      From: Larry Dighera larry@... [hex-beam] <hex-beam@yahoogroups.com>;
      To: <hex-beam@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: Re: [hex-beam] painting fiberglass spreaders
      Sent: Wed, Jun 25, 2014 10:56:20 PM

      Hello Bill,

      It is my understanding that carbon (an electrical conductor) is used as the
      black pigment in paint. It would be interesting to know if black paint has any
      effect on the operation of an antenna. Just a thought.

      Best regards,
      Larry

      On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 09:04:31 -0700, "Bill McCourt - WF1L wemccourt@...
      [hex-beam]" <hex-beam@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >Hi John,

      >I purchased a used K4KIO 6 band hex and the previous owner had painted the spreaders with a flat black enamel.  I have similar needs as he did (make the antenna disappear in thin air to thwart HOA nosies) so I lightly sanded the spreaders and gave them a new coat of flat black using a couple of rattle cans from Home depot before I reassembled the antenna. I also gave the hub and center stalk a fresh coat as well.

      >My experience with flat black has been all good.  Things just blend into the background and disappear. It seems to hold up OK in the sunlight too.  Any coating will provide some UV protection.

      >Your mileage, of course, may vary,

      >Bill - WF1L

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic