Re: [hex-beam] Tensioning and adjustment question

  • Charles R Tropp
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi Jim!

      Good luck on your new KIO HB. I installed mine on a 9' HD Glen Martin
      roof tower at the end of July and I love it. (It even survived Irene)

      It sounds like you are at instruction 5G. At this point you need to look
      at the support cords (not the wires) to see if they are taut. If they
      are loose, you will need to do some adjustments until they become taut
      again. Usually it's only the 20M and 15M wires that need adjusting.
      Start with the 20M wire and just walk around the beam from spreader to
      spreader with an appropriately sized socket wrench and loosen each of
      clamps and move it down (no more than 1/4" at a time) and re-tighten. If
      your support cords become nice and taut, then you're done. If not go
      around once again with the 15M wires until they are. You might have to
      do this several times alternating from the 20M to the 15M wires. Then
      take a look at all the wires. It's better for them to be loose rather
      than tight. Go ahead and adjust them, following the same procedure
      making sure that you keep the support cords taut. You might need to
      adjust the wires by pulling on the wires through the clamps as well to
      make sure that each wire as the same amount of tautness or looseness all
      the way around the beam. I am not sure what you mean when you ask "Do
      all the wires need to be exactly the same distance from the centerpost?"
      If you have connected all the wires to the centerpost they are by
      definition the same distance from the centerpost. If you mean that you
      only need to adjust the 1 & 6 clamps, that's not true. You need to
      adjust all the clamps for a particular wire an equal distance up or down
      so that all the wire has the same amount of tension all around the beam.
      Also make sure that all the spreaders have maintained their alignment
      (i.e. Do you still have a hexagonal shape to the beam?) I hope this has
      answered your questions. If not, do not hesitate to respond with further
      inquiry.

      73, de N2SO, Charles, Staten Island, NY.

      On 8/31/2011 10:58 PM, Jim Miller wrote:

      > Got all my wires on my K4KIO HB today and followed the instructions to
      > loosen clamps on 1 & 6 spreaders to provide sufficient slack to attach
      > wires
      > to centerpost.
      >
      > So now I'm left with retightening while allowing a little slack per
      > instructions.
      >
      > My question: do all the wires need to be exactly the same distance
      > from the
      > centerpost? If so I'd need to adjust each wire on each spreader.
      >
      > OTOH, only 1 and 6 hold the DE while the remainder hold the reflector. It
      > would seem to me that getting 1 & 6 equalized might be suffficient.
      >
      > What has eeryone else done?
      >
      > Jim ab3cv

    • Jim Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Top tensioning cords are still taut as they should be. The June 2011
        instructions suggest loosening the 1 and 6 clamps to produce sufficient
        slack to be able to attach wires to the center posts. I'm not finding enough
        slack to move these back to their original positions without adjusting the
        other points hence my question.

        Sounds like I'll need to tweak them all.

        Thanks

        Jim

      • Charles R Tropp
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
          Yes, absolutely! Adjust the clamps on all the spreaders not just 1 & 6.

          73, N2SO, Charles