Snapping Turtles

  • turtleconservationist
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2007
      Snapping Turtles are large and fearsome looking reptiles. Although
      they have an intimidating look, snapping turtles are shy creatures
      that will not attack swimmers or bathers. Snapping turtles have no
      real enemies in the water, so they have no reason to be aggressive
      there. People are also too large to be considered as a source of
      food to these turtles. If approached in the water, these turtles
      will merely crawl away. Furthermore, snapping turtles usually
      frequent murky and swampy areas of lakes and ponds. These areas are
      usually not popular swimming sites. These turtles are only defensive
      when they are threatened and feel vulnerable on land. This is due to
      the fact that the snapping turtle's bottom shell does not give it
      the adequate protection other turtles have. If left alone there is
      no reason that we cannot peacefully co-exist with these interesting
      and beautiful reptiles. If you leave them alone when encountered,
      there is no way of being hurt by one. Despite this, countless
      numbers of snapping turtles are heartlessly killed by people every
      year out of fear and a lack of understanding. Turtles are also
      hunted for food. This is far different than eating regular food like
      pork, chicken, or beef. These foods are bred for our consumption.
      Snapping turtles are not. Large scale harvesting of turtles can
      seriously harm population numbers, and in recent years the numbers
      of these turtles has fallen. Snapping turtles have been around for
      millions of years and we should give these creatures the respect
      they deserve. All they need from us is the freedom to be left alone
      without persecution.

      Notes:
      It is a common misconception that snapping turtles can be moved by
      holding them by their long tails. Handling turtles in such a way can
      cause serious damage to their spine. The best way to hold such a
      turtle(which is usually unnecessary) is by the back feet or back of
      the shell
    • andante huddleston