red foot tortoise eggs

  • Efrain
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2011
      Hello you all mega gurus of the reptiles,...I have two red foot tortoises that lay 5 eggs like 3 weeks ago, I'm following very close the development of the eggs. But I'm pretty worry because, here in Georgia is almost winter, so they are out of time, also when I check the eggs through the light, I just see water inside and a very little dark parts. I can feel the bubble moving when I turn the egg carefully.

      If anyone of you have been any experience taking care of tortoise eggs please give me some advice, I had several tortoises but never hatch one. The eggs are burried in a shallow cover of pet shop wood bedding. A little detail that make me think the eggs don't going in good shape is that I see some flyes inside the tank, so I suspect they probably going rotten... That's a important variable because I see some flyes close of the lights of the other tortoises tanks because they looking to be warm too, so Im not sure is because the eggs are badly rotten or just looking for some warm. Flyes just lay on the cristal walls of the tank. I tried to smell closely the eggs ti check some bad odor but...nothing...

      Well...if you need more info to help me, just let me know snd I give you more details at request... Your help will be very appreciate..
    • kim larson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2011
        I'm guessing you didn't put these in an incubator at the correct temp? They sound like they are infertile. Next time, no matter if you think they are fertile or not, put them in a incubator (look up the correct temp for Red foots)and don't turn them. With reptile eggs turning kills the embryo inside.
        The flies are most likely scuttle or corpus (sp) flies, they show up when things are dead, rotting and damp.
        I recommend, read read read, so you know what to expect next time.
        Kim L
        Mich