Re: [Herpetology Central] Re: Cool environment/ My two cents

  • kimba555@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 15, 2009
      What do you mean by Room temperature? If you mean something around 68* and up, you could keep Rhacodactylus. Cresteds, Gargoyles, Chahouas, and Giant or Leachie Geckos. They don't have to have UV or heat if kept above those temps. My house is at 68* to 72 in the winter and they do just fine. They start breeding about March-April, and they are just great animals. I haven't met anyone who doesn't like the Leachies, they're like big puppies.

      Kim Larson
      The Exotic Egg
      Michigan

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 10, 2009
        The comment below was from the archives. I really like it. But I'm
        wondering why the day geckos are considered untouchable. I KNOW why the
        tokays are J. BTW I just got a tokay. (but knew before hand why)

        Laurie

        If you are looking into geckos, I like to split them into 2 groups. The
        "touchables", and the "untouchables". If you are looking for a gecko to
        handle, and interact with, go with leopard or fat-tail. If you want a "show"
        gecko, I suggest a giant day gecko, or a tokay gecko.

      • kimba555@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2009
          You can take the skin off a Day Gecko, it is delicate. There are others too, like the Frog Eyes, very cool and just to look at.

          Kim L

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 15 7:00 PM
            Two questions.

            1) Anyone know a good boa group?

            2) I saw a rosy boa years ago at a fair and the boy who had it talked
            about what wonderful pets they were. I have looked for one for years. I
            found one several hours away and arranged to purchase her. By the time I
            arrived, the husband had to go to school and I talked with the wife who
            "wasn't into snakes" and didn't know much about them. The boa was being
            housed in a Rubbermaid type container with air holes on newspaper. She bit
            and released when I tried to pick her up. Thinking I may have startled her
            or something I purchased her anyway. The owner had said she ate a mouse
            about every 10 days. She is now in a 20L with aspen shavings. She has had
            several mice, maybe one every 5 days. She still strikes when I try to pick
            her up. Several times I have had to run water on her to get her to release.
            It's not particularly painful, but not the pet I was hoping for. And I
            certainly don't want to subject any of my not-particularly-snake-loving
            family and friends to her. It seems she's always hungry. She is supposed
            to be about 20 months old. Any suggestions/ideas?

          • Hannah Owens
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 16 7:27 AM
              Hi Laurie!

              I've owned a rosyboa for over 10 years now.  He is an excellent pet, but like your snake he does strike me sometimes.  The best advice I can give you is to give your snake her space.  Does she have a hidebox or blanket, somewhere she can hide?  My boa loves soft blankets.  I put one in his cage and crumple it all up so there are lots of chambers and pockets he can hide in.  When he's hiding in his cage,  I leave him alone.  When he's crawling around wanting out, I get him out.  More often then not, he does not bite me.  In fact, he likes laying on my lap when I watch T.V. Sometimes when I go to grab him out of his cage, he will bite me.  I think I reach in too quickly and it starled him.  So I try and be slow and careful when I take him out.  Put an old shirt or blanket that has your scent on it in with your snake.  Snakes rely on smell to inform them of the world around them.  If your boa associates your scent with comfort, she may not
              want to strike at you as much.  Also, I only feed my boa every week and a half to two weeks.  She may be striking at you because she expects food all the time.  I hope this info. helps.  Just remember to be patient and understanding with your pet and realize she's not biting you to be mean.  I love my boa, he's a wonderful pet, but I still understand that being a snake owner means understanding the animal's needs.  Good luck with your boa!
                                                                                                    -Rosyboa38

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 16 7:41 AM
                I have a Rainbow Boa and her care is similar to a Rosy......

                I tend to move slower around her and make very delibrate movements so that she knows that I am picking her up and I have never been struck once by her, even taking her out of her feeding bin after she has eaten.....my husband on the other hand forgets that she is a little more timid than our corns and kings and moves to quick around her and has been struck about 5 times each time putting another notch in Rain's belt.....slower movement are the key in my opinion.

                I to only feed my boa about 1 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks they really do not need more than that, some snakes will eat every time you offer so that is not a sure sign of hunger.

                more time and handling will calm her a little but like any living being they can be crabby and times and really not want to be held.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16 1:38 PM
                  Hi. I've been a zoo keeper taking care of snakes for almost 10 years
                  and here's an idea I thought of to help you. Sorry if it's a repeat.
                  Do you feed your snake in his tank? If you do, he might be expecting
                  you to feed him when you reach your hand in his tank. A good practice
                  to start with feeding snakes is to take them out of their "home" tank
                  and place them in a different feeding "tub"... it can be a smaller tank
                  or Rubbermaid container or anything. Just something different so that
                  the snake doesn't associate your hand in his home tank with food. Also,
                  beware of aspen shavings and feeding snakes. If they accidentally
                  ingest aspen shavings that are stuck on their mouse or rat it can cause
                  them to become blocked, they cannot digest cellulose. I hope this
                  helps!

                  Good luck! J

                  Amanda Carey

                  Tropical America Zoo Keeper

                  acarey@...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16 2:18 PM
                    Wash your hands before you try pick up your snake.(you might have the scent of a mouse on your hand.) Do you keep mice in the same room as the snake.(It could be smelling them.) Is the only time you open the snake cage is when you are feeding the snake.(It could associate opening the cage lid with food.) OK with that in mind try putting a old unwashed shirt in the snakes cage. Then get a container to feed your snake in separate from, the cage with your shirt. Does your snake have hiding places at both end of the cage the warm end and the cold end of the cage. Feed your snake ever week but what until it has defecated when your snake has reached adult size feed ever 2 weeks. As for a good boa group, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boids007%c2%a0 I have 20 years experience keeping and breeding snakes. I captive breed boas for a living.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4, 2009
                      She is now in a 20L with aspen shavings. She has had
                      > several mice, maybe one every 5 days. She still strikes when I try to pick
                      > her up. Several times I have had to run water on her to get her to release.
                      > It's not particularly painful, but not the pet I was hoping for. And I
                      > certainly don't want to subject any of my not-particularly-snake-loving
                      > family and friends to her. It seems she's always hungry. She is supposed
                      > to be about 20 months old. Any suggestions/ideas?

                      She sounds like she's starving, or borderline. How much does she weigh? I bet she should be on small rats try offering 2 mice at the next feeding and if she does eat both feed that way for a bit. See if her temper improves with more food.

                      Sorry I am so late with this!

                      Kat
                    • kimba555@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                        I know what the books say about Rosys but in the store where I worked, we?had a couple. One was just horrible to pick up, if you had to clean her cage if you weren't careful you would get bitten. Not that horrible in it's self but like she said, she didn't want to let go.
                        Than we had others that were wonderful to handle, could be in teaching programs, and they were all fed, cleaned, cared for the same.
                        Just like every other critter, we're all different.

                        Kim Larson
                        Mich.