Re: THE MEANING OF THE WORD " CROCODILE " !

  • neisseria.m29e
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2009
      I translated only some ideas of the article but I hope to be usefull,
      now i'll upload the article at the "files" link *The comparison between
      what the different etymological dictionary say about "crocodile" or
      their equivalents in other languages reveals a surprising hesitation
      *They all get clear that this term comes from greek through latin, but
      while some write the greek word crocodeilos, other dictionaries use
      crocodilos. *Among the early works are as prestigious as those of
      Corominas, Bloch-von Wartburg, Ernout Meillet, and the Oxford English
      Dictionary;among the latter, Diego Garcia, Kluge, and Walde-Hofmann.
      This disagreement is especially striking because none of the authors
      refer to it. The article contains all the possible nomination of the
      word "crocodile" proposed or used by characters such as St. Isidore of
      Seville, H. Diels, Uhlenbeck, O. Keller, etc.; the study of the
      structure, phonetic, grammar, history, and other features of this word
      hope to be usefull :)
    • neisseria.m29e