advice identifying snake from picture

  • maldermill
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2007
      Hello 'Herpetologycentral',
      My name is Malcolm. I have just joined the group and I was looking for
      some advice in identifying a snake from a picture I took while on
      holiday in Portugal.

      The image (a bit rough after scaling) is here:

      The location where the photo was taken is shown in this satellite image:

      I have looked at the very general guide to mediterranean wildlife I
      own and the snake most resembles the 'nose horned viper' - vipera
      ammodytes. However, that species isn't indicated for the area and from
      the picture my snake seems to have much smoother scales.

      Any advice would be welcome.

      Thanks.
    • kelgoarmy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2007
        --- In herpetologycentral@yahoogroups.com, "maldermill"
        <maldermill@...> wrote:

        > Hello 'Herpetologycentral',
        > My name is Malcolm. I have just joined the group and I was looking
        for
        > some advice in identifying a snake from a picture I took while on
        > holiday in Portugal.
        >
        > The image (a bit rough after scaling) is here:

        34e4?b=1

        > The location where the photo was taken is shown in this satellite
        image:

        34e4?b=2

        > I have looked at the very general guide to mediterranean wildlife I
        > own and the snake most resembles the 'nose horned viper' - vipera
        > ammodytes. However, that species isn't indicated for the area and
        from
        > the picture my snake seems to have much smoother scales.
        >
        > Any advice would be welcome.
        >
        > Thanks.

        From what I could see in the photo it may be an Eastern Hognose,
        though I can't be sure with out seeing the head and abdomin.
      • Eric Billings
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 14, 2007

          <maldermill@...> wrote:

          > Hello 'Herpetologycentral',
          > My name is Malcolm. I have just joined the group and I was looking
          for
          > some advice in identifying a snake from a picture I took while on
          > holiday in Portugal.
          >
          > The image (a bit rough after scaling) is here:

          34e4?b=1

          > The location where the photo was taken is shown in this satellite
          image:

          34e4?b=2

          > I have looked at the very general guide to mediterranean wildlife I
          > own and the snake most resembles the 'nose horned viper' - vipera
          > ammodytes. However, that species isn't indicated for the area and
          from
          > the picture my snake seems to have much smoother scales.
          >
          > Any advice would be welcome.
          >
          > Thanks.

          From what I could see in the photo it may be an Eastern Hognose,
          though I can't be sure with out seeing the head and abdomin

          Ok, i dont mean to point out a mistake, but i was not aware that the Eastern Hognose was to be found in Portugal.

        • ringlingj
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008
            Based off of the thick body, markings on the back and the color, it
            appears to be a long nosed adder.

            Ref:
            http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/poisonous-snakes-and-lizards-long-nosed-adder.htm

            Cheers,