New and have breeding questions

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2012
      Hello I have had many reptiles from iguanans to monitors . I am getting a 6 ft green iguana and thinking about getting him a mate . Or because there so cheap ( the babies ) should I look for something else ? I run and own a aviary I breed many types of parrots . So I know what I'm doing and love genetics . I don't see any local breeders in Indiana . I look on the Internet and see only the big mail order shops for reptiles . I'm just thinking about it right now and need more information . Any good books , groups ect that I need to do this right thanks chris
    • William Reed
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2012
        there not hard to breed but babies are very cheap in the breedin business u will almost never have all profit its realy just having a passion and following it

        Hello I have had many reptiles from iguanans to monitors . I am getting a 6 ft green iguana and thinking about getting him a mate . Or because there so cheap ( the babies ) should I look for something else ? I run and own a aviary I breed many types of parrots . So I know what I'm doing and love genetics . I don't see any local breeders in Indiana . I look on the Internet and see only the big mail order shops for reptiles . I'm just thinking about it right now and need more information . Any good books , groups ect that I need to do this right thanks chris

      • Chris Mannon
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
          Thanks , yes I know iguanas are very cheap . I was thinking of something else . Any input would be great . Breeders on the internet are few and far between . I was thinking about ball pythons . Because I love genetics and breeding for different mutations would be nice . I'm still doing research now .

          Sent from my iPhone.
          Weepingwillowaviary.webs.com
          Green cheek conures , cocktatiels, Quakers , sun conures , Patagonians conure in west Lafayette Indiana
        • William Reed
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
            balls are worth good money for the right morphs do u have any ball pythons no w or do u have to start out fresh

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
              Don't get ball pythons they're so over played. Get a nice exotic snake, rainbow boas and blood pythons are great for beginners. Check out my website.

              Trace Hardin
              HardinHerp.com

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2012
                Yes I will have to start fresh . Will have a budget of 300-350 to start . Looking for a nice morph and breed to a normal female or two .I will have to see

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8, 2012
                  I am thinking to go with one of the lizards . Not geckos but like uromastyx or monitors . But still looking for a good fit . When I was younger I had reptiles

                  Sent from my iPhone.
                  Weepingwillowaviary.webs.com
                  Green cheek conures , cocktatiels, Quakers , sun conures , Patagonians conure in west Lafayette Indiana
                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                    Uromastyx are very awesome reptiles to keep. I have had 2 Mali's and 2 morracans, the babies do have to be have adult uromastyx poop on their food after hatching to help aid the immune system and has to be done early because they lose their appetite for it very fast. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

                    --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mannon <rustybus66@...> wrote:

                    > I am thinking to go with one of the lizards . Not geckos but like uromastyx or monitors . But still looking for a good fit . When I was younger I had reptiles
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone.
                    > Weepingwillowaviary.webs.com
                    > Green cheek conures , cocktatiels, Quakers , sun conures , Patagonians conure in west Lafayette Indiana

                  • Donna Paladino
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 10, 2012
                      Hello,
                      I am curious about the safety of my L.G. and letting him out to roam a bit.
                      He seems to not have depth perception!  He is not a year old yet, I got
                      him from a former teacher at my school.  I did not raise reptiles growing
                      up.  What is the general consensus on letting them out of the tank?  I
                      also made him a 12X24 plastic container space where he can experience a sandy tourane.  He
                      definitely appears more stimulated and happier when he gets these experiences.
                      At times when I let him roam on my desk I fear that he will fall off..
                      sci teach,
                      massachusetts

                      ________________________________
                      Uromastyx are very awesome reptiles to keep. I have had 2 Mali's and 2 morracans, the babies do have to be have adult uromastyx poop on their food after hatching to help aid the immune system and has to be done early because they lose their appetite for it very fast. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

                      --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, Chris Mannon <rustybus66@...> wrote:

                      > I am thinking to go with one of the lizards . Not geckos but like uromastyx or monitors . But still looking for a good fit . When I was younger I had reptiles
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone.
                      > Weepingwillowaviary.webs.com
                      > Green cheek conures , cocktatiels, Quakers , sun conures , Patagoniansconure in west Lafayette Indiana

                    • S
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 5, 2013
                        The baby iguanas are cheap because no one breeds them in cages, they are all wild caught and shipped here. There is NO selling market for captive bred iguanas with all the cheap imports. There are iguana rescues over flowing because there are too many iguanas and not enough people to care for them properly. ( http://www.triangleiguanarescue.com/ )
                        I hate that they are sold so cheap, just because they get SO large as adults. The general public can't handle adult iguana care.