location.  There are so many factors that affect that little bit of juice trying to make its way around the world...topography being just one of them.

                                        I live only a few hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico, yet those guys can work stuff I can't even hear.  I suspect I'm a little bit better over the North Pole than a similarly equipped station down there, though.

                                        73, and keep logging that great DX!

                                        Don N4KC
                                        www.n4kc.com
                                        www.donkeith.com
                                        (Don's new book, UNDERSEA WARRIOR, is now
                                        available wherever books are sold)

                                      • Jim Chaggaris
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 3, 2011
                                          "I live only a few hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico, yet those guys can
                                          work stuff I can't even hear."

                                          Hi Don,

                                          Try living in the "black hole" if you want a challenge working DX. J

                                          73,

                                          Jim N9WW

                                          James Chaggaris

                                          President

                                          PowerOne Corp./PowerOne Environmental

                                          1020 Cedar Ave. Suite 203

                                          St. Charles, IL 60174

                                          Phn: 630-443-6500

                                          Cell: 630-669-2241

                                          Fax: 630-443-6505

                                          Website: www.pwrone.com

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 4, 2011
                                            Jim,
                                               I thought Idaho was the blackhole...as it seems I hear the guys in Ill. always working the stations I can not hear...;)

                                            ED NX7TT
                                            Idaho Falls, Id

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 4, 2011
                                              Hi Ed,

                                              It was great to meet you at W9DXCC.

                                              I think Idaho has it's own propagation issue similar to the "black hole" :-). Let's face it, if you're not on the left coast, right coast or Southern/SE US (closer to the equator), your are at a disadvantage as far as propagation is concerned.
                                              73,

                                              Jim N9WW

                                              James Chaggaris
                                              PowerOne Corp./PowerOne Environmental
                                              1020 Cedar Avenue
                                              Suite 203
                                              St. Charles, IL 60174
                                              Phn: (630) 443-6500
                                              Fax: (630) 443-6505

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 4, 2011
                                                Hi there,
                                                  was good to see you ther also...I agree...even tho many put us in Idaho on the west coast we are more inland than the W6's and most of the 7's...but yet we compete HI HI..
                                                  Those on Wash or Ore coast always have use beat here but we push thru... especially to VU extra...again location location location..LOL

                                                   hope to see you again..

                                                ED NX7TT
                                                Idaho Falls, Id

                                                ________________________________

                                                >>And yet many times I get that I am the loudest thing from the west coast
                                                that they are hearing...

                                                Actually, Ed, I heard a DX station telling you just that the other day! You
                                                are right about location. There are so many factors that affect that little
                                                bit of juice trying to make its way around the world...topography being just
                                                one of them.

                                                I live only a few hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico, yet those guys can
                                                work stuff I can't even hear. I suspect I'm a little bit better over the
                                                North Pole than a similarly equipped station down there, though.

                                                73, and keep logging that great DX!

                                                Don N4KC
                                                www.n4kc.com
                                                www.donkeith.com
                                                (Don's new book, UNDERSEA WARRIOR, is now
                                                available wherever books are sold)

                                              • ON4CIT
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 4, 2011
                                                  Hello,

                                                  I am currently on a dxpedition creating big pile ups every day.
                                                  I've made +- 6800 qso's in 7 days, rtty and ssb on 20/17/15/12/10/6 meter band.

                                                  See my PJ4J website with photo's of my hex beam :
                                                  http://www.dxpedition.be/pj4j-photos.html

                                                  i use an expert 1K-FA linair amplifier

                                                  Bet regards
                                                  PJ4J