New to group

  • Kari Schroeder
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 24, 2012
      Howdy!

      My son just bought two new crested geckos (male is 4 years old and
      female is 1 year). He has lots of questions and we are hoping to find
      a "mentor" in this group.

      One of the first questions is if the geckos should eat meal worms or
      not. My son has been researching raising meal worms for the geckos,
      but read recently that some people don't think its a good idea to feed
      meal worms to Cresteds.

      Thanks for any advice!

      Kari Schroeder
      Crickview Ranch
      http://crickviewranch.com/
    • e-mail newearth
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2012
        Hi Kari,
        Meal worms have very little nutritional value and the skin (chitin) is
        difficult for them to digest But given as a treat once a week will help
        vary the diet. I prefer to feed roaches and Locusts which have a higher
        nutritional value. Also feed fruit based baby food and ripe (soft) fruits
        with added calcium each feed and added vitamins once a week.

        Cheers John

        On 24 June 2012 19:13, Kari Schroeder <crickview@...> wrote:

        > Howdy!
        >
        > My son just bought two new crested geckos (male is 4 years old and
        > female is 1 year). He has lots of questions and we are hoping to find
        > a "mentor" in this group.
        >
        > One of the first questions is if the geckos should eat meal worms or
        > not. My son has been researching raising meal worms for the geckos,
        > but read recently that some people don't think its a good idea to feed
        > meal worms to Cresteds.
        >
        > Thanks for any advice!
        >
        > Kari Schroeder
        > Crickview Ranch
        > http://crickviewranch.com/

        *Cheers John*

      • Electra Starr
        Message 3 of 7 , May 27, 2013
          I'm not new to the "HERP" community I have about 20 years experience, but deffinatly new to a group ! Have had house FULL in years past but at this time I only have 1 son his name is Treznor he is a 6ft Colombian red tail boa and we LOVE him dearly OH he is 2 years old and he is in the bed with me as I type : ) the ONLY time he is in his "room" is at night when it's time to go to sleep. I was reading a reptile magazine yesterday and the question was "How often do you hold your reptile"? the majority was ONCE A WEEK 43% ?????? I can't spend ENOUGH time with my baby and I hold him at least 8-10 hours a day EVERY DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK!!! I'm curious how others are and how is the relationship and temperament of your reptile I feel like this is my child and you get out what you put in !
        • Ed
          Message 4 of 7 , May 27, 2013
            Hello we have a ball python, and a salvator (Asian water monitor) and we handle them every day in fact if i dont get Ryujin (monitor) out and let him sit in my window he lets me know it by trying to open the door to his viv
            Sent from my ASUS Pad