Re: [Herpetology Central] sick painted turtle

  • Renee Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2013
      That's very good advice. Over the years I, too have taken my painted turtle, my
      2 plecostomus (fish), and my pet birds to an exotic vet doctor when they were
      very sick, and that made all the difference between my pets living or dying.
      Yes, some people may think I was crazy to spend more money on getting my pets
      well than it would have to just replace them with a new critter of the same
      species. But I consider my pets to be members of my family, and my relationship
      with them as individuals made them worth saving so I never regretted spending
      money to get them well. I live in the Dayton Ohio area, and our local exotic
      pet vet is extremely knowledgeable and he has saved the life of all different
      kinds of wildlife who had all kinds of injuries or diseases.

      Your painted turtle sounds very sick and your best chance of helping it recover
      is with the help of a trained doctor. I hope you are able to find the care you
      need to get your turtle well.

      ---frogsense

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2013
        I was curious how things went with your turtle? Was the milky silk over her entire body or just in some places? Had you recently done any water change? I ask that because once when I changed my turtles water it got a little milky and thick, like nectar. I had the local aquarium shop test a sample and they said it just needed time for the beneficial bacteria to get established. It took about a week or so, but it did clear up and she was fine. I hope it turned out as well for your turtle.

        Michele

        --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, "Efrain" <the_supernegro@...> wrote:

        > Hello to the reptile gurus, i\I have a painted turtle that got sick, she have like a milky silk over the skin and eyes and I want to save my pet. she eat and swim, but slow... I' really want to keep my pet so please help me..
        >
        > efra

      • S
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2013
          Find a vet for help here:
          http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/vet-listing.aspx

          Most sick turtles need vet care and antibiotics or other medications to live, depending on the illness. Good luck.