  • Kathleen Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
      Hi! I just moved in with my son and his 2 boys 7& 9. They have 2 ball pythons housed together. Oce is about twice as big as the other. I do not think they are being fed often enough because my son is out of work and rats are expensive. I am taking over care & feeding of all their pets. How much, how often should they be fed? I want to teach the boys how to be responsible pet owners. Kathy

    • Amber Hallacy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2009
        I feed my adult ball about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks or so, sometimes more often in the summer, if she acts like she's hungry.
        I recommend to feed frozen/thawed if at all possible. I have seen too many horror stories of snakes whose lunch decided to lunch on them. Not a pretty sight. Balls can be a bit picky and temperamental about feeding. When I first got Ishtar, she had been fed live prey, but we really didn't have too much trouble getting her transitioned to F/T. We just let her miss a feeding ot two, and then fed her in her feeder box. She knows that when she goes in there, it is dinner time. :)

        Ishtar is actually the only snake we have that has a seperate feeder box...the others have been on frozen thawed food since they were very young and have not had any issues with striking the hand that feeds them...lol. I doubt Ishtar would either, but since she is used to the box, we still go ahead and use it.

        The only draw back to frozen/thawed food is that when family come over, we have to warn them to stay out of the freezer...lol. My mom still won't come in my house after going to the freezer to get ice for her drink and encountering the neatly marked bags of pinkies, fuzzies, hoppers, weanlings and small & jumbo rats...lol.

        Amber-mom to:
        Ruby, the red tail boa
        Ishtar, the ball python
        Brimstone, okatee cornsnake
        Loki, creamsicle cornsnake
        Lucky, baby rat snake
        Luna, bably blizzard cornsnake
        Geico the leopard gecko
        Alice, black widow spider
        Indigo, baby antilles pink toe tarantula

        From: Kathleen Carlson <cookids17@...>
        Subject: [Herpetology Central] (unknown)
        To: herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, November 5, 2009, 4:19 PM

      • kimba555@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
          Balls have seasons because of where they came from, Africa. They also go off food depending on the food size, live or frozen, type, being handled before being fed, the cage they are kept in, they are Balls, get to know your snake they will go back to eating, if you keep offering.

          I have heard of that thinking before (not feeding every week), and sometimes you end up with a snake that is always looking for food or that can put them off food. I believe if the snake is hungry, it gets fed, doesn't matter if it's two times a week or more. I have a female who's over 3000 grams very healthy, has given me eggs and I hope to get eggs this year also. I should also say I have mine in a snake rack made size wise for Balls. They tend to eat better in them, like being under the roots of a tree in Africa, I guess.

          Kim Larson in Mich.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2009
            Thanks for the info. I will try frozen for my little one that is afraid of the mice and I think one must have bitten her like you mentioned. You sound like a good herp mommy.
            Kathy, grandma to:
            Jade, medium ball python
            Talulah, small ball
            Bonnie, green Iguana