Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas

  • Robert & Michelle Stano
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2008
      Read about the proposal first before acting. If such a proposal goes
      into law this would be a huge impact on the hobby as a whole.

      Folks this is SERIOUS!!!! US Fish & Wildlife is proposing a ban of ALL
      SPECIES in the genera of Python, Boa & Eunectes (Latin for Anaconda).
      If this is passed, it will ban all interstate trade (that means buying
      & selling!) or importation of those genera (genera = plural for
      "genus") in the private sector.

      Eunectes = Anacondas
      Boa = includes ALL of the Boa constrictor species...yes, your
      Colombian boas, your red-tails, Argentine, Bolivian,
      Brazilian...anything whose scientific name starts with Boa constrictor...

      And folks, the genus "Python" encompasses the following:

      Ball pythons
      Angolan pythons
      Bloods & short-tails
      Burms/rocks
      Retics
      Timors

      If this goes through, herpetoculture as we know it is going to
      RADICALLY change, and NOT for the better! No more big reptile shows,
      because out-of-state vendors wouldn't be able to attend. No more
      buying your snakes from a breeder out of state. No more herpetoculture
      as it is right now!

      The time to act is NOW!!!!!!!

      Send your comments directly to the government here
      http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064803a565f

      This is the proposal found on the Regulations.gov site. I've added the
      link after the proposal if you would like to check it out.

      Injurious Wildlife Species; Review of Information Concerning
      Constrictor Snakes From Python, Boa, and Eunectes genera
      Send a Comment or Submission Send a Comment or Submission |
      Notification Notification

      We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service or We), are reviewing
      available biological and economic information on constrictor snakes in
      the Python, Boa and Eunectes genera for possible addition to the list
      of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act. An injurious wildlife
      listing would prohibit the importation into, or transportation
      between, States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto
      Rico, or any territory or possession of the United States by any
      means, without a permit. Permits may be issued for scientific,
      medical, educational, or zoological purposes …

      Agency: FWS Document Type: OTHER Comments Due: Apr 30, 2008
      Docket ID: FWS-R9-FHC-2008-0015 Document ID: FWS-R9-FHC-2008-0015-0001

      Site link for the proposal:

      http://www.regulations.gov/search/search_results.jsp?css=0&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ne=2+8+11+8053+8054+8098+807
      4+8066+8084+8055&Ntt=boas&sid=117DBE042B44

      UPDATE

      THIS IS AN UPDATE WHICH INCLUDES THE NEWS REPORT FROM PETHOBBIST

      COURTESY OF PETHOBBIST.COM AT:
      http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/index.php?/archives/202-Feds-Move-To-Ban-Pythons-Boas.html

      Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas

      The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has made a significant move towards
      banning the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors
      and Pythons in the United States.

      Quietly published in the Federal Register, the agency is accepting
      public comments until April 30th. If enacted this will devastate an
      already hard hit industry, dealing a fatal death blow to a large
      number of businesses dependent on this segment of the industry and
      drying up the supply of these pets to pet owners across the United States.

      Noted herpetologist, author, former zoo keeper, and one of the leading
      private researchers and breeders of pythons in the United States,
      David Barker, had this to say...

      This is the formal notification and request for public comments
      regarding the intention of USF&W Service to place ALL snakes in the
      genera Boa, Python, and Eunectes on the Injurious Wildlife List of the
      Lacey Act.

      If enacted as regulation, this will ban the importation of said snakes
      into the USA , and ban all interstate transportation of said snakes.

      There is a request made for public input and we feel it will be very
      important that all keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make
      written response before 30 April.

      This is VERY important. Don't take this lightly.

      Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there
      will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually
      they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant
      number of businesses and jobs. Pet owners will feel the pinch as dry
      goods suppliers and caging manufacturers stop producing products for
      that segment of the hobby, and eventually it will be impossible to
      obtain a new pet boa or python.

      To review the USF & W Service proposal, please look at the following
      document.

      http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf

      kingsnake.com will host a special chat on the proposed federal
      regulations.

      On Friday, February 29, at 10 PM Eastern, in kingsnake.com's Chat Room

      Invitations to participate as panelists have been submitted to the
      following individuals and organizations. As panelists are confirmed we
      will update this message and the guest list for Chat Week. More
      panelists may be added as required, and panelists that are unavailable
      will be removed from the list.

      Invited Panelists:

      * PIJAC
      * Reptiles Magazine
      * David/Tracy Barker - Vida Preciosa Intl.
      * Kamuran Tepedelen - Bushmaster Reptiles
      * Kevin McCurley - N.E.R.D. ~ confirmed
      * Jeff Ronne - The Boaphile
      * Rich Ihle - Salmonboa.com
      * Ralph Davis - Ralph Davis Reptiles

      * Jeff Barringer - kingsnake.com ~ confirmed
      * USF&W Service
      * Brian Sharp - Brian Sharp Reptiles
      * Bill Brandt - Gourmet Rodent
      * Wayne Hill - National Reptile Breeders Expo
      * Eugene Bessette - Ophiological Services
      * Bob Clark - Bob Clark Reptiles
      * Brian Potter - NARBC/Chicago Reptile House

      As the Federal Register outlines, only comments submitted in the
      format that they have specified will be reviewed. Comments on message
      boards, BLOGs, and petitions will not be accepted or reviewed. We
      recommend that everyone focus their efforts on submitting comments
      using the required procedure rather than methods that will not produce
      tangible results.

      Individuals and businesses may submit their comments at
      http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064803a565f.

      Please take time to review the proposal in full, and only submit
      comments relevant to the specific requests. General comments and
      abusive comments are liable to be discarded, unread. Please spell
      check your comments before submitting them.

      LACEY ACT OF 1900
      http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/ANS/ANSInjurious.cfm

      The Lacey Act (pdf file) is a law that dates back to the early 1900's
      and is one of the oldest wildlife related laws on the books. Under the
      Lacey Act, the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to regulate the
      importation and transport of species, including offspring and eggs,
      determined to be injurious to the health and welfare of humans, the
      interests of agriculture, horticulture or forestry, and the welfare
      and survival of wildlife resources of the U.S. Wild mammals, wild
      birds, fish, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians, and reptiles are the
      only organisms that can be added to the injurious wildlife list.

      Read This Link About The Lacey Act

      http://www.fws.gov/contaminants/ANS/ANSInjurious.cfm
    • Brian Dwyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2008
        Definitely not the way to do this, yes they can have a large impact on local species. But then again if these "animals" were in the hands of responsible (knowledgeable might be a better word) herpetoculturists or caretakers, this wouldn't become a problem. I'm from New York where Pataki already banned some species including Burmese Pythons, which have always held a special place in my heart. I've always thought a permiting system would be good, but according to this:

        Permits may be issued for scientific,
        medical, educational, or zoological
        purposes.

        Where are we left?

        Unfortunately this isn't the type of information the USFW aren't looking for, and I doubt it will be taken note of.

        We are soliciting public comments
        and supporting data to gain additional
        information and specifically seek
        comment on the following questions:
        (1) What regulations does your State
        have pertaining to the use, transport, or
        production of Python, Boa and Eunectes
        genera?
        (2) How many species in the Python,
        Boa and Eunectes genera are currently
        in production for wholesale or retail
        sale, and in how many and which
        States?
        (3) How many businesses sell Python,
        Boa or Eunectes species?
        (4) How many businesses breed
        Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
        (5) What are the annual sales for
        Python, Boa or Eunectes species?
        (6) Please provide the number of
        Python, Boa or Eunectes species, if any,
        permitted within each State.
        (7) What would it cost to eradicate
        Python, Boa or Eunectes individuals or
        populations, or similar species, if
        found?
        (8) What are the costs of
        implementing propagation, recovery,
        and restoration programs for native
        species that are affected by Python, Boa
        or Eunectes species, or similar snake
        species?
        (9) What State-listed species would be
        impacted by the introduction of Python,
        Boa or Eunectes species?
        (10) What species have been
        impacted, and how, by Python, Boa or
        Eunectes species?

        I will try to find as many of the answers to these questions as I can, regarding my area. But I will still include how I feel at the end. What are your thoughts on contacting legislators?