14856Re: [hex-beam] Tuning the Hex Beam

  • Ameer Khan
    Jun 23, 2014

      Dear OM John,

      I am interested to know more about insulated connector designed by you, which will ease the tuning of the wires.
      Please provide the details..

      73
      VU3SQM
      Ameer khan

      On 23-Jun-14 10:06 AM, John Weisinger ysingers@... [hex-beam] wrote:

       Ron,
      I noticed your question about tuning your hex beams.  I have built three and tuned all three to very low swr.  My opinion is that many don't take the time to tune their antennas because their new transceiver tuners will make it look like a good match.  I am an old timer and want my antenna to be resonate on the frequency I use and when you tune the hex to the freq. you use it will have a very low swr.  Mine are all about 1.1 to 1.  Most of the Hex beams have directors that are resonant below the ham band and therefore give higher than 1.5 to 1 SWR.  If you use the analyzer to help you  you will find it quite easy to get the antenna right where you want it.

      I designed an insulated connector between the rope and the wire that makes tuning very easy.  You just loosen the set screw, pull the wire out, cut it, then put it back in the connector and tighten the screw.  Tuning goes fast and easy.  If you decide to tune your hex, let me know and I will share with you the process I have used each time.

      Have fun.  Leo's Hex are really great.  You will love it.

      John - W5BGP
      John Weisinger
      Weisinger's Winery
      541-621-2864 (cell)