RE: [hex-beam] Hex on Tower

  • Peter Risdahl
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2011
      Hi Mike:
      Re rotator near tower bottom:
      Many of us have done this in Calgary using self supporting towers to take the torque load off the top section. I had this setup using 1-1/2 inch steel tubing inside the tower and 3 copper bushed triangular "spiders" (made from ready rod and 2in pipe) and a 6 ft top mast with thrust bearing on a 53 ft tower. Just a TH3 would really twist the tubing -about 10-15 degree swing in bad winds. Nothing broke over 25 yrs. but the coupling pin holes sure got larger :(

      I would not repeat the exercise for the hexbeam as it is symmetrical and has lower mass. It is a lot of work, adds weight and wind load to the tower even more than a small rotator at the top. Not to mention the pain of putting 20 ft pipes inside the tower - or even doing multiple couplings for 10ft. pieces.

      My Delhi MD56 is similar to your BX I believe - stamped triangular 8 ft sections.

      I would not try 3/4 EMT even for a 10 ft tower (you did not say your height) as it will just twist up.
      If you want more details about my old setup, email me.
      Peter VE6KK