Leopard gecko set up and a few other questions

  • kellyrider2012
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2012
      Hey, I have a male(at least I think Mouth is a male from his bulge)Leopard Gecko who is incredibly spoilt rotten. I have him on repti-carpet, but I know there's some debate about it (trapped teeth/claws), but it is my next best option as the pet store here only sells calci-sand (refuse to use it). I want to give him a naturalistic set up, but not quite sure what to use as a substrate. Obviously coco fibre is a no no coz of it's abilitys to hold in mositure (humidy will be high, and the loose substrate thing), the same goes for bark. Tiles I am not so keen on it doesn't really look very natural to me.
      I've heard alot about clay based substrates, but is it actually any good, and building hides with it I imagine would make de-pooping/de-weeing quite tricky without demolising a few hides daily.
      Also with clay substrate how would you use it with real plants? Would those potting things be ok? I've seen them all over ebay to pot your plants.
      He is just over a year old, and has a nice big fat tail that has not been dropped and won't ( very very careful with his tail) be dropped.

      Another thing is, I want to expand my reptile collection. Idealy another little creature. But won't be aquiring one untill I have desized in the small furrys I have (from old age, quite a few are old so will be passing over the animal rainbow bridge, will be a sad day). BUT refuse to get anything till a few months they have passed on, won't replace them with something, and won't be purchasing anything untill I have aquired all the info I need about said reptile I choose to get. Ideally another lizard would be nice, not so keen on snakes ( I have a snake phobia), but lizards I can deal with. Obviously I need something that is easier to handle as I am quite new, but extremely willing to learn about the needs and requirements of the fassinating creatures.
      Any ideas on what I could get so I can start researching.???
    • Nicole
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2012
        From my experience with reptiles, I have found that beside leopard geckos, a bearded dragon is a really easy reptile to take care of. They can get around 24 inches long though, and will require a larger set up. But they are like the "dog of lizards" in their temperament. Some other lizards that I have had experience with as being relatively easy are crested geckos. Cresties can be jumpy and can require some time to get used to (and they can lose their tails too), but are overall pretty easy.
        I personally have an iguana, leopard gecko, 2 cresteds, 3 cornsnakes, and an everglades ratsnake. If you want something that will stay relatively small, a crested is what I recommend.